Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I wish it were that easy... but I do think I might have figured it out. I'm thinking the original bolts snapped off and this is what's left

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
I wish it were that easy... but I do think I might have figured it out. I'm thinking the original bolts snapped off and this is what's left
Some manufacturers use bolts like this. They are torqued down and when they hit the right spec, the head snaps off. This makes it so they cannot be tampered with easily.

When you put a timing light up to it, what is it currently at?

It looks like you can adjust the timing with that flat head screw in the upper left. If you loosen that, can you slide the point a little bit? There should be timing marks on that slider.

New forks look good!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The timing was off. Read 1F which, because of the book, I know what to do.
I think you are right Black, cause that is def what it seemed like. No worry..I manned up and just drilled them out. And they are out now. Will replace with something actually use-able on Monday when I get back from vacation (where I am now).

Also, that link to the 3-1 exhaust...good call. Talked to the guy, and he's shipping me those pipes, a set of MKII's and potentially a standard tank. All for a great deal. Everyone has been so helpful with this..its amazing. This is what forums are for. My buddy who is on a forum for building custom model planes is completely jealous cause he said his forum is full of a bunch of jerk faces. ha.

ok..back to the matter at hand. I can't wait to set the timing and put a good set of carbs and pipes on there and see how much better it sounds/runs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
is it possible to use another battery? this ones a MONSTER!! I'd love to put it down under the carbs/air filters...or even hide it under the tank.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
One other thing, if you have the budget for it, is to look for some Mikuni carbs. Either off a triumph sprint, being 36mm flat slide mikunis, or, off an xs750, being 34mm MKII's (which is what I used on my 850)
What size Jets did you put in there? just change the main jets? or the pilot jets too.

I'm hoping i should get the Carbs in this week. might as well be ready.

ps. I remember reading your 850 build and you waiting for your seat to come in....
IT REALLY DOES TAKE FOREVER (or at least feels like it)

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
I would go with a moty design battery or something similar. They are very small and very light, but have great power

Do you know what year xs750 the carbs are off of?

I'm running 42.5 pilots, 132.5 mains and the stock needles raised one notch, and it seems to run pretty good.

When you get your carbs, I would pull the bowls off and see what jets it has in it, give them a quick clean if needed, and put them on your bike. Start it up and see how it runs and then put in bigger jets if needed

And yeah, waiting for the airtech seat seems like forever!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Do you know what year xs750 the carbs are off of?
Sorry took me so long to find out. 1977 XS750D. The 3-1 are from a 1976 750. I'm assuming the tank is off of one of those models as well since its all coming from the same guy/bike

Im actually a little concerned, cause I just tried to look up the specs on it and I dont think the MKII's came on them until 1978 and were MKI's up until then. Unless im reading something wrong...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
ok, bike is off getting custom 3-1 pipes fitted to it right now. should be back today.

here is a crazy thought...what about this for a muffler?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIV...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5e6007d2

i realize this is probably intended for a car, but i saw one on a bike and it sounded great...plus it would provide some pressure.

Im thinking seriously about this so tell me if its a totally dumb idea, or innovative and you all want to see it and see it work.

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
There is no reason you can't use that muffler. At 4" round it shouldn't look too enormous. Internally, it'll be the same as any other muffler, just a perforated tube wrapped in fiberglass. Just like arrow, yoshi, fmf, etc. Mufflers like these are a very simple design.

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
if u like the way it looks, u should go for it. the only thing i would worry about is the overall diameter of the canister, it's prolly like 5-6"

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
if u like the way it looks, u should go for it. the only thing i would worry about is the overall diameter of the canister, it's prolly like 5-6"
Ah, yeah. Looks like the outlet is 4", so the canister itself is probably 5-6". Good catch, I read it wrong.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
ok, I had an ankle injury which has kept me from doing much on this bike, but I got it back with the new exhaust headers and have to paint them black now. I also got some answers on those mufflers..the large section is 5" and I don't think that will look too ridiculous. I have settled on one of these two and I need your opinions which you like more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIV...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a13a76829

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Sl...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f09d433a1
Im leaning towards the second..

They look semi rebuildable, but those might be rivets as well..if that is the case, could always drill them out and put actual screws in there and be all set.

As far as attaching them..i was thinking something like this with band clamps:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1388aa27
Turbos get hot..and this thing is rated to 500 degrees F so I'm thinking it might be a good solution. it would look cool, help keep it cool on the outside and stop any exhaust leaks.

Whatcha think?

Oh, and the guy who was supposed to send me the original exhaust and carbs and tank..hes MIA...so maybe I will have to start looking again. Thinking about taking a 3rd crack at these Carbs, especially since i have 3-1 now and that should make it work better overall.

On a brighter note..should have my seat next week..SHEESH!!!!

is anyone even interested to see pictures? not a whole lot has changed, but i can show you the exhaust and a pic of the bike hanging at the shop. haha...if not, ill just keep about my day

oh..also..Black..gots another million dollar question for you. I see you are also building a CBR600F2. well..the fork i got is off an F3...which i think is just funny how that worked out...BUT...my question is, those bikes used a different method to measure speed other than the standard speedo cable around the hub. Hooked up to the engine or..something electronic..i dunno. Since i just have the front fork and wheel and all that jazz..what would you suggest to now be able to track my speed. My one buddy is lobbying for me to get a GPS speedo...but that is a lot of money, and this is Custom Fighters..not Custom give-me-an-easy-yet-very-expensive-solution.

HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND EVERYONE!

·
ARNOLD!
501 Posts
I like the second muffler, and the clamps should work fine.

Did you pay the guy for the exhaust carbs and tank? I can start a fuss over at yamaha triples if needed....

The F2 I did had a regular speedo gear on the axle with a cable going into the speedometer, but I am pretty sure the F3 uses an electronic unit. I am not sure what type of signal the F3 speedo uses...

I would look into an aftermarket gauge, like the Trail Tech Vapor or the Koso gauges. They use a magnetic pickup that you install on the brake rotor

http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/

I'm sure there are other companies, those are just two that I know of

41 - 60 of 136 Posts