Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Kraftwerk
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve all faced these struggles, it’s either due to a lack of space/time/funds or an ear beating from the significant other. Somehow, I have never gotten to that one special project rattling around in the back of my head.

There is something about frankensteining a motorbike together that appeals to me. The time it takes to pick over rotting frames, fabricating, meeting new people, and re-purposing parts to suit your needs feels somewhat artful, even though it’s not about looking pretty.

Mad Max was a film I grew up on and I’d be damned by my own father if I didn’t say it had an influence on my odd mechanical fetish now as pseudo adult. So, when I found this half torn down Yamaha in my possession it just felt like the right time to do what needed to be done, plus Cycle-Barn was having its annual 80% off sale that month.

THE STARS HATH ALIGNED!!!

WELCOME TO THE MAD MAX ROAD WARRIOR RAT BIKE TRIBUTE BUILD THREAD!!!

Code name: MAD-RAD​

Goals?
-Big ass tank
-Blinker delete
-Harness tuck / fuse block update
-Custom tail fairing / indicator lights
-Crude ducktape seat
-Air box delete
-Battery relocation / box delete
-Passenger peg delete

Current Objective: Tare Down

There is A LOT of ugly stuff I need to sort out in order to build the essential shopping list. Everything rubber is pretty much cracked and falling apart, it's going to need new tires, wires, carb boots, ect.

After taking off the tank to get good look at it, I realized the bubbles in the paint were actually pinholes from the rust eating through, and the cap had been molested with a power tool... That's cool, I'm not even mad. This thing needs a much more ridiculous fuel tank anyway.

But the wiring is going to need love. Every single ground looks like this.

And this is my wonderful fuse box!

I will be plucking away at this thing for a while, but by the time I'm done I should only have 5 visible wires with colored shrink wrap :)
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need both hands to drink beer tonight.

***Updates will be had within the week, or whenever I can get around to posting them, CHEERS!!!

·
Kraftwerk
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your fuse box looks 1000 times better than mine does. =P
Custom tail and duct tape seat should be cool.
Yeah I guess it isn't too bad, just needs two clips wired in. Its all going away regardless. I've decided to go with a marine grade box and change it up to blade fuses. Everything must go! I'm overly excited to expose the tail end and mock up the seat/fairing.

In other news, I picked up the most humongous tank the other night! It's off the XS750 Special, and lucky for me the guy parting it out was a VW , he gave me the fellow enthusiast hook up! I got the Tank, two petcocks, gas cap, helmet lock, and ignition switch, all matching a set of keys for $50.00!!!

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
Yeah I guess it isn't too bad, just needs two clips wired in. Its all going away regardless. I've decided to go with a marine grade box and change it up to blade fuses. Everything must go! I'm overly excited to expose the tail end and mock up the seat/fairing.

In other news, I picked up the most humongous tank the other night! It's off the XS750 Special, and lucky for me the guy parting it out was a VW , he gave me the fellow enthusiast hook up! I got the Tank, two petcocks, gas cap, helmet lock, and ignition switch, all matching a set of keys for $50.00!!!
I don't know about for that bike, but for a Radian that would be a pretty good just deal for the gas cap and ignition switch with matching key, haha. One reason I decided to go custom. Which reminds me... Need to go check on my tank's dent-filling.
Awesome, though!

And yeah, sooner or later I'll go to blade fuses... Probably sooner, because I'm already tracking down electrical gremlins and that old fusebox isn't helping.

By the way, since you're looking into pods, have you measured to see what size they should be? Came out to the carbs being 47mm for me, so I figured the right size for filters would be 48mm... But K&N's kit for this bike is 51mm, and some other brand's is 52mm?
Don't know what to order. :confused:

·
Kraftwerk
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, since you're looking into pods, have you measured to see what size they should be? Came out to the carbs being 47mm for me, so I figured the right size for filters would be 48mm... But K&N's kit for this bike is 51mm, and some other brand's is 52mm?
Don't know what to order. :confused:
I have not, but I want to so they were in 50mm range IIRC. I will measure them tonight so we can compare for a more definitive answer.

Did you measure the inner or the outer diameter?

(PRO TIP: One must measure the external diameter of the mouth to confirm size
needed. Apparently most pods fit + plus or minus - 1/16" from size indicated.)

also, NEW PARANOIA UPDATE!!

I couldn't help but notice the gaps between the mouth of the carbs were pretty tight, this has me worried. Most pod filters have that lovely mushroom head-like design to them and I fear the tapered ends are going to give me clearance issues. I have a feeling that I need to look for oval shaped pods (like these)or I can go the UNI route and suffer with the fact that we will be wearing the same dress at the carburetor ball... decisions.

·
549 Posts
I measured the outside... The biggest foam pods I could find that weren't like $15-20 a pod were 48mm, so I bought them.
If I have to take a dremel to the inside, so be it... I still saved like $30-40.

·
Kraftwerk
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I measured the outside... The biggest foam pods I could find that weren't like $15-20 a pod were 48mm, so I bought them.
If I have to take a dremel to the inside, so be it... I still saved like $30-40.
Saving money + use of a dremel = win/win in my book. I'm excited to see them,they are going to look fucking boss man.

After a few meditations with the thinking vase I've decided to go with the oval pods so I can point them in random directions solely for peacocking characteristics.

I have also been considering things for the other side of the carburetor, like something more than four 48-52mm boots holding it the motor. The mikuni system has been around for a while, I imagine after some digging I can find a clue or a bracket that might help the floating design situation. Is it totally necessary? probably not, but I don't fancy them dangling there like that.

·
549 Posts
The pods I bought are angled... I figured that way if they interfere with each other I can just turn some one way and some the other.
I bought new carb boots, so my carbs are staying with carb boots... But yeah, without the airbox there to hold up the other side, I need to support them somehow. When I get sheetmetal I'll figure out how. In the interim, zip ties will be fine. I'm not riding it anyway. I also need to figure out a non-zip tie way to hold the throttle cable in place. For some reason the mount on the carbs was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too high up. Maybe my carbs were from a different year, or originally off a different bike? :confused:
Doesn't matter, though... I'll just make something to hold it.
Huh... I could totally go get sheetmetal tonight, I don't have that much junk in my car.
Might do that.

I will say that with regards to the floating carbs, I'd definitely find some way to support them, even if it's just zip ties for now. My carbs don't have the boots tightened around them (thought I might need to pull them off to tune them), and when I leave them there for a while, they'll slope down and just about pull out of the boots... So when the boots are tight and nothing's supporting the carbs, I'm sure the boots are taking some abuse, especially if you're going down the road. As they cost like $45 a set, I'd like to make mine last.

G

·
I have used pods loads of times on various bikes & yes you are right if you leave the carbs bouncing around in use the intake runners soon split, I usually weld a small tab under the frame top tube & run a bracket from that to the carb top screws, that sorts it

Another tip is to lockwire your pods together & to the bracket or carbs, that way if a pod pops off like they do from time to time you don't lose it & that is money saved :)

·
Kraftwerk
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have used pods loads of times on various bikes & yes you are right if you leave the carbs bouncing around in use the intake runners soon split, I usually weld a small tab under the frame top tube & run a bracket from that to the carb top screws, that sorts it

Another tip is to lockwire your pods together & to the bracket or carbs, that way if a pod pops off like they do from time to time you don't lose it & that is money saved :)
A chance to use my safety wire pliers you say? Done and done!

I'll have to slap them in to take some measurements from the side of the carbs up towards the inside frame, but for now the wire sounds like a cool temporary fix.

·
Kraftwerk
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
::UPDATES::​

First things first, I had to remove the battery box, air box, and fuse box, and everything off the tail end.

I also had to remove this muffler nonsense

Then I got to sit this ridiculous Yamaha steel balloon on the frame and take a some possible mount point measurements!
Bwahahaha its so friggin awesomely big :D

I had to remove the headlight and blinkers too

I have all this room room for activities!!! (as shown by a 22oz of Arrogant Bastard)

These will be the only wires your will see, they will be replaced with colorful shrink wrapped ones that fit the theme

Uhhhg I have a lot to do.. but my work load is officially stacked sky high so I probably won't be able to make much progress as I would like in the next week or so.

sigh... gotta pay for these silly finical decisions somehow.

·
549 Posts
I also had to remove this muffler nonsense
There's no high-5 smiley, so thumbs up. :thumbsup:
Those mufflers are so ugly... And unnecessarily heavy. One of mine was stuck on there goooooood. Mini-sledge took care of it, though. ;P

Then I got to sit this ridiculous Yamaha steel balloon on the frame and take a some possible mount point measurements!
Bwahahaha its so friggin awesomely big :D
"Bwahahaha its so friggin awesomely big :D" --> That's what she said.
But that tank looks freaking awesome on there! :rock:

·
Kraftwerk
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Bwahahaha its so friggin awesomely big :D" --> That's what she said.
But that tank looks freaking awesome on there! :rock:

+1.3 gallons! I still have a foot of room to install a solo seat! Also, I have received double bonus points for being able to turn the handle bars without an interference problem (I save on xanex this month!). The cups fit but the tank itself is about 6 inches longer compared to the original. NEVER FEAR, I have a welder and diligence!

·
Kraftwerk
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had to get rid of this useless crap too.

Deletion of extra pegs

Someone had tried to crank down the brake pedal, that was a fun two piece puzzle... I managed to spin out the rest of the bolt with needle nose pliers, beer, and colorful language.

Also, this is what 2.5in straight pipes look like.

These are actually downpipes and a cat deletes for a Twin Turbo Audi S4, but it still made me smile :D

Ok, Must coffee and go to work!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts