Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ZX10/CB900 Thing?...

I love starting new build threads! :D so full of ambition and ideas with a view to a future bike that will look, sound and ride awesome, but most of the time ends up with a few posts and then the car breaks down and the washing machine goes and your mrs tells you shes preganant all at the same time... BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!

I have had this build in mind for some time and I intend to finish it!

The plan is to build a scruffy looking fighter with approx 140/150hp so it doesnt look fast, but it is... still want it to look cool though...

Parts scraped together so far include:

ZX10 engine and all othe necessary bits to make it go broom
1982 cb900 frame
ZX10 forks and wheel
GSXR1000 front calipers
ZX10 swingarm
ZZR1100 rear wheel & caliper & arm etc...
1978 CB750 tank (proper old and battered looks the nuts :D )
Triumph T150 Oil Cooler

I plan on having an 8" round flat glass headlamp, renthals, other bits and bobs will be decided as I go along, first job though is to see if I can lever that engine into the frame ok... but ive just finished building my new workbench in my new garage and looking for a vice at the mo too, so lots of pics and updates to come...

Also, if anyone has any ZXR750 carb tops lying about, I have cash waiting... :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts

Sounds great. I'm in.

Also, F'dup is giving me a run for my money as the "King 'O Gifs". I should really step my game up. :D

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Also, F'dup is giving me a run for my money as the "King 'O Gifs". I should really step my game up. :D

I'm excited to see this "King O' Gifs" battle unfold AND to see this project derailed by a broken washing machine!

Subbed!

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There will be no de-railment!!! and yes pics to come im being a bit useless, i have taken some pics of the parts so far just need to get them up, and ive been ordering bearings and bushes etc so I can get the rolling chassis all together in one day and then i can post some pics... ill get some pics up tonight actually, ALSO i managed to pic up a 1999 Gixxer 750 frame, swinger, shock, carbon hugger, rear wheel spindle, subframe, rear lights, indicators etc... for 40 quid :D so thats the swinger sorted...

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if you got the restricted carb tops, just shave the plastic stopper on the inside and save yourself the cash.
Thanks for the advice man, I think I may well do away with the downdraughts all together now as theyll probably be more hassle than whacking a set of lfat slides on...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Jealous. Need to sort my life out and get a real house with a damn garage, getting way too old for this renting BS.

Loving all the plans so far, this should be great, get it built already! :D Think you might have it done by May next year? Thought about the Build-off? Only a couple of months away!
Thanks mate! well chuffed with it, its not finished yet but buying a house was the most strssful 6 months of my life! id advise getting your heart checked out before doing it just incase it explodes through your chest whilst you're speaking to a solicitor whos thumb is so far up their arse they've forgotten what day it is!!

as for the build off, I would hope to have it finished before then yeah! would be up for it! I have no idea what i need to do though?...

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
The rules: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74801

Basically you and a bunch or other Cfers build the crap outa your bikes between November and May. The best, finished (the drop out rate is high - it's harder than it sounds), running bike wins as voted for by CF members.

I did it this year: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75066 but i fooked myself at the last hurdle since it would turn over but didn't start. It was fun being in "competition" with other guys rather than just building on my own. There is usually some sort of prize, but the main prize is GLORY!

Plus the threads over there have their own comment threads so folks don't spam up your thread with stupid gifs....

G

·
I'll be watching this with interest, it looks like you have a good start there, i'm wondering how you intend getting the carbs on, last time i did something similar with a zx10 engine i had the choice of either swapping the head for an rx one & using ordinary carbs or hacking the frame & sticking a bent top tube in to clear the downdrafts & filters

I went with the head swap & used gsxr carbs as the top tube job would have still caused problems for the style of bike i wanted & tank fitment would have been a git

1 - 20 of 103 Posts