Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to this build that I have had sitting for the last couple of years. It took a backseat to my other projects for a while. 1981 XV920R. I am planning on building a frame for this bike as well as using modern suspension. I have collected some parts while it was sitting. I am using an 08 CBR600RR front end. A RC51 SP1 Swingarm and shock. RC51 SP2 wheels.
I mounted up the frame and engine in my frame jig and sized up the RC51 swinger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Subbed:party-smiley::)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to find a way to give the new swingarm more support rather than just the original mounting point off the back of the engine since the RC51 swingarm is much beefier and I will be running a 190 tire on it. I devised some mounts out of wood for mock up that utilize the stock peg mounts and support the outside of the swingarm. I used the original frame mount and made a center piece to locate the swingarm closer to the countershaft sprocket and give it a better alignment for the pivot point. I also raised the engine for a better swingarm angle. The new mock up pieces will serve several functions (1) Swingarm support (2) top shock mount (3) sub-frame mount (4) foot peg mount, and (5) Counter shaft outer bearing support. It took some time to get it all sorted but it looks like it should work really well. I will have these pieces made out of aluminum on a CNC.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally getting back to this project. I finished making the rear mount that holds the swing arm and rear suspension. I was able to design my support parts in a CAD program and have my CNC guy cut them out for me. They fit great and will add a ton of strength and support to the rear of the bike. I was also able to utilize them as a place to mount my Foot pegs. Now I need to figure out my main frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Making progress on the frame. I used box tubing to make the main part of the frame and welded it to the stock head stay. I designed and had two support plates cut out to box it in. The plates will attach to a custom bracket mounted to the head similar to stock. I had my frame come down closer to the head for more support. I also will be securing it with 3 bolts instead of 2 like the original. I did move the steering head stay closer, lower ,and at a more aggressive angle than stock for improved handling. Need to finish up the welding and make my mounts to the engine and she'll be a roller.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More progress on the frame. I made the mounts that attach the frame to the engine. Still need to add the third head mount and a couple other support pieces. Welded up most of the frame. I should be able to make it a roller at this point.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was able to make it a roller. I put the 08 CBR600rr forks back on the new frame but ended up using a CBR929 Triple clamp to get the correct brake caliper spacing for the RC51 SP2 wheel. The disks are 08 CBR600RR. The rear RC51 SP2 wheel was of course a direct bolt on to the RC51 swingarm. Hopefully this will keep me more motivated.
The next step is to figure out my tank and tail section I have several ideas just need to decide.

Attachments

·
Welcome to the new day...
2,672 Posts
Bro, That's incredible what you are doing. I am amazed at your capabilities and talent. I can't wait to see what the end result is. My build pales in comparison.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts