Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://catskills.craigslist.org/mcy/3929045814.html

Been eyeing this one. Its close to me, but I'm curious what you guys think. 1500 seems a little high (more like twice the kbb trade in), but my theory on a private sale is I'm not gonna low ball you below what a dealer would offer, but I'm not gonna pay what a dealer would charge, since you're not a dealer. I'm thinking rarity might play a factor, but still. What do you guys think?

Oh, and I did ask, it has a clean clear title.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
With some of these bikes kbb isn't always the most accurate thing to base price on. I must agree 1500 seems a little high, but if it truly has new brakes, tires, fork seals and shocks then it may be worth it. Plus paint looks good, seat isn't worn like crazy. And if it runs then sweet. It just depends if you really want it.

No one wants to pay asking price. No one. So offer him a few hundred less than you want to pay then work your way up from there. I'm telling you it works sometimes. I've gotten decent deals doing that. It may not be morally right, but if you can save a few bucks then why not.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, I can't really afford that. My top is 12, as discussed and agreed upon with the wife. Bars are not stock, those are dirty bars, so I could always play the resto route, and try to nickel him that way.

But as far as price, for comparison, I saw another one (1980 XS1100) and they were asking 1200, which if not seeing that on kbb first, I prolly would've shot for an initial offer. Lol. But that is so much more reasonable, for the amount of bike. And it looked like it was a really clean bike. Like one those kind of guys are about waxing and shit. Lol. If only that guy would respond. :doh:

But, if I don't get anything back on the 11, ill try for the 750. Have to feel him out and see if he knows his shit. A guy whose not afraid of some unconventional mods I wouldn't mind paying for their work, but I don't want to insult him. Lol. I'm thinking of trying for $1k, and topping out at 12 cash, but we'll see...

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
No one wants to pay asking price. No one. So offer him a few hundred less than you want to pay then work your way up from there. I'm telling you it works sometimes. I've gotten decent deals doing that. It may not be morally right, but if you can save a few bucks then why not.
I didn't say you should pay 1500. I just said that it seemed like an okay price thennnnnn^^^^^^^ offer him a few hundred less than what you WANT to pay and go from there.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trust me, I'm no stranger to negotiation. Its how I got $2k off my car, and $20k off my house. :D

I was set to throw 1200 (final offer) at it, until I saw the eleven, and was like wait a minute... just wondering if anyone knew something about these Yammers and why the wonky price differential.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Just emailed the dude who posted the 11 for the third and final time, if nothing, then I guess it wasn't meant to be. Ill pursue this 750. Just hoping I can get him down to 1200 or less...

At $1200 that 11 was worth it all day long ,probably gone within minits . Def more offa collecters bike than tha triple andda much better motor to boot! I worked Inna Yam shop ferra couple of years back in England and got to see them motors inside out and uposide down,both solid bikes and decent handling fer big heavy chunks that they are . Prices are what tha owner makes them on the old beasts,they get what they can and def have to have a lotta flex with there bottom dollar wants .GL with yer potential purchase ,look out for smokey exhaust,rattly cam chains ,clunky gears are normal slipin out of gear is a no no ,old electrics can get rteely succky;).:robssmilie:

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Oh that 750 woud be worth about 800 here ,if I went to haggle for it I woud spend no more than 600 but i need to turn a wee profit .

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oooo, thems nice rides. Cheap cheap too. Problem in this area is we are pretty much in between NYC and Albany, so shit around here is well inflated in price. But I've been emailing the seller and asked if it was a firm price, and he said he had an offer for $1k. Gonna look at it tonite, and if its good, I'll see if cash in hand will get for a grand, but I'm willing to go to 12 if it seems worth it. If so, ill be riding her home tonite. Stoked. Thanks for all the feedback

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Oooo, thems nice rides. Cheap cheap too. Problem in this area is we are pretty much in between NYC and Albany, so shit around here is well inflated in price. But I've been emailing the seller and asked if it was a firm price, and he said he had an offer for $1k. Gonna look at it tonite, and if its good, I'll see if cash in hand will get for a grand, but I'm willing to go to 12 if it seems worth it. If so, ill be riding her home tonite. Stoked. Thanks for all the feedback

updates?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts