Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike, bone stock, 22 years ago

Rode it for 1 week. Wrecked. Hospital. Fixed. Wrecked. Started customizing.
50,000 miles later:

86 GSXR1100
1127cc slingy
RS36 flatslides
stock swinger stretched 5"
cut tranny
89 1100 front end
91 1100 wheels
Fox twin clicker
custom made seat
Pingel petcock
6 pot tokiko brakes
Hindle SS pipe
Airtech fiberglass fairings

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
not the biggest fan of the extended swinger but I understand the reason behind it.. this is a fucking nice bike. very fucking nice.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I'm subscribing for the money shot on that JMC swingarm, they are a work of art!
Good looking bike man!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like you have some good plans. I'm ok with extended swingers on big engine bikes 1k or bigger so I say go for it.
I know it doesn't look it, but it's already stretched 5"
Funny thing about the slabby tail ... it seems to look more natural stretched.
If anything, I'll make it an inch shorter once I mount the adjustable JMC.

I'll never go back to stock length again. Way too hard to keep the front wheel on the ground :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I was looking for a 91 or 92 1100 front end. What I found was a great deal on a near perfect 94 front end. Same forks, different yokes. Hopefully I can find 91-92 triples soon. In the meantime. Changed the oil n seals and polished up the bottoms. I don't know why more builders don't polish up the bottoms. They stripped and polished up better than just about any other stock part I've ever done.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Hmm, looks much better I'm going to have to remember that one next time I'm doing oil and seals, only thing that stops me from polishing aluminum is the fact that I'm horrible at keeping polished lol...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still haven't found the elusive 91-92 1100 triples I was looking for so I went forward with what I got.. I ground the steering stops off the 94 triple clamp and painted it up. Last time I did a front end swap (20 years ago!) I used a crappy Standmaster II. Scared as hell the whole time she would slide off the stand, I swore I would never leave Zippy precariously perched like that again. Guess what I used this time? Yup, the very same stand. This time I modified it to suit my purpose. I cut forks into the angle iron L of the stand a installed a couple of cheapo swingarm spools off Ebay on the lower motor mounts.

It worked far better than I anticipated! Not only is it stable enough to jump up and down on, it actually works like a center stand. When up on it, the bike sits gently on the rear wheel. If you remove the back wheel it plops forward right onto the front. Awesome.

While taking the 1990 triples off, I realized the steering stops weren't actually doing anything anyways. The oil cooler mounting bolts were making contact with the triple about 1 mm before the steering stops and doing a fine job at it for the past 30,000! LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Install went very smoothly. I used a pair of Danmoto adjustable clip-ons (total garbage) to figure out what angle I wanted on the bars. Then ordered up a nice sturdy pair of 0 degree Freestyle Ingenuity Clip-Ons.

Upgraded the master cylinders to a pair off an 08 'Busa. I had to modify the top clamp to accept the 86 ignition. As long as the clamp was on the Bridgeport, I drilled it for risers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts