Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike : 1979 Yamaha xs11 special (1100cm, 5speed, aircooled, shaft drive, 29k miles)

My short term plans: drive the piss out of it befor winter, fix/repair 35 years of abuse

Long term plans: make it in to a daily driver, upgrade and modernize the suspension, frame, fuel system, I have a idea for a bobber / cruiser modular frame, I foresee this bike going thru many deferent shapes and styles over the next few years, I've also been thinking about front fork swaps and monoshocks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics,

Pretty much how it was when I got it after some cleaning, repairs and a little paint

More of the bobber look

Right now I'm preparing for a 1500 mile round trip from northern Kentucky to Tennessee's dragon tail and deals gap

Thoughts, comments and suggestions welcome

·
Registered
53 Posts
The rear fender removed has a cool look to it. Ina weird way lol Nice fork bag btw

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need some help guys. I'm looking for front fork swaps. I want the handling upgrade, braking upgrades and the look of USD forks. I have searched... And searched. Here is what I have found. A fj front forks can me modded, I've seen one or two R1 front forks used with some mods, hayabusa front ends have been used with little to no mods. With all this being said I have found a 2002 r6 with no motor or fuel tank (I'm not sure what else is missing) the guy said he would take $500 for it or $100 for the front forks. What's a 2002 r6 frame with good title worth? If I buy it for the front end can I get my money back out of the frame? Will the r6 forks be heavy enough for my xs11?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
You should be able to easily get your money back. I don't know if they will be strong enough. I don't see why they wouldn't be. Someone that knows a bit more about these forks should be able to help you out. I would go ahead and buy them. Worse case you can sell the forks on ebay and get way more than 100 for them especially if its the whole setup

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
A set of USD's, or any modern fork, won't necessarily give you improved or even good handling.

One thing to keep in mind is rake and trail. Long story short, most vintage bikes have a ton of offset in the trees and lots of sport bikes have very little offset. Since you won't be changing your rake by swapping forks, the different offset could jack up your trail number reak fast. Resulting in either really twitchy or really lazy steering. Try to keep those dimensions in mind.

Also, a lot of modern forks are real short and will put an older bike in the dirt.

Measure what you got, see what dimensions other bikes use and go from there.

The best, most modern internals aren't worth shit if your rake and trail are jacked up.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I don't have my bike here where I can measure but I found this online

Rake29º 30
Trail130 mm / 5.1 in
Does that make since to anyone?

Those are pretty relaxed steering numbers. Not as relaxed/ lazy as a chopper or cruiser may be, but still pretty relaxed. Now measure how much offset is in your trees ( distance from centerline of the steering stem to the centerline of your fork tubes). The more trail the slower the bike handles. Which isn't necessarily bad. I personally like a kinda slow bike. I ride a lot of highway and I like that I don't have to hold on to the handle bars. Trail on a bike basically equates to caster on a auto.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And bc every one loves pics here's a few
Auto part Floor Subcompact car
Flat bars I found at my house (1" won't work)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
How they would look
Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Auto part Chopper
Messed around and got my bars flipped upside down
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Chopper
Pretty much as the bike sits tonight
Room Wood Plumbing fixture Floor Circle
Hammered out a dint and premiered the headlight bezel

1 - 20 of 38 Posts