Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up a xr400r from a friend. The bike is a 1996 got It in a bunch of parts and it needs basically a full look over/ cleaning. The good thing is it has a street title witch can be a PITA to get in NY. Well I know you guys love pics so ill throw some up. Also any comments or suggestions are welcome.

The day i got the bike

Engine out. trying to find out exactly where an oil leak is coming from.

Gas tank had a bunch of scratches in it friend bondoed it and I smoothed everything out and repainted it.
After installing new rotors, brake pads and some cleaning

Thats it for now but this up coming week I have three days of so I can DW!:D

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started my first engine rebuild. Going to be interesting for sure,
I found out that the oil was leaking out from two gaskets. One of them is easy to get to the other... Not so much.
cleaned the engine up a bit and then got to work on tearing it down.

Valves look like they need to be replaced?

So does the piston

I'm going to be doing alot of cleaning because I don't have the funds for everything I need yet but with in the next few weeks I should have a freshly rebuilt engine!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used paint stripper to get all the carbon gunk off my pistons and valves when I did a rebuild on my 175, as long as the piston isn't pitted, you should be fine just cleaning it up. I'd get new rings though, fairly cheap and restore compression.

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used paint stripper to get all the carbon gunk off my pistons and valves when I did a rebuild on my 175, as long as the piston isn't pitted, you should be fine just cleaning it up. I'd get new rings though, fairly cheap and restore compression.
sweet good to hear, I was talking to a guy at work and he said basically the same thing. I would rather clean up stuff and only replace what I have to. IDK much about this kind of stuff I usually just do carbs and valve adjustments this is my first im going so far inside an engine, I'm looking forward to learning tho.

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well a little update for today. I cleaned the piston

Also did some cleaning on the head trying to find away to get all the dirt out from the fins..
Did a check on the valves and found that both my exhust ones are leaking, I'm thinking the seals, going to pull them tomorrow and continue my tear down into the crank case :rock:

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bit of an update. Got the lower case opened waiting on a little bit of extra cash to get some parts. Going to paint the frame today!

·
210 Posts
Do a big bore, it'll really rip after that! If you wanna save money, i'd tear down the stock wheels and buy Warp 9 hoops with Buchanan spokes

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
going to stick with the stock stuff for now. Its the best route at the moment.

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well did a tear down of the lower engine and replaced all the gaskets and checked everything. Now I just have to get some piston rings and re-hone the cylinder then the top end can go on!
Also got the frame painted up and swingarm.

·
jANITORIAL TECHNITION
1,138 Posts
Well did a tear down of the lower engine and replaced all the gaskets and checked everything. Now I just have to get some piston rings and re-hone the cylinder then the top end can go on!
Also got the frame painted up and swingarm.
pics or it didnt happen ! lol just messin with ya .;)

·
I do gooD?
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dropped my phone with the good camera in an oil pan :doh: while working on getting the bottom done,

·
jANITORIAL TECHNITION
1,138 Posts
I dropped my phone with the good camera in an oil pan :doh: while working on getting the bottom done,
Lol. That blows. Ive actually dropped mine out of a pocket durring a quick test and tune around the block. Noticed i lost it and was lucky enough to find it. Had some road rash but worked fine. Lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts