Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

you have to start somewhere...

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  goon73 
#1 ·
Well, I am completely new to streetfighters, up to this point I have stayed away from sport bikes because I know I like speed too much and would end up killing myself. Currently I am riding a suzuki vl800 bobber and am 85% finished on a vl800 chopper. I am an officer in my local Motorcycle club yet I am the only metric rider. My 800cc Vtwins are fun, but I am looking for a little more from time to time.

As fortune would have it I came across a '92 gsx600that had spent its previous life as a drag bike for the amazingly low price of $200

original plan was to rebuild this well abused bike into a strip only machine, but somewhere along the way (maybe it was too many hours or beers in the garage) I decided to get her streetable and have a little street fun and run the street ET class at the track.
So, after spending another $200 to get this thing titled Here I sit. A blank canvas, '92 Katana 600 frame with a 16 inch streched and strutted swingarm, no plastics, blown front fork seals, and a hole the size of my fist in cylinder #3 (definately not rebuildable).

Current thoughts are to bring in the swingarm "6-"10 and to go with a gsxr-1000 motor in this bike, I plan on keeping her rigid in the the rear but other than that I come here for ideas and guidance.

so I am a noob around these parts, not to bikes by no means, but I am new to streetfighters, and after my last couple bikes I am ready to try a different direction.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet start man. A GSXR1000 engine would be cool, but with very very little work you could bolt in an oil cooled GSXR1100 engine (or Bandit 1200, any oil cooled Suzuki). Any questions, ask...there's a few of us who like to pretend we know a lot about oil boilers. :D

#3 ·
I have a sweet spot for water cooled motors, I live in the Houston texas area and often ride rush hour to and from work in the summer, I am a bit leary of oil cooled and air cooled motors here in the summer.
how about the power difference betwee a gsx1100 and gsxr1000? with the added weight of the radiator? just curious cuz I am looking for something quick with my fat ass on it, doesnt have to break records just be consistant so I can get a good solid dial in time on the track.

#4 ·
the GSXR 1100 would be capable of moving anyones fat arse, ad there are so many after market tuning parts available you could spend as much on the motor as your bank or your misses would alow, more even if you dont tell them.
by the way my names joe and I eat babies

#6 ·
holy long ass swingarm batman!!!

lol. welcome to the site. kat's have alot of potential (ain't that right dudad?)

#9 ·
Lost Inc. Baytown founding chapter. in Texas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.