Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally committed myself to building up the old girl. Started tearing into the bike a couple of weeks ago after ordering quite a bit of parts. Don't quite know which direction I'm going with the engine yet as my plan was to build the motor a little but after much harassment from a buddy of mine I'm re-opening the thought of a motor swap..... maybe? Going to talk to a guy next week about a motor and what all I would need to do as far as wiring and tuning goes so well see. As for now though I'm in the middle of powder coating just about everything I can and getting the fairings and tank painted. Here's some pics of part of the tear down and some of the new goodies. I'm absolutely open to feedback as I've seen that a lot of you here have gone through much of what I'm about to so advice as well will be most greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't worry. Just the tank, tail, and front fender. Got rid of the radiator covers because I never really like that bulky look they had.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an 07, got a couple of ideas as far as directions I want to go with it. I'll know more about that on Monday, going to talk to a guy in Daytona about a motor.... Maybe?:robssmilie:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the guy is was supposed to see in Daytona flaked out on me. No Bueno! Apperantly he had a zx10 motor on the super cheap so that got me thinking about maybe, just maybe considering doing the swap. I know it will be a huge pain in the ass and cost a lot to do but it would be sick! To my knowledge the only one to pull it off, or attempt it for that matter was Gavin "greencheezeta". RIP. I know it can be done so it's got me thinking? Was originally planning on building my existing motor some, which I may still do.i do miss the balls to the walls power of the 10r though. I do however have some questions for any zx10 gurus if anyone cares to chime in. Anyway gonna get started on modifying the zx14 rear caliper bracket to fit the z swinger so I'll get some pics of that up soon. Again if anyone knows a lot about zx10 drop me a line please.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after some serious self debate I've decided to build the existing z engine and not swap a 10r motor. I've already purchased nearly all the to fast goodies for the z engine so it would be a shame to let them go to waste and seeing that I've already sent the frame out for powder coat it would be a shame to cut it all up and weld on it just to pay to have it done right away again. Too little too late I guess... Any way should still be able to get some decent numbers from the z engine and it's always fun building an engine. I'll keep ya posted

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So nothing new to report with the bike. Been busy getting ready for a vaca to northern Cali, can't wait! But I did finally get some gas for the tig welder so I tried my hand at that lat night. Always had a respect for welders/fabricators but now I view them as true artist! Trying I get some practice in before I have to cut and modify the new headers so they'll fit. So many hours of practice are in front of me. Took a pic, nothing pretty by any means but I had a blast and can't wait to do some more so I thought I'd share.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So took a bit of time off from the bike and went to visit a friend in norther California. For those of you lucky enough to live there I'm most envious of the riding you get in! Every road is just amazing! Anyway came home and finally found a little bit of time to do something with the bike. Got the calipers prepped and painted and also had my dad help me a bit with tinting and buffing the tail light. Also started tearing into the motor a little bit.Should be picking up the powder coat work later week (hopefully), so I'll keep ya posted on that as well

So next up pull the head off the motor, port and polish and fit the bigger cams. Can't wait to get started on that!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so update, still waiting on everything to come back from powder coat. This guy moves slower then molasses in December! But he does some excellent work. In the mean time I've managed it take the head off the motor and get that sent to the machine shop to have it shaved. Gonna work on the porting/polishing when I get it back. I also decided to shorten the exhaust can by three inches so I pulled that apart and cut it down. Gonna try plasti dip on the can as I heard it can stand up to the heat and if it doesn't I can always peel it right off. Any way should start to see some progress here in the near future.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Holy ish that is so unacceptable! My PC guy has a 4-6 day turnaround and even that gets annoying lol.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Yeah, that is a long turn around lol...
But...

Those wheels...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts