Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Gonna go get that video here in a second...but first...

Do you think the xs1100 tank would fit on the xs850? I think i have a line on one and will jump at it if so.

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
I think the 1100 tank would look enormous on the 850, but I'm sure you could make it work. If I remember right, it was both wider and longer than the 850 tank, so you may need to modify your mounting points.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

notice the really weird choke...when the choke is off, is the only time it is working decently.
and i am aware the throttle is sticking. lll get all this fixed...main concern is backfiring.

Ideas?

im pretty sure that, from what I've read, a muffler will fix this because I need more back pressure. soo, if you all agree, I might take the bike to get 3 into 1 and then look to get a sport bike slip on.

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
You don't need 'backpressure', but that is a whole 'nother discussion.

The idea is to keep the exhaust gas' velocity high, by using the correct diameter pipe. What happens when the pipe is too large, is that the exhaust gas slows down because it has to fill more volume, and it also loses heat faster. A muffler can band-aid this by creating a bottle neck effect, much like the nozzle on the end of a garden hose. The same amount of water is coming out, just at a higher velocity.

And that's just where it starts. However, I do recommend making or buying a 3-1 exhaust, bevcause every bike I have done has run a lot better after getting a 4-1, 3-1, 2-1, etc. They equalize exhaust flow and take advantage of the vacuum left behind each pulse.

When you had your carbs apart, were you able to see what size jets were in it?

And when the choke gets turned on, and the bike dies, it makes it look like it's running rich. Have you looked at your air jets and nozzle? Again, I don't know much about the hitachis, but there should be some screws you can adjust to change the mixture at idle.

Does it backfire/miss when you are cruising speed, 4-5000 rpm? How's it act under full throttle?

Here is one 3-1
http://yamaha-triples.org/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14995&posts=2&start=1

And you can new MAC systems for like 300 off ebay

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
I dunno guys, but I run completely unbaffled straight pipes that are pretty short and I run damn good. The piping I used was even one size up, I think it's 1 5/8" up from the stock 1 1/2", but I used full length header wrap so I'm sure my in-pipe egt's are higher. I really feel like the timing and carbs are the culprit. Messing with the exhaust first might just disguise the problem and cause a false solution.

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
I agree, the carbs are the more likely culprit, as I too have had completely straight piped bikes that ran great. I was just trying to explain the exhaust side of things.

Did you check the timing?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think the 1100 tank would look enormous on the 850, but I'm sure you could make it work. If I remember right, it was both wider and longer than the 850 tank, so you may need to modify your mounting points.

Enormous good or enormous bad :) seriously though...I can't find a decent tank for a decent price to save my life.

Im gonna pick up a timing light tomorrow...I did read about it in the book...but it makes me nervous.
:CK187:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

ok, soooooo...took off the cover, hooked up timing light...figured out which way we need to adjust...BUTTTTT...the screws are not there like they are in the service manual. instead..we have these rivets (or what my friend thinks are tiny itty bitty little hex heads) that i cant unscrew or adjust. the service manual shows those three spots as big slotted screws that you just unscrew..this is much much much different
HELP

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
NEW FORKS!!!!
Had some trouble with the bearings..have to probably pull it all back apart and try to get the steer tube threaded down about a quarter of an inch further. basically have a spacer in there for now. also need to drill the top of the triple tree to fit the risers for the drag bar( went with a drag bar instead of clip ons...we will see..might regret it later.

Old forks, rotors, calipers, wheel, tire, triple tree (2) fender, light bracket, handle bars..and more soon to be up on that auction site!!

Still long way to go...

still having trouble with the timing..if anyone has an answer on how to loosen those "rivets" then i'd really like to hear it.

need to figure out if im going to keep certain things or upgrad..ie: hydro clutch. I am starting to really hate the cable.

took the exhaust off...they are pretty much the biggest hunks of junk and were basically rusted on. think it's a good idea im planning to upgrade

anyone know if i switch the levers and controls on the handlebars, if i have to make sure it all links up somehow? or if it all should fit everything...aka..brake lines and blinkers/lights

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
try grabbing the heads of the 'screws' with a pair of vise grips, but make sure you use a pair with good jaws that aren't beat up

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I think that's vise grips wont fit in there...these things are so small...I tried to fit a 4mm socket on the heads and it was too big

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This is a picture of us trying to unscrew the unscrewable with vice grips.
Not happening. had to break out the rust clad babys that i never ever use.

Anyone need an ignition for an early CBR600?

This is where I am stopping tonight.

Anddddd..this is Walter; one of the guys who helped me today...hes had enough for all of us. haha
Scott prefered to remain off camera

21 - 40 of 136 Posts