Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Picked up a tank on Ebay from a BMW 9T. Really liked the shape of it ever since it came out. It had some minor damage but nothing to serious. I did have to do some surgery to the underside to make it fit and I will have to cap off the hole for the fuel injection and add a petcock. It is an aluminum tank so there will be some TIG welding involved to make it work. The nice thing is there is plenty of room under the tank for the battery and all the electronics. After I get in mounted I am going to work on my tail section.

Attachments

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Dang man, nice choice on the tank!

It really does have a nice shape to it... Pretty unconventional tank swap.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Working on the tail section. I was able to make a subframe tail section out of tubing. It also ties the rear of the frame to the billet parts for added strength. I am going to add some pieces to the back of the tail section to fill it in. The muffler will run under the tail and exit at both sides of the rear part of it. This part is removable so I could make other tail sections later on to give the bike a whole different look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The BMW fuel tank match the bike like it was meant for it!Vey nice work!Do you have plans to freshen up the engine?
I do plan on building the motor. Hi comp pistons, cam, carburetors, porting, and some other mods. It still is almost 40yrs old so I know it will never have the HP of a more modern twin, but should be plenty enough to make a good street bike and pull the front wheel off the ground.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Chain drive XV920? Damn, nice donor. When I started out looking for a bike to build a Hossack front on, that is exactly the engine I wanted.

Love the work so far. Engine as a true stressed member is nice if its really up to the task, curious to see what the final effect is. My impression (from looking at various race frames) is a lot of engines are much more suited to use as stressed members than the frames they come in would imply.

·
Fearless Keyboard Warrior
115 Posts
Hot damn, this is getting good! :party-smiley:

Engine as a true stressed member is nice if its really up to the task, curious to see what the final effect is. My impression (from looking at various race frames) is a lot of engines are much more suited to use as stressed members than the frames they come in would imply.
The XV engine is definitely up to the task of being a true stressed member. In Europe, the TR1 was pretty popular for racing, and those were pared down to the bare essentials.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I want to know more about the chain drive conversion...

Also, that bike is beautiful!

Charles.
I'm guessing it's pretty straight-forward. Take your shaft drive xv920 and trade someone for their chain driven xv920.

Tail section is ridiculous though! Love the unique approach to the Virago. I don't know if I can stand to see another mojave tank on one. I think I'd just lose it completely.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That is correct the XV920R was only sold in the US in 81 and 82. Over the pond it is called a TR1 and is easier to find. They are getting harder to find because everyone it turning them into project bikes. It is a much better choice than the shaft drive virago for numerous reasons.
I agree with the Mojave tank comment , So played. I don't think anyone will copy my tank choice because of the amount of surgery that has to be done to make it work. I am going to try and break up the lines of the tank somewhat with my paint job so to separate it a little bit from a BMW 9T.
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Made a seat pan out of fiberglass. I taped everything off first and laid down several layers of mat. After it hardened I shaped it to fit. I'm sure I'll be itching for a bit, but happy with how it came out. Just need to add a couple of mounts then I'll glue in and shape the seat foam.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I did some more work on the seat. I glued in several pieces of foam and shaped it to form. I then covered it with a final thin layer of foam mat that helped keep it all together. I'll probably wait till I get closer to finishing the bike to get it upholstered so I don't have to worry about damaging it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Looking good! What kind of foam did you use under the top layer? I'm going back and forth on using a modded stock seat and just making my own stuff at the moment.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Looking good! What kind of foam did you use under the top layer? I'm going back and forth on using a modded stock seat and just making my own stuff at the moment.
I had a couple of GSXR and CBR seats I cut the foam from and used contact cement to glue it all down. Easy enough to cut with a hack saw blade. I formed it with a air angle grinder with a course sanding disk. Take a little practice to form though.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts