Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I don't have the bike just yet but I just looked at it and gave the guy a deposit. Picking the bike up on Wednesday. Paying $2600 total.

Bike was crashed at the track, destroying all the OEM fairings so I don't have any body work to worry about removing. I just need to get tail fairings, tail light, headlight and mirrors and it will be street legal. I already test rode it and except for the forks being twisted in the triples, the bike is perfect mechanically. 8167 miles on it, not bad for a 2004! Bone stock too except for Sato rearsets.

No huge plans right now for this bike. Just adding dirty bars to it and cleaning up the wiring. I'm going to get some cheapy driving light for now to make it street legal but I want to use either the headlight for a FZ1N (like jimmydean in another R1 thread) or maybe the headlight from a Ducati Streetfighter. That headlight has a great look to it.

Here are some pics that the current owner sent me.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Sweet project man. I think those are sweet lookin bikes. Should be pretty easy to get it going. Doesn't look to be all that bad either. You're already on the right track, lots of pics.

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet project man. I think those are sweet lookin bikes. Should be pretty easy to get it going. Doesn't look to be all that bad either. You're already on the right track, lots of pics.
Ya, I like pics and know how everyone on this forum is about not having pics in the thread :fu:

The bike is rideable now, just needs a bracket for the gauges and lights front and rear to make it street legal. Registration is even current and the plate is on the bike.

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah it looks like it flipped, landed on the tank then slid on the left side for a good bit. The first pic makes the under brace on the left side look pretty bad. Is it or is the arm still okay?
Bike went down twice, once on each side. First was a low side on the left that caused the scratches on the swingarm but did not damage it otherwise. Looks worse than it really is. The second crash did the majority of the damage. It was in a high speed right hand sweeper on the track, low side. Bike rolled and broke the subframe along with destroying all the plastics.

The tank isn't damaged either surprisingly, just the harsh scratches that you see in the pic and a quarter size ding on the left side that is hardly noticeable. The only real damage was a small cosmetic dent in the frame from the subframe. No broken welds and it's in the bend of the frame so a very structurally strong area. Also the exhaust has some good dents in the bottom just before it turns up thru the swingarm which is causing the tail pipes to be a little skewed. No leaks from the exhaust and everything bolted up fine so it does not affect performance in any way.

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gawddamn I can't wait to get this bike and DW!! Doing so much thinking of what I wanna do or try with this bike.

First things first, mounting something for headlight on it. I was originally considering getting some driving lights from the local auto store but then I remembered that I am getting the stock headlights with this bike. Now I am thinking I might just mount the upper fairing again to support the lights and give me a little wind protection since I ride year round. I'd only leave that on for the winter tho, swapping on a single light and no fairings at all during the summer. Maybe I can figure out a simple way to make it a quick and easy swap so I have it for longer rides and winter months....

·
G-Fighter
175 Posts
Love it...The 04 - 07 R1 are awesome fighterd out! Will be following your progress. If I can help along the way...just give me a shout.

:yamaha::yamaha::party::yamaha::yamaha:

·
GURU
1,496 Posts
that sucks man. two weeks will be here sooner than you know.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
good pickup. :party-smiley:

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Playing with some ideas for color schemes. Keeping the red/magenta tank and will paint the tail fairings the same color when I get them.

Tank front and side panels will be CF as will the front fender. Going to keep the stock exhaust cans for now but paint them black. Also going to paint the lower triple clamp black.

Having trouble deciding on the color for the wheels. I'm leaning towards a Ti/goldish color but also think it would look good with wheels matching the tank color.

Attachments

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Picked the bike up last night...Finally!! :party-smiley:

Been doing work already. Got the forks straight in the triples and been figuring out the wire routing since it's staying nekkid. Done some cleaning and other misc things too. Anyhow, pics...

Kinda hard to tell, the wheel was pointing left when the bars were straight.

What was left of the fairing stay.

My "garage" for now since it has gotten cooler and darker outside.

·
Dookie Knot
44 Posts
What a deal! I'll be watching this one to what direction it takes! Now get dirty and DW son!

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Waiting on parts to come in right now. Tail light, upper and lower tail pieces and a clamp to replace the factory fork clamp so I can retain the steering damper when I swap to dirt bars. I've gotten too used to having one when riding on the track and the factory was nice enough to provide a damper so I might as well keep it on there.

For now, my focus is getting the bike street legal so I can start riding it. Need to figure out gauge mounting and headlight mounting. I was testing the headlights last night and even the stock headlights aren't working right now so I have to chase that down. I also want to flush the cooling system and see if I can shorten a couple of the radiator hoses to clean them up some. Got the rear seat recovered with a factory replacement yesterday too. The stocker got tore up when the PO crashed the bike.

·
G-Fighter
175 Posts

Nice....My wife would piss wooden nickles if she came home and I had my bike in the house....:rock:.

I have always wanted to have my bike in the living room...Center piece of art.

I just did a road trip on my R1 this weekend and it sure did draw a crowd. I don't know if it was out of curiosity, are they just were trying to figure out what the hell it was. I love the new ergonomics and she handled awesome.

Looken forward to your build... Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts