Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Finished the muffler. Plus I made a couple of panels to fill in the tail section The can is a Two Brothers pipe that I shortened to fit under the seat. The tip was fabricated from 2 Mercedes exhaust tips a short piece of tubing and a couple of jigsaw pieces to close it all in. I cut the tip off the muffler and made a mount that bolts it all together. Getting it all to line up was a bitch but worked out great. I am going to make a heat guard between the seat and muffler. Next is the exhaust system itself. I already know how I'm going to route it just need to find some time to make it.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Bikes been on hold for a bit but I'm back to it. I came up with a headlight and taillight. The headlight assembly I cut out of aluminum on a plasma table and welded it together. I am using 2 projector beams and one smaller light in center.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I found a good aftermarket top triple clamp on e-bay which made it easier to mount my bars to. As much as I liked the look of the clip-ons I will take the MX style bars and comfort any day. I used some adjustable universal bar clamps and some pro taper bars that I had. I also mounted a Koso RX-2N GP multifunction meter to the top clamp.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Finally got around to the exhaust system. I am using several stock YFZ450 and CRF450 stainless pipes as donors for my bends. I decided to run the rear pipe down through the swingarm, under the linkage, back up around the swingarm through the frame, into a Y and into the muffler. Easy enough right???? Well tacked it up and have 2 slip joints so it can al fit together. Just need to make the front pipe so it is equal length to the rear.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Finished mocking up the exhaust, all tacked up. Front and rear are equal length should flow nicely. I added a couple of heat guards made from Yamaha YZ-F's. Just need to Tig everything up.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Had this steering dampener in my collection of used parts so I made some brackets and mounted it up. I decided to go with a Motogadget M-unit blue. Started to wire it all up. Much easier than dealing with a 40yr old wiring harness.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I am using 2 FCR 40mm carburetors so I had to make my own manifolds. I turned down some aluminum tubing and had two flanges made. Clearance was tight but I made it all work. I was going to try and use a single throttle cable to Carb #1 and use the push side of that carb to pull Carb #2.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Since my clutch cover already had some damage it inspired me to cut it out and do a plexiglass cover. I had 2 rings plasma cut and then powdercoated. I still need to PC the cover and cut my plexi. Also finished up the exhaust pipes.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Back to this Beast. The bad news is I had a bent valve so I had to tear the engine down. The good news is that it gave me an opportunity to freshen up the motor. I honed the cylinders and put in a new set of rings. I did some porting on the heads, mainly cleaned them up, smoothed out all the transitions and reshaped around the valve guides. Painted the center cases, cylinders and heads satin black. Going to paint or powder coat the side covers gloss. Just need to finish putting it all back together.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
Almost forgot about this one, can't wait to see some more shots of it going back together.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Getting back to the XV, finally starting to go back together. I had the frame powder coated a cool candy red . I also finished painting the motor and got it back together. Mounted the motor back into the frame. Getting close to the finish just need to take care of some details and paint
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I took my machined frame supports back to my machinist and had them anodized black and then cut a design into the parts to give them more depth. I am finally on my way to getting this bike back together.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I used a couple of sprocket cut down to make my offset sprocket welded them together. I made an extension piece from a XS650 countershaft because it has the same spline as the XV, it slides into the XV countershaft and into the support bearing that fits in my cover. Everything lined up nice and spins freely.
 

Attachments

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Top