Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross post from other forums
I've had my yamaha 05 yzf600r since January. Recent motor rebuild with 350miles on it.
Last week I recently rode her 120+ miles to North Florida, three stops, full off/on, and stopped for 2 hours at my grandfathers. Came out to no power. Jump started, poor idle, poor engine power (not firing on all cyl, just didnt know at the time) no neutral light, no low headlight, all other lights are fine. I Think rectifier. Replaced that, same issue. Replace battery, same issue. While trying to rev it, I see and smell electrical smoke. Kill it, inspected, blown coil pack.
Rather than having a headache, I let her sit the weekend and went to my concert (Jacksonville Rockville was wicked!) And truck it home Sunday night.
Soooo, I Replaced the coil and wire harness to be safe, same thing... Buuut, I noticed the left coil was overheating. After hemming and hawing, i went used and replaced the TCI/ECU for a cool 30 and it runs fine now. Curious, I test the old rectifier, 14v+ on idle, 18v+ on higher RPM! I think this caused all my current problems. I say higher RPM because I can't get it to show past 4000rpm. I pulled the fuel sensor and get the RPM error code, for this bike i supposed to see 0-8000-current repeat, bit it'll only go as high as 4000. Im reading about 1200 idle which is normal. I can hear the motor hitting high rpm on a firm twist, just can't see it on my tach. I'm replacing the gauges next week with an eBay knockoff koso to rule out the fried board though I hear the accuracy leave much to be desired. I haven't ridden or done much more in the way of trouble shooting as I'm waiting on a new rectifier. the other was borrowed and returned before I realized the current issue and I don't wanna fry all my new parts!
My questions;
What tells the tach what my current rpm is?
My current assumption is the tach board fried with everything else and is failing to read beyond 4000, what do you think?
At this point the bike is mechanically and electrically stock besides the exhaust and turn signals

Replacement list:
Left coil
Wire harness
Battery
TCI/ECU

Sorry if I seemed to talk in circles, just trying to explain this as clear as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I belive my 90 minute ride on an overcharging rectifier caused all of this. Battery swelled, blown lights, fried tci. A bad tci fried the coil, maybe got the charge signal but not discharge? Overpowered, over heats, and bursts. The second pack was never an issue. Not accurate at all, but seems to show idle accurate and it's slow to 4000. It only shows half of what the rpm trouble codes, supposed to be 8k shows 4k, supposed to be 3k, shows 1.5. I hear high rpm. I haven't done much in the way of trouble shooting other than looking for wire problems and discovery of my overcharging. I'm hooking up the aftermarket tach tomorrow to see if it displays accurately.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New rectifier installed, issue persists, though I didn't assume that's the issue, I'm looking at used clusters

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skipped the used cluster, got a new headlight and did an aftermarket speedo, rpm shows fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts