Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Thudarcat Rider
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,

Kinda new here. Been trolling the site, getting ideas for about a year or so. Never posted my own thread, just some comments here and there on others.

Well I figured it's about time for me to post one of my own for my fighter. She's a 07 YZF600R aka the Yamaha Thundarcat! Love her to death, but I love her as a fighter even more.

Adding on bits and pieces and projects as I go along, as long as my wallet will allow it.

No major engine mods yet, just a DynoJet stage 1 kit.
Danmoto exhaust (fit for a R6, 02-04)
Wrapped the headers
Universal Busa type dogbones to raise the tail 1"
Dropped the tripple tree 1.3"
7" round head light
Smoked indicator lights, rear is intragrated with the brakes
Trailtech speedo (Vapor)
Removal of the Cali Smog plumbing (they added this to the 04 and up 600R's for some dumb reason)

Here's the final product, but let me show you how I got there:

Stock bike:

Current stage of the fighter project, I'll call it fighter phase 1.

Exhaust sound check - test vid (quality, not so good. It was shot on my phone)

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/88phill/?action=view&current=VID_20120816_195121.mp4

Hope y'all like it. I know I do :rock:

RIDE NAKED!!!

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Hell yeah man chop her up!
Subscribed!

Is the new tail going to be solo or a 2up rig?

·
Thudarcat Rider
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got done doing some more work.... Time for some updates

Started with chopping the rest of the sub-frame off :CK187:

Started working on my new Ducati Monster 696 seat. Fits pretty well. The trick was figuring out how to secure behind the tank.

New seat on the left, old on the right

Monster seat "hooks"

YZF600R seat "hooks" and latch. This latch bolts the tank down.... (I'll explain with more pix, see below)

They are not a perfect match. Time to figure something out...

Monster rear latch

YZF600R rear latch

Got the idea to use some conduit straps, and mod them and the seat to make a new latch.
I had to drill out mounting bolt hole, cut our some access points, and snake a bolt threw it. Hope I don't feel em too much...

I ended flipping the tank/ front seat latch over. It end up holding the seat down pretty well. Can't stand on, it's own with any support from the sub-frame missing. but over all it's held pretty well.

Fit's pretty damn good! Happy with it. Now to fab up the frame and make the rear latch and secure point.

And for a teaser....
Here is how she currently sits. Still working on the sub-frame. But I got my solo seat cowl in.

Looks AWESOME IMO!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
thats gonna look really really good.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Hell yes man!
Nice work on the mount. And the seat is looking freaking great, keep it up!

·
WannaBe
103 Posts
FUUUUUUUUG YEAH!

Also, I hate you! I was totally planning on doing a Monster Seat on my Thundercat... Oh well. It's a great seat and gives that shorter look I was looking for and just came across earlier today. Oh yeah... and the wife can still ride.

Sub'd.

·
WannaBe
103 Posts
I've got a 2012 Monster seat coming. :)

Do you have a Rear Seat Latch yet? I just ordered a brand new one for $25 shipped on eBay. There are some cheaper ones on there too.

·
Thudarcat Rider
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been doing some more work on my tail.

Mapping our the shape and structure of my new sub-frame. Working with a good friend of mine as he possess the welding skills that I do not have.

Here are some pix of the progress that we have made. Hope to have it finished up ASAP.

Here's by buddy doing some practice welds.

He's getting use to my new welder. Purchased here http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-68887-8494.html

It's a GREAT welder, especially for the price. And with his skills, it makes for awesome strength and beads too

The plan to work around the seat:

Ground down the old welds (previous sub-frames pieces will work perfectly), and now adding a support in the back, which you will see later helps the seat lock into place:

some welds done, need to put the seat lock into place:

Tried to plastic weld the seat lock and the seat together, didn't work.... So I used some JB weld (made for plastic ) and did a pass with some fiber glass. Need to sand it down and do a second coat.

More to come....

I will show the three locking points. The seat lock, the mount upfront by the tank, and the pin under the Monster 696 seat (I drilled a hole in the semi-circle plate in the back).

·
WannaBe
103 Posts
Looks awesome!

I'm surprised you didn't go with a Monster Seat Lock off eBay. I picked one up for $30 (shipped) and I actually was planning on utilizing the existing seat lock brace (like you), but drilling new holes to match up and weld it in place.

I was also (like you) planning on using the existing top rail as pieces for the new subframe. Looks like you've got a lot of grinding & filing to do before you paint. Those HF welders will do the job, but they leave a mess! LOL

Can't wait for more pics!

·
Thudarcat Rider
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks awesome!

I'm surprised you didn't go with a Monster Seat Lock off eBay. I picked one up for $30 (shipped) and I actually was planning on utilizing the existing seat lock brace (like you), but drilling new holes to match up and weld it in place.

I was also (like you) planning on using the existing top rail as pieces for the new subframe. Looks like you've got a lot of grinding & filing to do before you paint. Those HF welders will do the job, but they leave a mess! LOL

Can't wait for more pics!
2 reasons why I didn't use the monster seat lock. 1) I wanted to use the same key and helmet lock & 2) I feel more confident in using 3 mounting/ securing points.

Keeping my ass in the seat which stays in place is very important to me LOL. I believe in repurposing and over engendering. Especially when it comes to safety and function.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts