Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Hoping you guys can help me out, I'm over in the UK.

Ok, I've just bought a zx12r use as a base for a potential fighter. It's a 2002 with 22,000 miles and is in excellent condition. I got it for a great price.

However, i took it for a blast and there is no way it is standard, it really is a missile. I've done a bit of research and found the bike on a couple of forums. It apparently has a Muzzy big block and internals....around 1380cc.

I know nothing about tuning engines and don't want to rip the bike apart if it's worth more as it is.

What's the best and most cost effective way to find out what the mods are?

Cheers,

D.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Ask the guy you bought it from

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not stock,

I ride a blackbird daily and I have rode a couple of stock zx12's.

Booked in at the dyno later today...should give an idea on what's going on inside the engine.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
173 bhp at the rear wheel, 98 ft/llb torque, no power commander on the bike but there is a full exhaust system. It's making a bit more than it should as standard but not much. Feels much more on the road though. Only realised once i got home that the rear sprocket is two teeth LESS than standard, would this effect the power output on the dyno at all?

Cheers,

D

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
173 bhp at the rear wheel, 98 ft/llb torque, no power commander on the bike but there is a full exhaust system. It's making a bit more than it should as standard but not much. Feels much more on the road though. Only realised once i got home that the rear sprocket is two teeth LESS than standard, would this effect the power output on the dyno at all?

Cheers,

D
I've heard gearing does have an effect... but also consider atmostpheric conditions can have a huge impact... temperature, air density (elevation), humidity, barometric pressure, etc, etc....

If it was me, I'd just make sure it was properly tuned and when someone asked what was done to it, I'd say, "no clue, but it's a fucking rocket"...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
No -2 in the rear will make acceleration on low end slower and give you more top end. The bigger the rear sprocket the faster you'll get up to speed but loose a little bit on the top. A smaller rear sprocket you will loose acceleration but have a higher top speed.

It's a zx12 it's a beastly bike

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I would say it don't have a big bore kit in it. My 12 has made as much as 171hp and as low as 155hp. I think it depends on the dyno and the conditions. The 12's are monsters and a Blackbird is no match for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts