Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
ive always been a biker, first bike at 2 1.2 years old (before my first push bike believe it or not) and never been without one since
so after parting with my 2006 z750 in may 2013, i felt a little lost, and and 3 weeks ago felt it was time to get a another bike.
Long story short, funds are limited, so i felt id be better off going for something that needed abit of tlc, and normally and advert that states "it just needs a little TLC" tends to mean "i've ragged the nuts off it and its a little worse for were", so i was a bit hesitant about buying a bike that i never knew, and then bingo! a good friend of my dad had got his hands on a zx6r F3, and was gunna strip it, nooooo!
so i waved a few bob under his nose and voila, here i am writing this thread as the proud owner of a 1997 zx6r ninja.
im 6ft1 so i tend to ruin the hi-tech aerodynamics the japs have spent decades on perfecting, not only that, being folded over like a paperclip gives me a sore back, so i tend to stick with bikes with an up-right seating position, hence the Zed.
Iv'e always modified my bikes, never been a fan of off-the-shelf purchases, cars/bikes/computers it all gets modified one way or the other, but the zed was my first "Big bike" and £3600 was (and still is) a lot of money for me, so i shyed away from heavily modifying it how i'd liked.
So, now ive got the right bike (that conveniently hasnt cost me an arm and a leg) and the time to actually complete a project, it the perfect opportunity to go crazy with some of these ideas ive had.
so, How the bike looked when i first bought it 1/8/13

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No, its nothing special to look at.........to the untrained eye, but to people like you and I, this was an opportunity to good to pass up, full logbook in his name, no dodgy hpi come backs, no signs of accident damage and FULL service history for a hefty sum of.....wait for it........£200, thats right two hundred english smackers, hardly bank braking.
thats with:
a near brand new set of tyres
Full, yes FULL Quill race system (not just an end can)
carbs balanced to run correctly with the race system (only 4 months ago)
no tax or mot but as its gunna be sat for a number of weeks im not too bothered, even if it was MOT'd i would have still been stripping it down and rebuilding it (for piece of mind)

So, after 2 weeks of doing nothing i finally got round to paying her some attention, i stripped all the plastics off, never been a fan of fairings to be honest, just an area for big corporate companys to brand with their ugly ass logos, No, i like the engine ;)
i wanna see the heart of the bike!
so heres how she sat on the 12/8/13

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after getting into it i wanted to crack on but inevitably, not one of the parts ive ordered have shown up yet, maybe im being inpatient but thats neither here nor there, the fact is im at a stand still and cannot do anything at the moment.
so instead of getting busy with my grinder and welder i rummaged through my shed and found out a few parts i had left from my Zed (bellypan, rad grill etc etc)
also have the headlight so have test fitted it using the standard rubber mounts it comes with but may buy different brackets.
here's how it sits today 14/8/13

i've got to say, ive ordered some renthals and some risers to do the bar conversion BUT, every time i look at it im liking the way it looks with the standard bars, so im probably going to send the renthals back in favour of the OEM bars.
Also treated her to some fresh plugs and its done her the world of good, she was only running on 3 because number 4 was arcing out, but now shes purring. She had about 4 litres of Sh*tty fuel in the tank when i got her (i mean it looked like rusty water but it was a mixture of stale fuel, 2stroke oil and redex) so the carbs could do with a good clean nut that'll all be done when the engine is dropped and on the workbench :D

any hints/tips/advice comments/opinions will all be greatly recieved, Thanks will update when ive done more or if my plans change :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone, sorry its been a while, ninja took abit of a backseat until i rebuilt the shed
but she's back!
i'll try and pick up where i left off and try not to miss anything out

well, as none of the parts came until the rear end of the estimated dates i got busy with the spanners.
if im honest this was my first FULL strip down and rebuild to be completed by myself, im by no means a mechanic (but my old man is) but i know my way around a socket set, and am a dab hand with an 'ammer ;).
so, all all remaining plastics, seats, hugger, tank etc etc removed, engine unplugged, wires and cables labbeled and with the help of an old beer crate and paddock stand,out she dropped.
right, feeling my first milestone had been reached i celebrated, i treated myself, put on abit of hawkwind (yes i'm a 20 year old lad that has not only heard of hawkwind but still listens to them on vinyl!!) and carried on, unphased by the massive task that lay ahead.

so engine was out, next step, get the wheels off, rear first, then stripped handlebars, and dropped the complete front end (using a tow rope wrapped around the frame and then hooked on the ceiling to keep bike elevated whilst man-handling the forks)
so, nothing in my way except frame and swingarm which came apart easily enough with an impact gun.

looks up at the radio..........4AM!!!!! sh*t, best turn in, got lost in the world of spanners and oil i totally lost track of time, but it was worth it, i'd completely stripped it!
phase one was complete!

and the next day? well, it was like christmas all over again (or in this case, a pre-christmas christmas :rock: )

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after a few days at work (im a self-employed vehicle wrapper, so its not really work, i get to play with big stickers all day, its a hard life eyy ;) )
i was back in the shed, armed with several packs of wet and dry and an assortment of paints that wouldve made any graffiti artist weak at the knees.
i slapped on the radio, got myself a bucket of warm water (with a dash of fairy liquid to act as a cleaning agent) and set about cleaning and sanding the frame/swingarm and all body panels, or at very least, the ones i had at hand that would be used.

so, after what seemed like an eternity i was done, and when i say done, i mean done with sanding.....so i done what any rational person would do, and employed my 14 year old brother for the afternoon, for a wage even sweatshop workers would've sneered at, and what did i do?...............supervised of course!

he did a blinding job considering it was practically slave labour, so as a reward i paid him double and set about mixing some primer up :)

i do all my own painting, from basic aerosols to full on metal flakes, i'll try anything twice!

so yeah, even though my shed is not exacty the dust free enviroment you'd want to spray a show car in, this isnt a show bike, its going to be a practical (ish!) streetfighter (if there is such a thing), that is going to get used, not led under a sheet if it drops below 10*c
so a few minor imperfections isnt the end of the world, but saying that, the primer came out pretty damn flawless.

Attachments

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
looking good dude. if you get a chance, check out some of the things that can be done with this bike. ive got a '95 f1 and love it. my thread is linked below.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looking good dude. if you get a chance, check out some of the things that can be done with this bike. ive got a '95 f1 and love it. my thread is linked below.
cheers buddy, the bikes a little bit further than my thread is at the moment as i havent had time to organize resize the photos, but i have a picture of how i want it to look, and i gotta say, its not looking to far off at the moment
im about half way through your thread atm and i gotta say, that front end swap really has made me think about doing one :/ just might wait until winter when i strip her back down
but thanks for reading! always nice to get feedback aswell, so thanks :)
more updates to come...tomorrow hopefully!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so, i got a few hours to myself today so after some resizing and organizing i have a few more photos for you guys

i'd primed and wet sanded tank and front mudguard and shaped the hugger (also primed that) so it was on with some colour.
first choice was cadburys purple! lovely metallic colour, but my local paint store never had a shad close on the sheld and could only mix it up in 2K, and i dont spray 2K
so thats that out the window
next choice black.............nah
so, its a ninja! and therefore kwaka green was the next choice, and after abit of photoshopping i fell in love with it, so i popped down the store and picked up 1Ltr of 1K and a ltr of thinners for £15, which aint too bad really
and once sprayed and fully cured i made some kawasaki decals for the tank

full colour scheme is green on black, with purple accesories :D
so the colour and decals...i love it, thoughts?

and also, had a ltr of black cellulouse knocking about in the workshop so went ahead and sprayed wheels black, and then stenciled some zx6r logos on the wheels :) i like 'em ........ but once finished i might redo them
\/\/\/ \/\/\/

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the great comments guys :) makes it all worth while when others can see and appreciate the hard work.

anyway,
some progress pictures :D
once painted and lacquered (also had about half a ltr of black left in gun so gave the forks the once over, and suprisingly came out alright so will keep them black) i let paint cure for a week, i had plenty to get on with so putting it together wasn't my main objective
(liek i said, the bike is abit further along than my thread)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so, ordered seat unit and chose headlight unit but theyre something to look forward to on the next post ;)
with ALOT of struggling i got the engine back in, didnt have anyone around to give me a hand so got engine sat ontop of the beer crate and used my home-made ceiling pulley thing to lower the bike onto it then struggled to get all the bolts in, but i managed it,
and then i realised that i had put on the swingarm without the chain :doh: ( i broke my chain splitter so had to remove and instal chain with swingarm) so back off with the arm and install chain!

heres how sat about 4 weeks ago :) after this point i wasnt working much so had alot of time on my hands so the bike came together quite quickly! :)
the next few posts will be recent pics and info on the build :)
enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sooooo,i might miss out quite a few progress pics, once i got some free time she kinda came together pretty fast and missed a couple shots but will try not to miss bits out :)

seat unit finally came, along with 6 complimentary issues of streetfighter mag from the mid to late 90's, its fascinating to see how far bikes have developed over the years and the modified bike scene (fighters/choppers etc etc) have sort of followed the same path they did back then
Anyway, the seat, its a hand moulded fibreglass unit, and isnt dead straight with a perfect "factory finish" but i like the way it sits, it gives the bike the whole "built not bought" feel ;)

and the headlight unit, i wanted something simple, but i wanted a cowl, not only because i like the fact it will hide the speedo and dash display but to hide my dodgy wiring aswell :LolLolLolLol:

i wanted to use the original seat, them stupid foam pads are nothing but a pain in the ass, quite literally, so i hacked away and the unit until i got it to accomodate the original seat and then got both the headlight and seat ready for paint.
then whilst waiting for that to dry i busted out my best cutting disc and lobbed the back end off, it hasnt lost any structual integrity but it has lost about a foot in length.
was at abit of a loss as to what to do next so i set about making and fitting and undertray and fitting all electrics in place, had to shorten the loom abit but the was easy enough, just sort of cut each set of wires back one by one so i didnt get lost, might sound like the long way around but it was the safest option for me ahaha

moneys tight at this point and i couldnt find matching purple cables all round so a good friend of my dads told me him and me old man used to to use heatshrink tubing, was abit hesitant at first as i thought it would look shit and would like a proper "half-assed job" but, take abit of time to make sure it all shrinks evenly and you dont get any creases in it and it comes out pretty damn good (its had new braided lines all round so replacing at this moment in time is pointless)

anyway
progress pics :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
things WERE going smoothly until, disaster struck!
another bike in the shed was temporarily leant again the wall and bang! it fell and hit the end can :doh: dorget to get a pic but ended up cutting the can down shorter than i wanted but im not massivley bothered, it doesnt look too bad but it iw ridiculously loud now :/
any of you fighter veterans (from england) had a problem in the past with loud cans and MOT? the mot're i will be going to is pretty leanient to be fair but if he does decide im taking the p*ss what can i do to quieten it up a little as i havent got the removable baffle thats meant to be with the can? any advice would be great!

anyway, cans stumpied, looms been re-routed and shortened and the belly pan off my Z750 has finally been hacked at, making it fit nice and snuggly on the ZX, happy days!
im looking into a front end conversion, and ive sen 95kawizx6r's thread on here about the zx10r swap, my question to you is, is there another front end that has been swapped straight over without the machining that 95kawizx6r had to go through? (i know bearings have to be changed)
ive strayed away from doing any MAJOR work on this one as it really is my FIRST full build and therefor most things ive done are cosmetic, but i love upside downs and renthals so as soon as i do front end i'll do handle bar conversion aswell :)

heres pics of can after stumpy, and pics i missed before of seat unit and headlight againt bike, gives you a sense of how it will look
any advice, comments or critisism are all openly welcome :) would love to hear from you guys and hear your thoughts on the look im going for :)

also went ahead and jacked it up 40mm :D

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Looking good mate!
Where abouts are you from in the UK? I'm a Lincolnshire lad myself and 21, seems most of the guys I go out on the bike nights with are a fair bit older than me!

Project is looking pretty damn awesome! Got to love the 90's Kwaks!

If you wanted to do ZX10R forks I have an F yoke set in my garage and a mate who can make a stepped bushing AND press the stem/bushing into a yoke for £30. I'd take £20 for the bottom yoke (cheaper than eBay's cheapest Buy Now) from the F, so if you sort out some ZX10R yokes I can have to ready to bolt up for you for £50 + P&P. That price includes a spacer on the top yoke (if necessary).

I've not taken pictures yet, but I've just fitted the yokes he did for me and it's a fantastic job he's done. He also did my wheel spacers for a tenner which was a bargain :D

I'll also take this chance to mention I do have a Quill exhaust I'm looking to sell. I crashed my ZZR600 with the Quill cans on and wrecked the right side, so this one is a left side exhaust - only difference being which side the badge is on. Could it be of use to you?

EDIT: obviously that £50 doesn't include the ZX10R yokes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Been a month or so since last post as computer broke and work picked up so only just got round to getting new one :)
bike is pretty much done, painted and MOT'd (englans road saftey test)
failed the first time with worn rear suspension linkage bearings, when i say worn i mean, when i took it apart the bearings fell out lol not entirely sure how i missed this when dissassembling and re-assembling the bike but i did
so replaced bearings and sleeve and she past mot :)
only problem now is that the rear suspension feels..............aggresive, theres no damping, and isnt responding to adjustment either, AND even worse i cant pick up a GOOD sencond hand unit for less than £90 atm -_-
sooo, my question to you guys is, is there a unit from another bike that is a straight bolt on swap? like zzr600? or maybe even the newer G/J model ninjas?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts