Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This is my Finnish cafe racer project, project bike is Yamaha xv1000 also known tr1 xv 920. This is my first bigger bike project so I make some plans: 70`s look racer with little bit of badass:) that`s the plans...
It started on last summer when I was looking suitable project bike from Sweden cause xv`s are much cheaper there, so...when the bike was found: quick test ride, bike to the smaller parts and try to fit it in a car

after 2600km bike was home and I start to take oem parts off, and lookin usd forks and wheels.

Front forks I found zx9r kawa`s forks, with new "homemachined" head tube, new head tube cause I think that bike is getting too low if I put front end on a old head tube, so with the new welded head tube I can change rake on front. On wheels I decide to put spoke rims from harley, rear rim is 4,25x18 60 spokes and front 3,5x18 40 spokes wich is rear rim too. I choose rear rim on front, so I can get double brake rotors on front.

Fitting rear rim and measuring spacers I almost get nervous brakedown:D and I decided to get time out from that and focus on a exhaust part. I search old titanium headers from rr bikes and I found R1 headers and k6 gsxr headers quite cheap.
After couple burning wounds and lots of workinghours it look like this...

next section is try to make front brakerotors fit in hd rim...

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
nice bild mate ,i am very familiar with them motors.I was workin with team Mitsui Yamaha when them was first brought out . Nice Vee twin fer sure :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mates:) Yesterday I got free evening from "woman who lives with me" and so I get quiqk in the garage and start measure spacers to the rear rim. Few times(or ten times) I opened rear axle nut and then threads cutted off...sh**! New axle nut is coming soon...

Here is rear rim, sprocket drum is machined group7 aluminium, I wonder should I make some kind of rubber bushing to the bolts, like clutch rubbers? Rear tire is 160/60x18, after 520 chain conversion there should be lot of free space between tire and chain... or I hope so:) Rear wheel hub got new bearings for the meter size axle.

Front rim is 3,5x18 and tire size is 110/90x18, brake rotors are from zzr1100 kawa and calipers from gsxr600(thaks for the swap chart:), just have measure and put them together, easy to say....

Just looking how is should looks like, silencers is 0.8mm thick stainless steel, those are under constuction, first I try to make those megaphone style silencers from 0.9 titanium plate but that was so stiff material that I cant get it to the cone =) think that ss weight still less than original ones :)

Hope that I get measured spacers soon on the rear wheel and measured it straight to the frame, so then I can weld new head tube to the frame, then is hardest parts done...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally I got machined front hub to fit those kawa brake rotors and metric size bearings.
In that rim the hub was not in centerline with the rim, so the spokes come littlebit closer to the caliper on the otherside. I should put that hub in the center before machining...:angry:
Only spacers and its done. Then starts front end fitting to the frame, old headtube or new welded heatube, that`s the problem....

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Nice custom work!

Small point: the 110 front tyre is meant for a 2.5" rim, so it will be stretched and may handle badly. Correct would be 130/70-18. Can you get a wide enough front, or maybe consider a rear tyre run backwards?

Metzeler do have a pair in the correct sizes but they are cruiser tyres.
http://www.metzeler.com/site/uk/pro...880-marathon-alphanumerische-dimensionen.html

I doubt you'll find radial tyres in the sizes you need. Maybe better would be find a 2.5x18" rim to lace to the front hub?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, In this project first front rim was from honda shadow ace,from burned bike got it cheap(hub was too wide in that rim,thats why I have to change it in the harleys hub) there`s pic with the frontforks. Shadow`s front tire size was 120/90 r18 and rim was 3.5" so I get same size harleys rear to the front. I also try to search 2.15x18 Harley front rims from to get better shape to the front end and get it look from front like ol 70`s racer. On ebay there were lot of old rims from harleys and other bikes but before I get those rims in Finland the price of those couple parts is from other galaxi.... and in Finland parts supply is limited, sorry my badly english hope you get it. :)

·
746 Posts
Just don't put a fucking Benelli/Riverside Mojave tank on it. Literally every XV based custom has the same tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I was orking with the front wheel, I buy used sportster front wheel 19"x2,5 cheap. Rim was rusted on the back side, so I think that Ill get new 18 by2.15 or 19x2.15 rim on it, stainless stuff. I look 19in. wheel and I think that 19 in. rim in front makes bike more lighter look, and by inch bigger front, rake on the front end is not so bad.And in the end 160/60 18 back tire looks bigger than it is:) I lathe it fit new metric size bearings and sealings, next have to make spacers to the brake rotors and spacers to the axle. I also get 1.5mm thick aluminium(grade5)sheet for the fuel tank and seat unit;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, With the headers I decide to sand-glassblast it to make it smoother, thinking should I weld (just melt) those welds shiny?like it was... theres silencers too, blasted those also to looks like titanium. Lightweight baby:)

this is bushing and sealing for the header..Ti too.

Thats one pipe joint in the header, header is made from r1-02 header and gsxr1k/k5 header. R1 pipes was 0.9mm thick and gsxr pipes was 1.4 thick, with bigger diameter. so r1 pipe goes straight inside to gsxr pipe. Outer ring on the pipe gets bigger pipe in it, getting more sealing in the joint and spacing.

HDSporters 40 spoke front hub is getting new 18x2.15 stainless rim with stainless spokes. When I get that rim back from the rim maker, I can fit the kawasaki`s front end to yamaha. zxr 9 forks are shorter than oem, so I have to change angle on a new headtube to get trail smaller. And freespace under the bike bigger:) zx9r rake was 23degrees and xv`s rake is 29 degrees with 19" front wheel. Right angle is something between those, I measure that trail with 24 degrees was 5.13inch... So anyway, I think that bikes getting very wild steering:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, couple days in the garage and new head tube is welded, there was little problem cause there was double frame inside the main frame where original headtube was welded.

after all new tube is on, and welds checked by ntd inspection(magnetic particle inspection)

new headtube angle is 24 degrees and trail is 98mm...

tank is too wide and long, so I have to take couple inch off it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Wow smart build. There seems to be an uprising of streetfigher viragos, I'm not complaining though as all the guys I've seen building them rock at it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Love the look of a Vtwin on any cafe or fighter. Looking good so far

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Badass just badass

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all, subframe is now almost ready for the paint, just have to make some hooks for the electric wires and fasteners for the undertail. Undertail is made of aluminium plate with dzuz fasteners. Seat unit is also missing bushing:)..so almost ready. The tank is getting new one, I have to make it smaller and smoother and the old tank is full off scratches;(
..sorry for the pixels

Is it brushed or shiny....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts