Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is tons of streetfighter yzf600r builds everywhere, but I have not been able to fine super clear details on good speedo/headlight combos. I dont want to drop a ton of money on a trailtech vapor, because I have heard they are a nightmare to wire on bikes like this. As of right now I have no headlight and a stock speedo that is mounted on a custom bracket that sticks out way to much to put a good aftermarket headlight on. The style headlight im looking for is something like the one below, with the windscreen to cover the speedo.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle part Sports equipment Automotive design

for the speedo all I need is something thats easy to install, in mph, low profile, does not need indicator lights (blinkers, engine, fuel, etc) as i can take that off my stock speedo. But ideally I need a tach /speedo that fits that criteria, and I have not been able to find posts on the internet that go into much detail about the headlight/speedo situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those headlights couldn't light up your front wheel on a good night and in a lot of countrys aren't road worthy not being E marked. So me personally I'd look at some of the other enduro style headlights but nothing tends to look great if you're trying to hide the big standard speedo's cause they end up being mounted up to high to cover them IMO

As for speedos on the cheap maybe look at the Aliexpress Koso knock offs. They'll certainly do thd job and third of the price. Maybe buy 2 just incase one doesnt work ;)

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,219 Posts
What Teebagga said, clocks and headlights are tough. Enduro headlights are cool, finding one from a dual sport model will usually give you a glass lens. I like early DR650 lights that were also used on DRZ400's.

Trail tech's are about as some to hook up as you're going to find. They are durable as well. I bought a less expensive Koso unit once. It's so damn small I can't read it. Literally, I have to bend over to see the thing. Trail tech is a tough value to beat, but there are other options out there for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What Teebagga said, clocks and headlights are tough. Enduro headlights are cool, finding one from a dual sport model will usually give you a glass lens. I like early DR650 lights that were also used on DRZ400's.

Trail tech's are about as some to hook up as you're going to find. They are durable as well. I bought a less expensive Koso unit once. It's so damn small I can't read it. Literally, I have to bend over to see the thing. Trail tech is a tough value to beat, but there are other options out there for sure.
so they are not difficult to hook up? because stock the bike has a mechanical speedo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those headlights couldn't light up your front wheel on a good night and in a lot of countrys aren't road worthy not being E marked. So me personally I'd look at some of the other enduro style headlights but nothing tends to look great if you're trying to hide the big standard speedo's cause they end up being mounted up to high to cover them IMO

As for speedos on the cheap maybe look at the Aliexpress Koso knock offs. They'll certainly do thd job and third of the price. Maybe buy 2 just incase one doesnt work ;)
I dont really plan on doing a whole lot of night riding, i basically just need something to get this bike past inspection headlight wise.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,219 Posts
so they are not difficult to hook up? because stock the bike has a mechanical speedo
The electronic speedo is super easy. There are many different kits you can order that come with the trail tech speedo to adapt it to different bikes. Make sure you get the right one for air or liquid cooled, or whatever options you see on the list. Most kits come with a magnetic bolt that replaces a front brake disc bolt. Don't overtighten! They're a bit fragile and don't need to be very tight. Hang the sensor near that magnet and you're done. Sensor has a premade harness that runs up to the dash. If the magnetic bolt doesn't work for your setup, lots of guys will glue the supplied magnet to the rotor. I've had a few like that now. No issues.

For water temp it'll have an inline fitting you put in a radiator hose with an attached premade wiring harness that runs up to the dash.

Another premade harness will run to the battery for power. And another harness goes to the spark plug wires if you want to use the tach. I've got mine wrapped around the plug wire on my KTM and it works perfect.

The harnesses are tiny. The size of a throttle cable, so you're not ending up with gobs of wire all over. And they have different fittings pointing different directions, so you can't plug them in wrong.

This is pretty much how all the aftermath speedos hook up, not just trail techs. They're all pretty simple and basically stand alone from the original wiring harness, so you're having to hack in to things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts