progress!! its all happening, bits back from the machine shop and parts ordered and on there way.
ok one of the hardest parts of this build is the back wheel/crush drive, there are a few write up about fitting a cbr600f3 wheel to a xr650l but none being really specific on what needs to done.
the crush drive was set in the mill and machined the back side to make it easier to fit the chuck on the lathe, i had 15mm taken from the sprocket face and 20mm from the body/bearing face. then had the center bored and sleeved to 47mm.
there will be a 2mm shim/spacer between the crush and wheel bearing.
M12x1.25 20mm long bolts for the sprocket.
the wheel was set in the lathe with some 'creative clamping' (didnt get a pic) and the gap out which my guy wasn't happy about, 8mm was taken from the bearing face and 8mm from the disc face.
both the wheel and crush will be running 6303 bearings with the cbr center spacer.
hey guys, front end is on just a little bit of spacing and some full lock stops to do there but i've come to a bit of a dilama and would like some in put.
i'm thinking of stealing back the RD tank and putting the h100 tank on the tracker, i think the RD tank makes the XR look more beefy and a bit more tougher but i'm not sure if its just the color. anyway let me know what you think.:excellent:
tracker, what ever isnt used on the xr will go on this.
RD TANK IT IS!!!!! when i really sat down and looked at it the rd tank was an easy choice and the sl230 ended up looking much better too.
much progress has been done from the last time i posted so let's get stuck in.
tank and seat mound are all done was a much easier task with out the other shock, the new shock is from a late 90's cbr 900 just had to drill the mounts to 12mm to fit, my new lathe helped with this:rock:
i also turn down the rear cbr sprocket from a 530 to 520 by taking it down to 6mm thick, i have had to space back the front sprocket about 4-5 mm should have left that much on the crush drive, wheel are done with 2mm on each side and 3mm between crush and rim.
i'll put a pic of the bottom triple sleaved and xr stem pressed in.
its all moving very smooth next up is rear brake master mount up.
got motivated over the weekend and slapped an engine together with the more worn parts of the two engines.used the better piston and cylinder give it a hone lapped the valves and installed about a half dozen helicoils, new valve seals and lots of frustration i got a motor together and got it to start.
i think this motor should go alright, the only real bad part is the cam and rockers have a decent amount of wear.
i plan on building up the better motor and having something running in the bike should help with motivation.
engine mounts are done, only had to make up the front one's, i could just elongate the rear bracket and i found the top one in the box of bits.
make up a side cover for the air box with some sheet steel so i didnt have to buy one.
now to the exhaust, i had them headers i was making and they were super crap i tried to fix them up but they were getting worse so i picked up some new xr headers off ebay 160 bucks small price to pay to stop the frustration. maybe i'll get some new pipe down the track and make the under slung exhaust but i kinda like the way the stock herders mound up.
Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
A forum community dedicated to Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, builds, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!