Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres the deal, ive got a 92 zx6d chassis and a 2000 zx6r engine. has anyone done this swap? i did a mock-up earlier today and found it to be a damn tight fit and none of the mounts line up... im gonna try again tomorrow and see if i can get the bottom mount in. if i can get one lined up, keeping in mind countershaft sprocket location, i should be able to fab up some engine mounts from some alum. or steel stock. anywho, im also concerned about the wiring harness. any info would be great, thanks!

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
welcome man. post up an intro thread with some pics.

you will need the wiring harness compatible with the engine.
Enigne mounts will need to be steel.
Check this video. it's a gsxr engine swap, but may help you

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like mission impossible. i gave it a try earlier today and none of the mounts line up whatsoever. if i had access to a welder i think i could fab up some nice mounts but unfortunately i do not at this moment. i have the wiring harness for the engine but it got sheared at one end from the wreck. i could probably figure it out with the clymer manual...

·
Winter's comin... :(
4,869 Posts
Where are you located? You can PM me if you'd rather not post publicly.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
looks like mission impossible. i gave it a try earlier today and none of the mounts line up whatsoever. if i had access to a welder i think i could fab up some nice mounts but unfortunately i do not at this moment. i have the wiring harness for the engine but it got sheared at one end from the wreck. i could probably figure it out with the clymer manual...
dont give up too easily man. get some C clamps and some steel. you'll need a grinder and an assortment of grinding wheels and cutoff wheels.

set the motor in the frame.

use those wood shims you can get in a pack from Lowes or Home Depot. get the engine lined up and shimmed in place securely. make sure the engine doesn't hit the frame in any place and all the gaps are consistent from side to side and front to back.

make some templates from cardboard. take the frame and motor to a local fab shop and have them replicate your templates. be sure to remember that the motor needs to be removeable

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im located in miami, fl. im going to college here, but ive got a welder available at the 'rents house a few hours away so ill make a weekend trip out of it and make some mounts. ive got a pretty good idea of how to go about it, basically fill the gap between the two rear mounts in the frame with some thick walled steel tubing, then coming off of that, weld on a piece of the same tubing parallel to the original bolt and bridge the gap with some flat stock... autocad rendering soon to come to better explain! id love to get this bike running though, its an awesome setup with so much potential for fighting it out! here are some pics of what ive got going on

·
Winter's comin... :(
4,869 Posts
If you can get 'er done, more power to ya.

I'd like to see it finished, personally.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heres an autocad screenshot of what im thinking. i think some steel tubing and something like 1/8" flat stock should be strong enough, eh? this bracket would be one of the two rear mounts, the other slightly different. then for the front mount, i think i will drill a hole through the frame and have an aluminum bushing welded in to have a bolt run directly through the frame to the cylinders on each side... any concerns or are we looking good so far?

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got some progress done, posted in my build thread: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38217

exhaust and wiring harness is next. does anyone know if i can use the ignition coils from the 92 engine with the 2000 engine? i know that the 00 uses individual coil/plug caps that hook directly up to the "ignition harness." can i use the two coils for the 92 and wire it up by cutting the ignition harness and wiring each corresponding cylinder to the coil's terminals?

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
i took a quick look but i couldnt tell much from the pics. the acad screen shot of your engine mount does have me a little worried. Its essentially a link that would allow the motor to pivot on. Since you said you are doing this for another one as well you cant simply rely on how tight you make the bolts to hold it in place. To make this work you really need your bracket to tie into another motor mount on the frame to help locate it.

·
772 Posts
I have a ZX6D motor you could have on the cheap if you can find a new clutch cover for it. It's got a header on it already. UNI filter wooo, but it's in Canada so shipping might be pricey

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
There's an option :)
There was a guy that put a 636 engine in an E...but dunno about the D

·
772 Posts
E motors fit into the D, so the 636 will would fit into the D.

ALSO a ZX9R motor will fit into a D but only the early motor not the later one. I know I measured!

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
There's an option :)
There was a guy that put a 636 engine in an E...but dunno about the D
D and E were nearly identical. They had some tuning differences in the basic engine and one was a little lower and longer if i remember right. Thats good to know about the early 9r going in. Was the guy that did the 636 on here? Might help this guy out.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the offer garret, but im gonna try to stick with this engine. as for the mounts, there are the two on the back that are made in that style and then a mount on each side of the cylinder head that will be bolted directly to the frame once i can find a welding shop around here. this will actually triangulate the mounts and not allow any rotation or movement of the engine within the frame (in theory). i might consider welding on some tabs to the rear mounts to bolt through the frame to prevent any movement for sure. i just wanted to get the engine in the frame to start working on getting it running and the next step is the electrics... i dont see why the 92 coils wont work but who knows...

·
35 Posts
coil on plug, is the newer, better technology, but, more expensive. you can use pretty much any coil, be it the older 2 wire style, which means 2 coils, with 4 wires, or 4 individual coil on plug style coils.. The 1 critical thing to remember, is that you cant change the ohms, total drawn, from what the original system was designed for, unless you upgrade the driver circuits to handle the increased current draw. If you would measure your coils, on the primary low voltage side, and tell me the ohms, they draw, or give me the specifics, on exactly what year and model bike the coils you want to use are off, and what year 636 your wiring harness/ignition is... I can tell you how to do it, or if you need to add some different circuitry, to make it work. I can even draw you a diagram.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
awesome! the coils i have are from the 1992 zx6d chassis that im working with and the wiring harness is for the 2000 zx6j/r engine. im going to do some work on the electrics tomorrow, adapt the older controls to the newer harness, maybe weld up the headers... if i can figure out the coil situation ill be good to go! thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts