Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Full Combat Fighter
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got tired of trying to rebuild my katana, and missing the past two seasons of riding. So I scoured craigslist this winter, and finally found an ad for a 98 TL1000R. It had been laid down by a previous owner at low speed, and is basically missing all of its fairings. It has a cheap ebay headlight slapped on, one of the pipes is a little rashed but otherwise it is in great shape. The forks were straight as rails, leak free. Brand new tires, brakes were solid, and electically everything works.
The guy I bought it from was very nice, but seemed unwilling to try and figure out why this bike was not running. All he knew was that it didn't turn over and he had tried buying it a new battery. He thought maybe the gas was bad. I got it for a great price, and got it home.
Went out today to investigate this gas issue. Charged up the battery a bit, and indeed he was right it didn't fire. Fuel pump could be heard priming, but no fire.
About two seconds later I decide to look into the gas tank.... there is next to no fuel in it. Maybe a spoonful. I pour some in, and low and behold fires right up. Couldn't resist taking a very cold slow easy ride around the block to see how she felt. I have never owned a TL, but was making sure to be very careful, I knew the bike was very very torquey, and the roads haven't been brushed yet so lots of sand. But I cannot wait to be riding this beast.
So I am throwing out a HUGE thank you to the previous owner, I got an insane deal on her all due to an empty gas tank. If he knew it was a running bike I never would have paid so little.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Pics!!!!!!

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
check if the tank leaks, just sayin :)

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
FUCK YOU!!!! er wait no. i mean AWESOME!!! but still a little bit of fuck you lol. congrats. and post pictures

·
Registered
444 Posts
werd. I love people on CL that sell stuff stupid cheap cause the bike doesnt "run" - half the time it needs fresh gas, and maybe a slight carb cleaning and your back on the road.

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
..but seriously. Make with the pics!

·
Full Combat Fighter
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got her for $1400. Pics will be posted later. Needs a few basic things like a gauge bracket and i will be doing a few small upgrades for this season, ride the piss out of it as much as possible. Next winter will be bigger for mods.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Nice find.

·
4,400 Posts
I don't believe it you liar

:D jk. Now make with the pics!!! We've been waiting far too long

1 - 20 of 21 Posts