Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still bike shopping. Figured I'd make a new thread the other one was getting stale.

so ive been looking for Bandits and 900rrs and slingshots and tillers pretty much thinking that most other things fuel injected will be out of my price range then this pops up

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/4813604822.html

Just fishing for opinions I guess. I kinda like it but I am also right around 6 foot and I like the big brutish nature of old suzukis. The kawasaki was almost ALMOST so small that I felt silly on it. But on the other hand it felt like somewhat more of a weapon. definitely sharper handling than a bandit.

I guess the main questions are about general z1000 reliability and other pros cons. Would you or do you own one. What do you like and not like about it. Had any standout issues with it?

Ive had my eye on a nice 99 bandit with gsxr cams. hayabusa shock. the holeshot progressive springs in the forks. airbox mod and jet kit. braided lines and very clean. already set up for a big guy. The ad expired but he still has it. Anyway it's 3 hours away and i'm currently having trouble synchronizing that much free time with decent weather. I may not get a chance before it sells who knows...

then theres this Z. it's all stock but it's newer and fuel injected... And it's in my hometown instead of 3 hours away.

Forgive me if all this buying a bike schtick is annoying. I'm indecisive and I like to get as much input as I can. May be more months yet before i land something who knows.

Thanks for listening and any input.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is smooth. but the seat is definitely low and the pegs high. has an odd position sitting "in' the bike more than on it. From what i read people say theyre not that great for long trips but nimble for a backroad blast. It's its own sort of weapon not really a touring bike. not all that much neutered from a zx9r and im sure it does ok with bolt ons. I do hate the dual exhaust sound sounds like it's missing. but eh. whatever. it runs pretty ok.

the bandit's set up just how i would want one everything short of a piston kit. but I just dont know. I dont know you guys. Im torn.

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Where's Josh when you need him?

I like them a lot, but just cause they look cool. I've never ridden one.
Im here!
I have an 03 z. Its great. Really easy to work on. Common gripes are the buzzy motor and the squishy front brakes.
Its by no means a supersport nor can it keep up with a zx10 but mine pulled my 300lb ass up to 153 indicated.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So did he kill the stock motor just from prolonged wheelies? Needs to be able to do a mile or 2 on the rear wheel when im feelin sporty.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
If you go for the Z I've got some ZX9R cams that will wake it up on the top end if you're interested.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
So did he kill the stock motor just from prolonged wheelies? Needs to be able to do a mile or 2 on the rear wheel when im feelin sporty.
No he was just a badass and wanted stuff a zx10 motor in there for more POWER!!!!

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Umm dude, I know it was a couple years ago and its the zking but really!?

"But you see... I had this addiction to riding wheelies.
This is me pulling the bike apart after trashing the stock engine."

And from what I was reading when I had the zx11 is that most kawisakis have a problem with prolonged wheelies

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
:oops: remember kids drugs are bad. either way the zing is/was a badass bike and I'd buy a z1k just to try make it like the zking

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Umm yeah that's the ONE kawi that can handle prolonged wheelies without spinning a bearing. And I would def call a mile or two long wheelie prolonged. Anyways my point was he's looking for actual information about how well the motor can handle long wheelies. To go off and say oh it handles them fine he just swapped the motor for more power when in fact the very first post in the link you provided says the exact opposite is just wrong.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its ok its ok. nobody's perfect. I was hoping that was an isolated zx11 thing that they like to throw a rod after so many miles. Alsa wheelies aint everything but i like to do em now and again. I like to know that it's a motor thats known to hold up at least ok. Thanks everyone for input.

iiinnpuuuut!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so thats a no for z1000 wheelies? Thanks but im not interested in a 600. All the other squids will laugh at me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Riding mile long wheelies on ANY motor is not good for it. The one "trick" I've heard from a couple stunters I know is to deliberately over-fill the oil by about 1/2 quart, one said that stopped the oil pressure light from coming on his CBR in big stand up wheelies. Then again, his 1000 has about 40k miles and is so clapped out a 600 would keep up with it.

I have also yet to hear of a z1 motor letting go. They're very durable as long as you treat them with even a slight amount of respect. Mine currently has 41k miles and still makes 116hp at the tire (mag tests new rated it at ~120-122), and has zero smoke or leaks.

I have had very few problems with mine. A fork seal started leaking at about 35k, the water pump mechanical seal developed a slight leak around 40k. The only somewhat big issue the original fuel pump took a dump at about 25k, which from what I heard was a common issue on 03/04 models before it was updated. You can get a replacement pump on ebay for like $50, which I did and worked fine. It never broke down, just fell on it's face in the top end. I had one motor mount loosen up from vibration, as well as a hose clamp on the coolant manifold. None of which I'd consider anything more than wear and tear or a minor annoyance.

To be honest, I found it to have plenty of power for even the most aggressive pace on the streets. You can easily find the limits of the suspension and grip before you run out of power. It has a fairly broad torque band from 3k on up, and really wakes up about 8k before pulling to a top end of an honest 155.

The seat isn't very comfortable since it was plucked right from the 636(the whole tail was), and I found the stock handlebars a bit narrow. That said, I still did 500 mile days fairly regularly on it and didn't feel crippled at the end.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
still thinking about it. the style im definitely on the fence about it's the package and the price i find appealing. If it was a green one I'd probably have it already. other n'at. just taking my time i suppose.

yea i realize wheelies are bad for just about any motor I guess I was just trying to weed out the ones that really dont hold up well at all. I dont do 12 o clocks and scrape the tail or anything. just regular old highway floaters here and there.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/4788145619.html
how bout this
would I be crazy if I bought this at 3,300? Being someone who really really loves an original not fucked in any way classic superbike... I probably wouldn't be doing extended wheelies on this one. just a few hundred yards at a time :D
He has some extras like brake rotors and other handy stuff.

considering I can find a 929 or r1 probably at the same price in similar condition. But they just aint as cool. Tell me am I crazy?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts