Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I finally got my own my '84 GPz1100 'fighter project started and some beautiful yokes have been ordered, now got 6 weeks to wait! I have got a pair of ZX12R forks, wheels and calipers waiting to go in. No speedo drive on the new wheel so possibly looking at bar mounted digital clocks and hidden ignition barrel as the yokes are far too nice to be covered up.

Rear end is also off and I'm looking at putting a bigger swingarm in. I have 2 Kwak swingarms "in stock" but the rear shock is offset in both the ZX12R and the ZXR. Has anyone got any ideas on re-working the swingarms to accomodate the centrally mounted shock and relocating the mounts accordingly?

I took them to a local metalwork shop and the guy there said he wasn't happy removing any of the bracing to allow the shock to pass through, but that the moving of the mounts would be fine.

I don't want to start changing the frame so that leaves me with making the hole in the swingarm bigger and moving the mounts to the centre. As the mounts would need relocating can they be positioned so the rear end is raised at the same time? Just an afterthought but it seems to make sense (to me at least!).

Alternatively, is there a swingarm that will fit better and more easily and can take an 8" tyre rather than messing about with the ones I have? The width @ the pivot is 250mm.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Is there a swingarm that will fit better and more easily and can take an 8" tyre rather than messing about with the ones I have?
A 8" tire is quite wide for any OEM swingarm except maybe a 2nd Gen Vmax or some of the newer cruiser style bikes. Is there a reason you want such a wide tire? I'm not knocking you but a smaller 180-200mm tire is much more easily fitted in existing swingarms and will provide plenty of traction.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
My mistake, I thought you meant a 8" rim. After I did some math a 8" tire is 203mm wide. So you just want to fit a 200mm tire on a 6" rim? What about a Hayabusa or Gsxr750/1000 swingarm? They are narrower than 250mm at the front and can fit a 200mm tire easily with a centrally located shock.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I'd say move the mount on the frame and use the zxr swingarm so sexy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Doug, I'll look into the GSXR ones. The tyre was already on my ZX12R wheel. As it's my first proper bike rebuild I'm a bit unsure about matching brake caliper, caliper mount, swingarm and wheel etc. I had hoped to use the ZX12R swingarm as I have the rear wheel, spindle, spacers etc. and caliper from the same bike. It's also an inch and a half longer.

There are so many GSXRs with different swingarms that I'll attempt it another day! As for the Huyabusa one, I didn't want to use a top-braced swingarm. I know it's only looks but it's really important to me to get it looking how I have it planned, i.e. big, no over-bracing and preferably a bit longer than stock.

The whole look I'm going for is to try to keep the original swish look but with z-bars and twin headlights. The forks, swingarm, billet yokes and tyres I want to be big, but the seat is to be narrowed and given a Guiliari style, and the lights, clocks etc all small as well. I hope this will exaggerate the width of the engine ,forks and rear tyre. Exhaust is yet to be decided on, but maybe a shortie.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
If you don't want the bracing of the Busa/750/1000 arms then take a look at the '97-03 Gsxr600. They look like others but come unbraced from the factory. I'm unsure of the length though.

Later, Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts