Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a project that I knew I wasn't going to be able to finish, 02 Jeep TJ with LS1, bypasses, coil-overs, and all too much time and money invested, and came across this lil gem.

She's an 83 Tempter GR650, 33k on the dial, and along with that is 33k of road grime everywhere else. Starts right up, no smoking, purrs like a kitten getting a belly rub, and runs through the gears without any issues whatsoever. And of course has the "Full Floater" rear suspension...pretty much the child of the corn when it comes to a mid 80's Suzuki.

On with some pics...

Just after I picked it up from Fort Bragg.

New home

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was busy for a couple days, then I was able to tear it down and check out the bones.

Tossed my my stock Zed bars, so I could move it around.

Pulled off the fugly gauge cluster

That's where it sits right now. Picking up a stand from my buddy so I can tear the front and rear off of it. It has an adjuster for the rear shock that, but the knob is stripped. Going to see about fixing or replacing it, if I keep the stock rear set up in it.

On the prowl for a Yami R1 or R6 front end, 05-07ish. I like the look of the stock wheels on the Yamaha's.
Ordering the needed All Balls bearing set up
Looking at a V-Rod head light
And will be looking at making the seat and rear cowl.

Next will be to cut off the subbie and work on a set that it clean and will work with the thoughts stuck in my head.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few views, no posts and no real big update.

I'm in the process of working a deal on some 11 R6 forks, with triples, '10 clip ons with controls, 08 front calipers and wheel.

Been researching what other swingers might be an easy swap. Found quite a few, of course the SSA VFR fits, which makes me want to spend more money.

Purchased some foam blocks, tube and a new grinder, old one was toast.

Rear swinger is off and I'm pulling the odd shock set up out this weekend. I'll have some pics for anyone interested.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Dude, freaking psyched to see where this goes!

I really think these bikes have a bunch of potential. I was tempted.... no pun intended.... to buy one of these a couple of months ago near me. Passed it up, but hey I can live vicariously through your build now!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Ok so the rear swinger is off

and I'm removing the shock as soon as I get back from picking up this pile of parts!

2011 swinger, shock with master and brake, 07 wheel

2011 R6 front forks and triples with 08 calipers, clip ons and controls, 07 front wheel and rotors. Axles and bearings for both wheels, just need cush drive for the rear, rear rotor and whatever sprocket I decide to run.

I'll be messing with some stock levers, a drill and a cut off wheel and see if I can't church em up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I sold a project that I knew I wasn't going to be able to finish, 02 Jeep TJ with LS1, bypasses, coil-overs, and all too much time and money invested, and came across this lil gem.
As in the Crawl magazine TJ?

If its the one I'm thinking of............This should be good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is you, saw the name, thought about pirate. That's the jeep, gone to its new owner, phish from pbb.

Eating some grub, waiting for the parts to arrive....sooooooon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pic post whoring commence...the chit is in it's new home...

Jumped in the truck, input address, and the 2 wheeled passion makes the drive seem short...

Got some of this on the way. The goods aren't free

Head em up, move em out...rawhide. I heard this place is for lovers, but they certainly can't drive worth a shit.

On to the PRON!

The bounty!

Already looking at the swinger...I knew it wasn't going to be plug n play, but it might be more work than it's worth. Might be looking for a VFR swinger since it's plug n play for the most part.

More tear down will commence tomorrow. Maybe set the forks in place to get a looksie.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Any chance you could throw that front end on a scale as it sits? Been trying to find anything and I keep coming up empty......

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll have to take it back off to weigh it, since there is no way I could not put it on the bike today...

Out with the old. Maybe save for another project sometime.

With the front fender on

Then I had to take it off

I pulled the tank back to where I want it and raised it up to about the height I want it. I'm sure I'll tweak it once I get the back seat and cowl going.

Tossed the stock GR light on it.

Searching for a good deal on a Vrod light. THe stocker looks OK, but not what I'm going for.

Sketched this out a while back and thinking I'll stick close to it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pulled out the wicked 1983 full floater suspension. This stuff is HEAVY!

Set that off to the side and and try to get an idea of what the swinger would look like.

It's 6" away from where it needs to be. Looks like I can have part of the swinger pivot machined off and it would slide up in. Then get a new sleeve made and use the stock pivot bolt.

I'm up in the air on how this swinger looks on here. Not sure it works with the tank, but then again, 6" forward and the tank painted how I want it, with the new front end...just might work for me.

Thoughts, input?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I think it works. The swinger being so far back really messes with how it's going to look. Maybe someone who knows what they're doing can shop it forward?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I think the lines of the tank work great with the lines of the swingarm!
Does need to be a much shorter wheel base in my opinion though...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts