Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't going to start a build thread on this bike because it is going to take me a very long time to finish and posting to a build thread takes more time than I have. But never the less, I am going to start one. Primarily because I stole the basis for the build from dogmeat and his CBR 900 build "Beasbot". The main thing is the tail because I am using the exact same pocket bike tail. To bad I wasn't able to score a tail light but I have something for that.

Regardless, here are some pics of when i picked it up (payed 800$) and how it sits now pics.

I almost done with the Subframe. My welds are ugly but they should hold. Of course I switched the swingarm for a VFR 750 SSSA. Used the VFR 750 spindle and spacer so I didn't have to cut one for the CBR spacer. VFR 800 rear wheel with an 8mm spacer to compensate for the bolts that hold the rotor.

Welded up a shorty exhaust, 7in can, made out of the original D&D can that came with the bike that was completely jacked. Sorry it isn't mounted in the pics but i had to take it off to work the subframe.

Running a 08 CBR 1000 rear shock. I have a MT03 headlight that I will be making brackets for next.

Battery box is mounted inside of the frame and I will run the original front end. Would love to guy a 954 or 929 USD front end but I don't want to spend the money.

Anyway, Let me know what you guys think. Bad or good. Thanks dogmeat for the inspiration.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I have always wanted to do a CBR 900 so when when came up in my price range I took.

I wanted to push my fab skills on this one. The subframe was a pain and my welds suck but I wanted the open look.

Thanks for the words. Won't get around to messing with this until next weekend or some other weekend.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Beast bot is/was one of my personal favorites, congrats on the build, looks great so far, keep it up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is ghetto Subframe. Check out my welds. I am just hoping that it doesn't break while I am going 90 down the freeway.

The battery box that I plan to run a small anti-gravity battery in and put most of the wiring in, hopefully.

Tried to make a little tray type thing so that my harness won't sit on the top of the engine, because I plan to hide the wires in that space. Maybe it won't work, but it is better than nothing.

And my MT03 headlight. I just need to figure out if I am going to fab brackets or buy some. If anyone knows of some sweet pre-made brackets let me know.

Oh yeah, by the way anyone want to buys the complete rear set up I had. Rear wheel (chrome) swing arm (polished) rear shock, subframe, plastics. Just thought I would ask.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got around to mounting my MT03 headlight. The bracket i made isn't the best in the world but it was way cheaper than trying to buy one. I was also having a hard time finding brackets for the 45mm forks on a CBR 900rr..hmmm.

So i fabbed up a bracket that looks pretty,, well homemade but I think it will work. I was trying to get the light tight to the frame, but in the pictures it looks a little to far from the frame. But I still need to fit the ignition switch and odometer behind it, so i think it will come out looking right in the end.

I am also going to have the tail section fiberglassed so that it is enclosed at the back end. Does anyone know if fiberglass and plastic will work together? I guess i will find out.

All of the big fab is done, now i have to get all the small things worked out and get the engine running. Need to get the fork seals replaced, exhaust bolts redone, the entire bike and frame powder coated and painted. The engine cleaned and painted,,,,, and about a million other things.

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
Urban welds don't look as bad as I have seen.. an trust me I have seen some pretty poor ones ha. I would have liked to see a different headlight. Those lights are so common

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was planning on running a single projector light, which I already had from the Acerbis headlight from when I bought it. Decided not to go that route becuase I do like the MT03 and I thought it would provide more actual light for riding at night.

Regardless, I will try to get some work done on this thing so I can show more progress pics.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think that the MT-03 headlight is common on here, but not so much in the motorcycle community at large. I've never actually seen that headlight around where I live, and it really does look good.
I agree 100%. Ive only seen one on the road, it happens to be a friend, otherwise I have yet to see another on the road.

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Duuuude Beastbot II! Nice one, can't wait to see how it turns out! Where are you located?

Looks awesome so far! Did you get the 08 CBR1k shock idea from my build? I like it so much better, glad to see you went with it.

The subframe looks quite good. I would recommend sleeving the front top bolt holes. The best way would be if you welded in a steel sleeve, but if you had a tight slip fit sleeve it would work okay too. Those holes in the box section steel can easily get deformed by tightening the subframe bolt onto them and are very susceptible to tearing out the front of the bolt hole.

I am also going to have the tail section fiberglassed so that it is enclosed at the back end. Does anyone know if fiberglass and plastic will work together? I guess i will find out.
Fiberglass sucks to work with! I did all my modifications on the tail by ABS welding. It's going to be much longer lasting and you won't have to get fiberglass splinters in your skin for days! All you really need is a soldering iron, but Harbor Freight sells a nice bag of plastic welding filler rods that can come in handy. You might be able to find ABS sheet at a hardware store, but I usually just hack off panels from other beat up fairings and weld themd up.

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
Must be here in ny. I see then everywhere. Thats probably why it seems common to me. The light does look good. I was debating it for mine as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dogmeat, yep this whole build is based of your "beastbot" build. I got the rear shock from one of your last updates and the tail is exactly the same one you used. Thought I might be making my bike look to much like yours, but I think there are enough differences that they don't look quite the same.

I agree with you on the subframe and sleeving the upper bolt holes. The only reason I didn't was because my welding is absolutely atrocious, but i think I will do that before I finish the build up.

I ended up not using the fiberglass on the tail. I cut a template and JB welded it into the tail section, I hope it holds, shouldn't look to bad once it is sanded and painted.

I also welded in an undertail/license plate mount to the subframe. cleans the look of the tail up and should be good for the LED light strip i ordered for my integrated brake light/turn signals.

By the way, I am in southern pines NC. Beatbot II may make it on the street some time before next x-mass.

It isn't the best job out there, but i think it will be OK. Let me know what all of you think. Good or bad.

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Looking good so far man! I didnt think the welds looked bad at all!

Not so sure about JB weld to plastic though. For the same reason i dont fiberglass to ABS. You have to be careful about the thermal expansion rates of two different materials. It might hold up fine in the garage but after hundred of heat cycles in the sun and vibration from normal opertation, you might end up with parts falling off sooner than you think! ABS weldin is easier than metal welding and i even have buddies that have used ABS plumbing cement with good results on fairings. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Damn, what happened dude? Ninja punched to death or just get out and have no time?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts