Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the other 2 projects are in limbo due to waiting on parts why not start another hey….they say, shit happens in 3’s.

1980 Honda CB400….it’s a joint project with a friend, he does stuff I cant or don’t want to do and visa-versa…so motor is rebuilt with new pistons, rings etc etc, frame and most other parts sandblasted and painted to stop rusting…
My job is to put it back together painted and polished.

So your typical café latte…..clip on bars and mirrors, single seat cowl etc etc, you get the gist, but with lights and indicators for rego….paint (which I have most of) will be blue, silver and black.

Doing it to make a little cash hopefully….so far spent is about 3-400 on parts ordered and in the motor….bike was free (best price) so dollar spent is a dollar wasted mentality with this build.

A typical basket case….

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Usual start….frame, motor and started the bits n pieces, next is the electrics and wiring.

This should be a speedy build hopefully…

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks good so far. Are you using a sprayer or a can to paint your parts?

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good so far. Are you using a sprayer or a can to paint your parts?
Both….

I use tins for colour as I get that cheap from the local hardware ($2.50 tin), its “dupli-color” has a good spray nozzle so it has good coverage…I don’t know about others but for the top coat (clear) I always use a gravity fed HVLP spray gun I just cant/never get a good finish using tins…as far as the primer goes I use red oxide tins (again cheap) if the parts are in good condition (minimal filling) but if they need a lot of filling (pitting etc) I use a high fill primer from a spray gun only because of the price factor far less money when you buy bulk….and I buy thinners in 20lt lots again far cheaper….

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carbs done…

What a bitch, never saw shit like this inside bowls before it almost resembled a form of acid…dried white calcified powdery crap…and also some on the slides seizing one. Luckily it wasn’t corrosive so it didn’t eat the alloy.

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Started painting….only the headlight and fender for now.

Your classic “racing stripes”, tank will have a bit more detail but overall this is it…simple and effective.

(base coat stage still have the lines to do)

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started putting it back together…

Some parts arrived, mainly the clip-on handle bars and head light brackets. Few problems have been sorted out also, like the throttle switch block sourced from a CBX750 (same twin cables) and the head light glass from um not really sure….Also found some braided line for the front brakes.

Now onto the tank and seat……still waiting on some parts, engine cover etc..

·
Habitual bike builder
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought some clear over the weekend so now finishing off the painting (stripes still to go) as well the generator cover and a couple of bits also need to be finished off…
At the moment working on the electrics/wiring, most of the crap rectifier and starter etc has been hidden under the seat.

Oh and thankyou for the advice nemo on the light etc…dropped the light just working on the speedo now…thought it looked a little odd but couldn’t put my finger on it.

Got the mirrors, grips and led dash lights just waiting on the taillight, tank protector…actually the last of it really.
The delay in finishing will probably be the exhaust….haven’t got it yet and by the looks of it will probably be making it (hard to find)..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts