Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the record, my BEFORE pic!


Ok, so here's the deal, I'm in the process of selling my housing and buying my new one. Once that's done I'll be able to unwind on my project. Figured I'd throw a little teaser out there and get a feel for what you guys think.

  • 1995 YZF600. (the base)
  • Newer style swingarm from an 04' + gixxer or r1
  • Frame & Swing stripped and Cold-Blued (same process I use on my gun barrel refinishing.)
  • Hand made carbon fiber tail. Not sure what I'll mock it up as yet but to give a hint, anything can go since I've just started getting parts together for my "vacuum forming table"
  • Marcessini style wheels, not real ones though...
  • Gauges formed into to of gas tank
  • Gas tank made of a material other than steel or carbon fiber...(can u guess)
  • and I'm clueless on the headlight yet but it will be a graft from something, (no ascerbis here)
Anyways, may sound like a bunch of cool stuff that will never happen but truth is, if I say I'm going to do something, I'm more likely to do it than if I just think it to myself. So.... I'll have detailed pics of the whole process including the build of the vacuum forming table.:cfrocks:
 

·
Build It Ride It Live It
Joined
·
10,684 Posts
Go for it man. My first fighter was that exact same bike. Started as that same paint scheme too. I did a tube style tail, small fog lights, etc. More of an oldschool/getto fighter, but it was great.

I like your ideas. some good original stuff. Get to work on it. I'd like to see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scrapyard said:
Go for it man. My first fighter was that exact same bike. Started as that same paint scheme too. I did a tube style tail, small fog lights, etc. More of an oldschool/getto fighter, but it was great.

I like your ideas. some good original stuff. Get to work on it. I'd like to see it.
any pics of the old fighter?

haelo said:
Sounds pretty sweet. Make sure whatever you make the tank out of is gasoline resistant :)
Let's just say the tank will be made of Lexan or Acrylic thats tinted. I wont need a fuel light, I'll be able to tell if water is in the fuel since it will seperate, it will be just as durable as stock, but with better curves, and I'll be able to see the fuel pump in action. I've been bottling up the idea because I didnt want someone with (easier access to the tools needed to do it first) But I know it will work. I've done my research and only time will prove my theory. And it will be vacuum formed so it wont look like a fish tank. Once I've got the process down pat the way I want it, I'll begin to create some universal or bike specific tanks...
 

·
GURU
Joined
·
8,827 Posts
sounds like a cool idea man. I remember ghost plastics for my mx bike years ago but never seen a tank(except buell which doesnt hold fuel). Im sure youve done all your research for it but be extra careful that whatever you use is uv stable. Id hate for it to tint and get brittle in the sunlight and crack. Also if you plan on stickers or graphics they do have some absorption properties and will cause your stickers to bubble.

Are you going to epoxy the two halfs together? you dont need to answer if you want to keep it a secret.
 

·
Naked from the waste down
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
YZFwants2FIGHT said:
and I'll be able to see the fuel pump in action.


That bike doesn't have an accelerator pump does it?

You planning on just adding one to add one to see it?



I had that same bike back in like 97. Learned standups on it and sold it. The Purple Beast. :LolLolLolLol:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tommy Pantsdown said:
That bike doesn't have an accelerator pump does it?

You planning on just adding one to add one to see it?



I had that same bike back in like 97. Learned standups on it and sold it. The Purple Beast. :LolLolLolLol:
Fuel pump is inside the tank on the bottom..........

shift1313 said:
sounds like a cool idea man. I remember ghost plastics for my mx bike years ago but never seen a tank(except buell which doesnt hold fuel). Im sure youve done all your research for it but be extra careful that whatever you use is uv stable. Id hate for it to tint and get brittle in the sunlight and crack. Also if you plan on stickers or graphics they do have some absorption properties and will cause your stickers to bubble.

Are you going to epoxy the two halfs together? you dont need to answer if you want to keep it a secret.
The material stock I'll be using is actually, thicker, lighter, stronger, and wont dent. It is pre injected with colored tint. I'm not a big fan of graphics and stickers, I like simplicity and clean. I spent 9pm to 4am just researching the bonding method and when it's done, you wont see the bond. Keep in mind, when you google "acrylic tank" nothing comes up. Which is what I wanted. Original.
 

·
Naked from the waste down
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
YZFwants2FIGHT said:
you wont see the bond. Keep in mind, when you google "acrylic tank" nothing comes up. Which is what I wanted. Original.

Yeah, i don't think it's been done because it's dangerous. Personally if I crashed I'd want something that would dent rather then crack. Last months streetfighters featured bike had a clear window, but not to "see gas" it was to reveal some amazing work that was going on under the skin of the tank. Electronics and misc stuff were under it.


Good luck, I'd love to see this done. Another great Custom Fighters piece.

I'd like to see it on someone else's bike, but not mine. lol

:letsride:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tommy Pantsdown said:
Yeah, i don't think it's been done because it's dangerous. Personally if I crashed I'd want something that would dent rather then crack. Last months streetfighters featured bike had a clear window, but not to "see gas" it was to reveal some amazing work that was going on under the skin of the tank. Electronics and misc stuff were under it.


Good luck, I'd love to see this done. Another great Custom Fighters piece.

I'd like to see it on someone else's bike, but not mine. lol

:letsride:
if and when i crash.... there will be alot to worry about.... You cant avoid everything.....
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top