21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Spoked wheels give me boner

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
You shouldn't have put those spoke wheels on there lol...
You are fucked now :)

I love me some spokes for sure, but I think that the wheel choice in a way dictates were the rest of the build goes. If it's a modern take on cafe racers I say use the cast wheels. But if it is going to have a traditional cafe bike look use the spoke wheels.

My 2 on that lol,,, either choice looks great though!

·
Registered
334 Posts
sweet- been thinking of a build like this but with a ktm

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
im in the midst of getting a tank now. found a guy that has one of them raw tanks you see on ebay. this ones off a rd350lc, i won the action but i dont know if he'll give it up because i got it for 75 bux and they sell new for like 350 with out postage so i'll see how i go with that. ill get a tank before i start playing with the frame.

this it kinda what it'll look like with the rd tank and zx front end

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
hey guys, time to got that top end a look. not as bad as i thought but not that good ether, the cylinder is a bit scored, valves look ok, rods worn and there is a bit of brown glazing here and there looks like oil changes wasn't on the top of previous owners agenda.

what needs doing:
picked up a wiseco 11.1 hi comp piston +.50mm over bore so ill get it bored and honed, new rod i could probably use this one but its cheap insurance when im trying to get them extra HP's.
i would love to get a cam but they dont make a cheap out of the box hot cam for the 85-87 xr's and i dont want to get one made because it will cost me my first born child but maybe down the line some time.
little bit of head work i port matched the in take boot to the carbs from 28mm to 33mm, i will mach the head to that and taper it in from there and match the zorst. i'll do valve seals and lap the valves when i've got it apart.

i'd say i'll have an up date after xmas as i have a ban from spending at this great time of year:(.
p.s old buddy got back to me about the tank and has sent it, so i'll be keen to see how it fits up.
:sven:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Tank looks like it fits perfectly. Nice work

·
29 Posts
The tank looks killer!!! I'd flatten out the angle of the seat but thats just me. Either way I cant beleive how this bike has transformed!

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
that seat is just for mock up but i may have found a seat i can use from a rg125 i had sitting in my back yard. i hope to maybe recover and reshape to make it a bit more cafe.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
lol much better that it did when i got it, i always plan on doing an easy job of them but then making one part of it look too nice and then i have to match everything else haha got lots of pic of it being done up i should do a write up one day i've got a bit of a write up but didnt put much effort in it.
http://2fiftycc.com/index.php?threads/cafe-racer-project-kiffstas-old-gt250.1052/

pic from when i first got it home

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
How's the progress?

21 - 40 of 105 Posts