Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Thanks for enabling and maintaining this forum! I have been looking for a while and because of what I've seen in these pages, I have decided to take a chance a build my first project. I have already made some traction on the project and I will post some images pdq...

I am married, have a family and all the usual stuff, so building the bike is a big stretch for me financially, but I am determined to make it happen. Anyways, I look forward to interacting with you guys and I hope to both learn and contribute along the way!

Jeff

Attachments

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Welcome in mate! Nice progress so far; don't forget to start your own build thread in the Member Project Bikes section as more updates come along. Love the blend of old and new so far

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys - I will start a dedicated build thread soon... Also, the rototiller belongs to the dude who sold me the bike ;-) I actually own a troy built :-D

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Damm good work so far mate ,keep it up fer sure ! Welcom in

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
Welcome bro.

The bike is looking good. Good work on the swingarm, it looks pretty solid.

I like that seat on there, it looks good. Are those newer forks? They look good on there as well.

Good luck on this bike, I look forward to seeing it take shape

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the encouragement guys...

BlackBII - the forks are newer indeed. I think they come off of a 90s yzf600 or something... I wish I could take credit for the swingarm work, but I have a guy at a local bike shop who is doing the mod. I gave him a bunch of pics of your xs850 build as an example to work from. Resting on the forks is a carbon fiber fender I got on ebay.

The seat comes from a ducati monster and (not pictured) is a cowl that fits over the tail section. I know that having accommodations for a second rider may be out of style for this forum, but I still want to have the option and I'm trying to figure out the best way to achieve this without it looking like $#!+...

Something I am interested in doing with this bike is an EFI conversion with throttlebodies off of a triumph 675 triple - here's a link to someone else who is attempting this: http://biobug.org/motorcycle/xs850/custom-efi/

I have tried to ask the guy of he had any success or not, but have not gotten any responses. Not being that familiar with EFI conversions, I am wondering about fuel pumps, fuel pressure etc... any thoughts?

Anyways, looks like it's time for me to go ahead and start a thread for this build. The timing really sucks because I am getting ready to move my family and my finances will be tapped for a while, but I intend to finish this thing in time for some summer riding.

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
Well your guy at the local bike shop is doing a good job on the swinger. With the cowl that fits over the seat I think it'll look really good. When I was looking at seats for my bike, the monster was one that I was considering.

For the EFI, I would go with a the Microsquirt module. Much smaller than the megasquirt and so fitting it somewhere wouldn't be an issue.

You would need to get a fuel pump, I would just run an external in line one, so you don't have to fit on in the tank. You will need to get a MAP sensor hooked up across all three intake ports, along with some sort of Idle control, such as a Ford IAC valve, which can be arranged to just use vacuum lines which makes it easy.

For the spark control, I would just run the stock setup. It's electronic and fairly reliable. Doing so would also allow you to use the existing pickup wire to drive the injector pulses through the microsquirt module, as it can use the signal from the electronic igniton.

As far as tuning it, you would be on your own. Firing intervals and injector pulse length would be a trial and error process, but once you got it figured out it would be pretty slick.

Also, I don't know how well the 675 throttle bodies line up with our intake boots, but the other option would be the fuel injected triumph 900's from the early 2000's.

So, it'd be quite a lot of work, but a pretty big payoff in terms of power, economy and tuneability. However, there is also the problem of power supply. These EFI units need a solid voltage to run, and the stock stator doesn't put out all that much juice, so at idle you would be drawing alot of current from the battery, so I would look at a lithium ion battery from Moty or another similar company.

I am looking forward to more progress though! When you get pics, post em.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, thanks for welcoming me into this awesome forum! I really appreciate the advice and comments I have already received! As such, here's a little visual gift to get you through the day! Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts