Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looking good! Other than the slip on exhaust, what performance mods (if any) have been done or are planned? . . .
I'm also digging the shiny rim strips. Is that an add on sticker or did the PO shine up just that part of the wheel?
Pipercross air filter + sprockets - 1 down on the front and 1 up on the back. All that's needed!
Shiny rim strips are coming off...I hate them!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pipercross air filter + sprockets - 1 down on the front and 1 up on the back. All that's needed!
Shiny rim strips are coming off...I hate them!
Yamaha corked up the GenII FZ1 pretty badly. Stock exhaust headers are too short (so they could fit a Cat) . They also deliberately programmed the secondary throttle plates to open slowly and have ignition based power restrictions in the low gears. Fuel cut on deceleration also makes for an abrupt return to power which can really mess you up when leaned over in a turn. Bottom line is that the bike benefits immensely from some mods. Full exhaust is best but as a minimum, gut the cat. ECU flash from a good source really transforms the bike powerwise but it also is so much smoother and better throttle control. Check out: Ivan's Performance Products for good info. Vcyclenut offers a cheaper flash that is pretty good but Ivans if it is in the budget.
I've had a GenII since 2009 and fully kitted it is a great machine. Enjoy!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yamaha corked up the GenII FZ1 pretty badly. Stock exhaust headers are too short (so they could fit a Cat) . They also deliberately programmed the secondary throttle plates to open slowly and have ignition based power restrictions in the low gears. Fuel cut on deceleration also makes for an abrupt return to power which can really mess you up when leaned over in a turn. Bottom line is that the bike benefits immensely from some mods. Full exhaust is best but as a minimum, gut the cat. ECU flash from a good source really transforms the bike powerwise but it also is so much smoother and better throttle control. Check out: Ivan's Performance Products for good info. Vcyclenut offers a cheaper flash that is pretty good but Ivans if it is in the budget.
I've had a GenII since 2009 and fully kitted it is a great machine. Enjoy!
Cheers for the info!
I've read all about the potential mods you can do to these, but the bike rides great as is. Plenty torque with the new gearing and it's running nice n crisp with the filter/SC Project can. Not going for a land speed record any time soon. I'm Happy..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cheers for the info!
I've read all about the potential mods you can do to these, but the bike rides great as is. Plenty torque with the new gearing and it's running nice n crisp with the filter/SC Project can. Not going for a land speed record any time soon. I'm Happy..
Cool.
Mine's an 06 and the throttle was particularly snatchy. I did all the mods available back then as a young man looking for speed but there was no ECU flash so everything was accomplished with piggy back devices. Now it can all be done (an much more effectively and thoroughly in the ECU) Difference was night and day on my 06. . .an honest 28hp gain at 7.5krpms and sublime throttle. It has been an expensive pursuit over the years and now I am blowing money putting on a Ducati headlight.
Your project looks great with the retro tail and the up turned SC slip on. Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cool.
Mine's an 06 and the throttle was particularly snatchy. I did all the mods available back then as a young man looking for speed but there was no ECU flash so everything was accomplished with piggy back devices. Now it can all be done (an much more effectively and thoroughly in the ECU) Difference was night and day on my 06. . .an honest 28hp gain at 7.5krpms and sublime throttle. It has been an expensive pursuit over the years and now I am blowing money putting on a Ducati headlight.
Your project looks great with the retro tail and the up turned SC slip on. Keep the pics coming!
The bike cost me next to nothing and I've spent next to nothing. My philosophy is simplicity/minimalism/practical aesthetics - modify/remove. I don't have a workshop, only a grinder.
Can we have a look at your Yam?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The bike cost me next to nothing and I've spent next to nothing. My philosophy is simplicity/minimalism/practical aesthetics - modify/remove. I don't have a workshop, only a grinder.
Can we have a look at your Yam?
I'll post some glamour shots from some sexy locale when I get it all buttoned back up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let me help you spend some of your money! Your slip on would look absolutely stunning with an Arrow header. They are lovely pieces and I believe they are designed to take any slipon the fits the FZ's stock pipe.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
The Yoshi setup that I have actually performs a bit better in the midrange but I could probably give it up for looks.
I also think you should consider ditching the factory front turn signals and go maybe with some fork wrap around LEDS.
Here's a shot of the Arrow headers complete with those nice looking springs!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Let me help you spend some of your money! Your slip on would look absolutely stunning with an Arrow header. They are lovely pieces and I believe they are designed to take any slipon the fits the FZ's stock pipe. View attachment 152836 The Yoshi setup that I have actually performs a bit better in the midrange but I could probably give it up for looks.
I also think you should consider ditching the factory front turn signals and go maybe with some fork wrap around LEDS.
Here's a shot of the Arrow headers complete with those nice looking springs!
Yet to fit the other two mini indicators - currently making alloy headlight brackets to house them on!
I can live with the stock headers, they actually don't look too bad for standard pipes and the midrange pop feels good.. which is what I'm really interested in. I'd rather buy myself a nice Bitubo steering damper!
What's your legitimate rwbhp? Mine won't be a kick in the bollocks away from it, guaranteed!

Check it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Full package (modified airbox, aftermarket filter, full exhaust system AND ECU flash) makes around 150RWHP. I had the fueling tweaked and dyno results back in the day (2009 I think??) before ECU flashes (at the time using full exhaust, modified airbox / filter, PCIII with Ivan's map+tweaking locally, ignition module and cut down secondary throttle plates) and it was close to those numbers but the ECU flash really adds a whole new level of driveability and fills out the curve even more. If you don't have a fueling piggyback or an ECU flash with fueling mods you will be a good way from those numbers and the driveability be will be sub-optimal (you added the filter and slipon but no fueling changes and even all stock fueling is easily improved) The full exhaust system will fill out the substantial DIP at 7k that the stock header imparts and turn it into a nice bulge. Maybe 10hp difference at 7k from a stock header w gutted cat + slipon AND proper fueling mods. This platform has been essentially unchanged from 2006 and the performance increments are pretty well documented but I will just leave it at that . . .

When you say you are making headlight brackets I guess that means you are dumping the plastic FZ1N ones? Looking forward to seeing those! Overall your bike is looking really good. Glad to see the FZ getting some love.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Full package (modified airbox, aftermarket filter, full exhaust system AND ECU flash) makes around 150RWHP. I had the fueling tweaked and dyno results back in the day (2009 I think??) before ECU flashes (at the time using full exhaust, modified airbox / filter, PCIII with Ivan's map+tweaking locally, ignition module and cut down secondary throttle plates) and it was close to those numbers but the ECU flash really adds a whole new level of driveability and fills out the curve even more. If you don't have a fueling piggyback or an ECU flash with fueling mods you will be a good way from those numbers and the driveability be will be sub-optimal (you added the filter and slipon but no fueling changes and even all stock fueling is easily improved) The full exhaust system will fill out the substantial DIP at 7k that the stock header imparts and turn it into a nice bulge. Maybe 10hp difference at 7k from a stock header w gutted cat + slipon AND proper fueling mods. This platform has been essentially unchanged from 2006 and the performance increments are pretty well documented but I will just leave it at that . . .

When you say you are making headlight brackets I guess that means you are dumping the plastic FZ1N ones? Looking forward to seeing those! Overall your bike is looking really good. Glad to see the FZ getting some love.
Instead of scratching the surface get the motor out and do a proper job on it ! lol!

The headlight brackets are being fashioned into like deer antlers and I'll fix a myriad of little winkers to them - never been done before, guaranteed! lol!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yet to fit the other two mini indicators - currently making alloy headlight brackets to house them on!
I can live with the stock headers, they actually don't look too bad for standard pipes and the midrange pop feels good.. which is what I'm really interested in. I'd rather buy myself a nice Bitubo steering damper!
What's your legitimate rwbhp? Mine won't be a kick in the bollocks away from it, guaranteed!

Check it!

Thing is looking boss and tidy, very nice.

Crazy how stylish some stock bits are these days compared to years ago - that clutch cover would've been a fantasy part in 1980 😁

Also, FUCKIN LOUVERS FOR LIFE 🤘

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Spent an entire afternoon removing rim tape from the rear wheel!

Considerable improvement..

Heel plates need to be silver! Buffed away some unsightly scratches at the spindle end of the arm..kinda fake extension vibrations!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thing is looking boss and tidy, very nice.

Crazy how stylish some stock bits are these days compared to years ago - that clutch cover would've been a fantasy part in 1980 😁

Also, FUCKIN LOUVERS FOR LIFE 🤘
You're bang on about the clutch casing - sassy design for sure and no way you could improve on it! Just the long tail that spoils the show - once that's chopped off n a short pipe fitted you see a pretty attractive banana arm and boom! A big silver engine becomes the focal point!

I dig the shit out of louvers, man! :))

21 - 36 of 36 Posts