Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys whats your thoughts on MMI?

My friend is looking to get into a race team. I personally want to be able to work on my own bikes maybe even do a lil custom stuff out of my garage...not so sure about the race team thing. What I want to know is if you guys have been to MMI. If you have what should I expect?

Last but not least what about AZ? Hows the job situation out there? How is housing in AZ? Anyone in AZ wanna give me a old ZX-7? Ok last one was a joke....unless you got a ZX7 laying around.

·
Registered
340 Posts
MMI is a great school and I know a lot of riders that have gone just so they can work on their own bikes. Now don't expect to graduate and work in Phoenix cuz you will be shit out of luck. Move some where else for that.

Now for AZ, the cost of living will be lower than what you are used to in Hawaii so that's good. There are some majorly sketchy areas there so pay attention to your surrounding rather than the price of a rental. Also, I know a lot of the students room together too. Jobs are plentiful except in the bike industry. I can give you a couple of leads though if you do go there. As for the bike, just keep your ears open cuz bikes get sold quick there!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
you wanna drop 35k on a school that teaches you 'the basic mechanical knowledge to work on bikes'

i know i almost went there...but decided to save the money and learn from an OG in my spare time for free.

if i was gonna pay to go to a bike school, i'd be looking into the school that endo and sev attend.

:twocents:
pick up some books. read a lot. and get some hands on time, mbe a project bike or somthing??

arizona?? well...its HOT. thats about it for that.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Unless you plan on working in a dealership afterwords and making a serious career with it, there are better ways to learn for a lot less money. I went to the sister school for automotive, UTI. It's a very good school. It's structured for the working field. So just like a real job, if you're late too much or fuck around your ass is outa there. They are very serious about it.

The other thing is, and I heard this constantly from all of my instructors. You are not going to make any money building customs, hot rods and you're not gona get on a race team fresh out of school. The thing is they are right.

The nice thing is you can pick what brand you want to be factory trained in. One of the guys I work with graduated last year from the AZ school. He did both Yamaha and Suzuki. He left school factory certified in both brands. Like I said, if you plan on working for a dealer and making a career it's worth it, but if you just want to tinker around, $35K is a lot of money to pay back. Especially since that's probablly gona be your anual salary for the first couple of years.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I once read a saying that said find 2 things your passionate about. The second one make your career. The first keep pure to help you deal with the second. My bike I love but its not a first love. So Im looking for a career. As for working in AZ thats prolly not gonna happen. What I am looking at is going to school in AZ then moving to LV for work. Id love to get a job tuning and repairing bikes. I understand that I would have to start small and work in a dealership but Id like to move up to a tuning shop or make a name for myself tuning bikes in my off time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Im also thinking about going to MMI. Actually ive already put in my application. You can go to there webpage and theyll send you a huge package with all the mmi info in it for free. Im going to be going to the one in orlando though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey dude, I'm currently going to MMI(since Nov). It's a pretty good school but like all the schools like it its also a busniess. I say this because alot of young guys(right out of highschool) screw off and really don't learn shit but still make it throught because of the money side. But if you really want to learn then you'll come away with alot. All the instructors I have had are kickass. They will go out of thier way to help you. I've worked on my bike there and lots of my buddys bikes. They'll teach you the manual way then show you the short cuts and tricks. I'm taking Honda and Yamaha cause honda also covers all thier pony motor stuff(gen's,water pumps) and yamaha covers thier snowmobiles and all. MY cost is like 17grand which is alot of money but it's another trade i can put under my belt(diesel mech,auto mech). As far as AZ. its hot as hell in the summer(120) and in the winter all the snowbirds come out(stupid old bastards who can't drive and are ignorant as hell) rent can be price and there are definitly some ruff areas. also its the number one state for vehicle theft. insurance is a killer too. jobs really don't pay shit cause all the illeagals and its a right to work state. how i helped and good luck with whatever road you take.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well for the day-to-day job stuff I have a strong tourism background that I can work with. As for screwing off in school Im not too worried about it. Im at that ripe old age of 28 and well right now setting something up for the future is my main goal.

Can anyone in Az tell me if the N 19th Ave. area is a good area we are currently looking at a apartment complex called Montelano. Any if you guys can give me would be great.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
i think you'd be better off hanging around a bike shop, getting to know the service staff, picking thier brains, and trying to get an entry level job. that's actually how i got started. i was going to do the MMI thing, but now i'm glad i didn't. i know a few tech's locally that graduated from MMI, and they know what the book tells them. diagnosing problems doesn't seem to be a big part of MMI's curriculum (sp?). just because you have a piece of paper saying you went to school for something doesn't mean you can actually do it, if that makes sense. not trying to come off as an ass about MMI or anything, but i've noticed that most of the best mechanics i've ever met learned the hard way, and with lots of practice. an MMI certificate is just a piece of paper as far as i'm concerned. the bad part about doing it without any schooling is that alot of shops won't hire you unless you have schooling and/or on the job experience already. it's hard to get your foot in the door. maybe you could get in by starting in a parts dept or something. once you get accustomed to the way things work there, and show people that you know your stuff, they'll be more likely to let you start wrenching. you'll probably have alot more luck with that at a smaller mom-n-pop shop than you would a big dealership.

above and beyond that though, i'll agree that reading and studying as much as you can get your hands on will help you out ALOT.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree the best training/learning is on the job with a mentor. it's how i learned to work on diesels and auto's for the most part. But the piece of paper helps when you apply at a shop. Shows you have the basics and a real want to learn and work. As far as trouble shooting, its like i said if you just breeze through the minumn and don't press the teachers and your self then you only get the basics. Eletrical is the biggest one with trouble shooting as all the new bikes are fuel injected and have various safety sensors and crap. I'm not all gung ho for the school but i've learned a lot about bikes in just a few months as before i didn't know jack. Most of the teachers owned or worked at indie shops not just parts changing to it works dealerships. Its hard to get a foot in the door at a good shop for us older(mid 20's and up) guys cause we got bills and familys.

As for that area, i live out in mesa(its like 50 miles from school) so i couldn't tell ya.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
I disagree. A piece of paper just shows you're willing to pay to learn.

At the end of the day the paper doesn't mean shit. It's not what paper you have, it's what you do.

There's nothing that school will teach you that you can't teach yourself with some books. If you CAN'T teach yourself that way, you just don't have a mechanical thinking pattern, and you're not gonna "get it" anyhow.

Save yourself some money and do as recommended. Befriend some techs. Hang out with them. Offer to do shit jobs there in return for some knowledge.

Everyone starts out at the bottom in the beginning anyhow. The difference is that some paid nothing to start there, and others were dumb enough to pay $40K for some paper to get there. ;)

It's just not worth it for a tech field position.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate your views on going to school for the paper. I was in a bodyshop at 16. I was in and out of shops till I was 20. I seen the guys that went to school and still didnt know diddly. I know where you guys are coming from.

My goal with going to school is to get me a piece of paper and a good schooling in a field that I could make a career out of. Yeah I wanna be a tech and I know I gotta start small but Id really like to get to the point where I can specialize in tuning. I can figure out how to fix my bike with a book and a set of Sears tools. But I want to get to the point of understanding why a certain engine setup works. Id like to be one of those guys that get called in to dyno tune a race bike.

I know its a pipe dream but I figure I better chase it now while I dont have a wife and kid to worry about.

If any of you guys can give me info the Phoenix area that would be great.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
ZZR808 said:
Id really like to get to the point where I can specialize in tuning. I can figure out how to fix my bike with a book and a set of Sears tools. But I want to get to the point of understanding why a certain engine setup works. Id like to be one of those guys that get called in to dyno tune a race bike.
study study study

if you're trying to do that kind of thing, you need to learn more than any school (that i know of) will ever be able to teach you. you need to learn the theories behind things, and the basic pricipals of why certain things do certain things, etc. hell, there's enough info out there just on head tuning, flow rates and velocities, cam profiles and timing, combustion chamber shaping and design, combustion flame speeds, port design, etc etc etc, to fill book after book after book, and that's just top end stuff.
you don't have to concentrate on motorcycle specific info either. a motor is a motor, whether it be in a car or a bike, they all have the same basic parts. in depth tuning is not easy by any means, and once you have a working knowledge of how and WHY things work, and what changes can be made to have different effects, etc, you'll be in a much better situation to do some serious tuning.

it does sound like you have a desire to actually learn the stuff though, not just be another "parts replacer" like alot of people end up being. that's a good thing, and as long as you keep that attitude, you'll be ahead of alot of people. there's always more to learn.

i wish you the best of luck with the whole thing. just keep in mind that no matter what you learn, there's always more, and no matter how much you know, there will always be someone who knows more, and you'll do just fine. sounds like you're willing to put in the time and effort, so i don't think you'll have any problems.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As for being dumb enough to shell out 40k for a piece of paper,i'm paying 17k and no i can't read a service manual worth shit some people learn by doing. as a diesel mech i was making 60k plus a year and working on machines that cost up to and over 1 million bucks. i'm ex military and using my G.I. bill and trying to learn a new trade that i will enjoy doing. so i don't appreciate the open hostilty. one thing to be opinionated(yeah i can't spell either) but try to keep it tack full.

Tomorrow i'll ask around about those apartments and that area for you.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
rattfink81 said:
As for being dumb enough to shell out 40k for a piece of paper,i'm paying 17k and no i can't read a service manual worth shit some people learn by doing. as a diesel mech i was making 60k plus a year and working on machines that cost up to and over 1 million bucks. i'm ex military and using my G.I. bill and trying to learn a new trade that i will enjoy doing. so i don't appreciate the open hostilty. one thing to be opinionated(yeah i can't spell either) but try to keep it tack full.

Tomorrow i'll ask around about those apartments and that area for you.
I'd assume you meant "tactful"?

As for my opinion, I stand by it. Paying to go to school for something that you can learn from a book and some experience is a stupid move. It's called "pissing your money away". I don't really see it any other way.

It's not like going to school guarantees that you will know what the fuck you are talking about. It just shows that you paid money. That's it.

You're not gonna walk into a job and show them that paper and have them say "You're hired and we'll pay you a lot of cash". You're gonna walk in and they'll likely say "You can sweep floors just like everyone else did when they started here."

Wow, paying money to start at the bottom.

You're right, I regress. Paying THOUSANDS of dollars to start where everyone else does is AWESOME!:rock:

To the OP:

From the sounds of it a school like MMI will only teach you basics of what you want to learn. They are a business school. They will teach you what you need to know to diagnose and repair the bikes people just ride back and forth to work.

Sounds to ME like you are more interested in mechanical engineering. That's where you learn how things work together to transform energy sources to power and such.

Again though, this is stuff you CAN learn on your own. Buy some books on the physics of mechanics, the basics of engine theory, study mathematics (decimals and ratios), etc. Same thing. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
So your saying the piece of paper doesnt mean anything? So i should throw my high school diploma away. Most professional positions you apply for they want to know that your certified in what your applying for. With MMI im going to have certifications showing that i know how to diagnose problems and fix problems with a suzuki of kawasaki(those are my two electives). That piece of paper means alot more than you think it does. You say your a certified welder. You have something saying that your certified in all the types of welding you do so does that not mean shit either? Cause if you didnt have that then i can guarantee you wouldnt get a job doing any structural welding, or welding in any professional shop for that matter. The piece of paper is worth alot more than you give it credit for.....just like a high school diploma. Show me where you can get a job that doesnt require a high school diploma or at least a GED that isnt fast food.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
I could not disagree more! To say that a "piece of paper" from an institution is meaningless has to be one of most ignorant statements I've heard. If a company hires two individuals one with a diploma and one without....the graduate will ALWAYS start off at a higher pay rate and WILL advance higher in a company than a non grad. That's a fact. Should I tell my kids not to go to college because their diploma's won't be worth shit?! Should I ask for a refund for mine? A lot of employers won't even speak to non grads. I don't care if we're talking about a tech school, a university, or whatever......that "piece of paper" will always give you a leg up on the competition when applying for work. I'm not saying that people haven't been successful without a degree/certification/certificate but why put yourself at a disadvantage right out of the gate? I say, go to school and learn all you can.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
drunkNun said:
So your saying the piece of paper doesnt mean anything? So i should throw my high school diploma away. Most professional positions you apply for they want to know that your certified in what your applying for. With MMI im going to have certifications showing that i know how to diagnose problems and fix problems with a suzuki of kawasaki(those are my two electives). That piece of paper means alot more than you think it does. You say your a certified welder. You have something saying that your certified in all the types of welding you do so does that not mean shit either? Cause if you didnt have that then i can guarantee you wouldnt get a job doing any structural welding, or welding in any professional shop for that matter. The piece of paper is worth alot more than you give it credit for.....just like a high school diploma. Show me where you can get a job that doesnt require a high school diploma or at least a GED that isnt fast food.
Kiddo, you'd argue just to argue even if it were the last thing you could ever do.

1) You don't PAY for a diploma from high school. Nice try.

2) No, with a paper from MMI it shows you paid to go to school to learn that shit. It doesn't mean you DID learn it, it doesn't show that you DO know what you're doing. There's a lot of people with degrees who still don't have a fucking clue what they are doing. You know that though right?

3) Don't talk out of your ass about things you don't know about. There's a good 50% Of people who weld professionally that don't have ANY formal training in it. Know why? CAUSE IT'S A TECHNICAL FIELD. The people who hire welders, technicians, etc. will not give two shits if you have a piece of paper saying you went to school as long as you can do the job at hand. ***BTW: There's no such thing as a school certification for welding kiddo. It's certifications you get on the job with experience. Completely different than a degree.

4) If you can rebuild a motor, diagnose bike issues, repair things, etc. you CAN get a job working at a bike shop as a tech. There's nothing that says that you HAVE to have a piece of paper to get the job.

5) When were we talking about a high school diploma? If you're gonna disagree at least have the decency to stay on topic.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.