Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
best start at the beginning I guess, the basis for this project is in no way new to me, I've built it on numerous occasions..... I've sold the fuckin thing more times than I care to remember but it keeps coming back, so I figure its time to keep it and build it right. It's the one bike that's never let me down and I've not ridden as much since it last left my hands

some History

as i bought it, in Edinburgh, a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away)

it was ratty as hell, but I at long last had a blade

one day I rode it too work, pulled it apart during the morning break

, painted it at lunch time and built it at home time

skip forwards... a bit of time..... and I get up one morning and chop the back off with an angle grinder

and fit a German seat unit

the seat of which was adorned with the bikes new moniker

(computer coming the cunt so saving before it crashes.... back in 5 )

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another TT another tart up

then sold and modified for new owner

then i got it back after the new owner hadn't finished it .....and i started to fit a fairing

thats the potted history of the last .....decade or so ? perhaps longer ...

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fast forwards to today

The bike has been reduced to this

I'll blag a newspaper (government propaganda pamflet) tomorrow, this reciept from last nights dinner has a date on it for now

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
since it's now a keeper it'll need a proper front end and a decent set of wheels ... lets have a look in the front end corner

R1 radial calliper front end .... naaaaaaaahhhhh

CBR1000RR .............

perhaps

or the ZX6R, which I happen to have a matching wheel for

we could have a winner here

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what else do i have

digging about a plastic tub under the bench I find a set of Ti headers from a later model Blade, free from friends in a local bike shop years ago, never used as they ain't a straight swap

they weigh about as much as a sparrows fart so i'll be making them fit

this has to go, nothing wrong with it, and nothing against the guy who made it ..... but they're are certain people who will make a big deal over it (long and old story, no need to repeat)

and the rearsets need a bit of tarting up ,

right i'm off to ebay, phone friends etc, few bits n bobs needed, I want the back end in by the weekend

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rather than hunt about for bearings that i may or not be able to find .... grab some phos/bronze ...new bushes for swingarm

and they fit just nice too

of course the welded up arm is a bit ugly innit....

soooooo ...... find some paper and loominum

cut a coupla holes with....would you believe.... a holesaw

and glue the new bits in place

t'other side is done too , tomorrow i make the sleeves for inside the bushes

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was sure I had a ZX10r wheel somewhere.... off to the loft for a looky look..... fuckin knew I had one , swapped it for ...something ...with someone....somewhere...sometime ...result

local breakers had a sprocket carrier

my good friend RB donated a caliper and hanger as the blue spot I have is no use for the Kawasaki wheel... thats one I owe him

better finish me cuppa and set about it

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
made these up today, bushes for the arm and a crush tube

pop one in either side

time to fit the rear caliper hanger , starting by removing the original tether point

and popping some holes in an offcut of aluminium

which gets glued in place

tethering the Kawasaki caliper hanger to the Honda arm

quite handily the standard blade spindle is the right dia for the wheel and the right width for the arm, and the adjuster adaptors i made for the last arm are able to be used too.

pop it all together and see if the original linkage plates will do (stop laughing at the back Seebacher)

yeah, alright, I knew they wouldn't work.....but ya gotta hope

so card templates, transferred to chequer plate mock ups

I'll make a pair tomorow, they can be replaced later if needs be

dug out the seat.....looks a bit worse for wear and will need modified to give a proper shut line around the back of the tank

and i'm guessing there are little brackets available from D'yoo'cati to attach the seat cowl to the seat ?

yoke drawings near done too

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as promised, the templates for the linkage plates were transferred to decent aluminium , I need to find the note I made of the standard angle to check if its about right

the gear lever, I had been going to make a new one, or do some machining on the one I already made, but this isn't a big build, lets not get carried away, plenty other people already building far tricker stuff than me in the build off...... so ball nosed slots will be quite sufficient, and match the brake pedal

not that I can complain, for it were I that done it, but I was never fully happy with the rear tank mount, so I cut an aluminium wedge to give a better seat for the rear of the tank

clamped up

and weldimicated

there's a couple of flaws in the wedge, it's a left over piece from a riser , buts lets be honest, i'm not building a space shuttle or fuck all.

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wee bit of yoke done... no pics of it .....sorry

rear wheel spacers done tho....with pics

the undercuts in effect turn them into captive spacers, the dust seals keep them in the wheel, much easier when fitting wheel to the arm

I don't like the way a previous custodian mounted mounted the rear master cylinder, bolted on the side of the lever

so I moved it

just needs a couple of wee spacers for around the mounting bolts

arms in, linkage plates on, wheel spaced, caliper mounted, rearsets on

I need a back tyre and a bottom yoke now

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
todays mantra is "more haste , less speed " time with the machine was limited , must rush ......dumbass

thought top was done .... take it out

oh look....one of the pockets is undersize with no radius edge ....... that'll need setting up again

underside ...all going great right up to the point where i asked too much of an 8mm slot drill

i'll just need to wait till the mill is free again

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
slow day on the blade today, got a mock up tyre fitted to the rear wheel and went to see my powder coater of choice ......

he found the colour I want for my wheels

what can I say, I'm a child of the 70's, teenager in the 80's .... YELLOW wheels are kool

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
set up tyre on...... backwards.....not that it matters

just need to hope that between now and Sat I manage a bit of machine time to finish off the bottom yoke .... I really want to see it back on its feet

I was hoping the throttle tube from this ugly as sin quick action throttle would fit in the much smaller and neater standard U.S. fitment honda unit.... no fuckin chance tho, and the other throttle assembly is still attached to the old engine, 6 mile away , ah well, job for another day

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not much of an update, but as they say, take care of the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves

needed the spacers for the rear master cylinder, was going to use aluminium, but then I happened across a bit of 16mm marine grade stainless, the exact dia I needed

off to the lathe

fits first time

i'll try for another mini update tomorrow

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this will have to have a dry build, with front end in, but I don't want to fit new head bearings in just to knock them out again, soooo....... I made up a couple of nylon facsimiles that'll do the trick for now

then I pulled the UK throttle assembly apart and got the tube out of it

and it fits just fine into the US housing

and if you think that was a minimal update stay tuned for tomorrow ........

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the side stand.... I was going to make one, but I can't get away from the feeling that fancy billet stands are just a bit......custom.... rather a contradictory statement i guess, how about ostentatious? so the crappy rusty stand was pulled from the written off donor blade that lies in a corner of a shipping container.

first job being remove the safety switch ...... I mean really..... safety switches ..... I didn't get this fucked up by using safety switches

trust me, once powder coated it'll look fine

tried the stem in the frame with the fake bearings

hey look..... the mill is free, won't be first thing in the morning, better get a shuffle on

underside all done , radii aplenty

top face done too

couple of edges need caressed with a swiss file, but it's getting there

quick try onto the legs

it's a right good fit, well pleased

offer up to frame for a look

I just need to get another half hour machine time to detail the front and drill clamp holes. be on its feet by Sat

·
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
like a milling ninja I was , spied the machine was empty, in.... job done... and gone

just the holes to tap, but it's blowin a hoolie out there, inside with a nice coffee seems like a plan stan

try and start the top yoke tomorrow

1 - 20 of 159 Posts