Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tiemishuu
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am trying to finish up my 85 zx600a1 project so I can start riding it.
The issue I have ran into is that I have swapped in a 04/05 gsxr swing arm and now my rear end has gone up about two inches (will go higher with new rear wheel I am sure).
Does anyone know of shorter shocks that fit?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Fuck lowering it build a real subframe get\make a nice tail piece and make it worth the effort of swapping that front end and rearend

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Hi everyone I am trying to finish up my 85 zx600a1 project so I can start riding it.
The issue I have ran into is that I have swapped in a 04/05 gsxr swing arm and now my rear end has gone up about two inches (will go higher with new rear wheel I am sure).
Does anyone know of shorter shocks that fit?
Thanks

Looking good man, what shock are you running at the moment? There is a handful of compatible shocks out there for suzuki's, a few swap charts with lengths and spring rates about here on the forum. Once we know what linkage you are working with and what shock fits it we can help alot better.

Fuck lowering it build a real subframe get\make a nice tail piece and make it worth the effort of swapping that front end and rearend

See man, not to single you out, but honestly that is what is killing the custom bike scene. Sorting proper geometry is part of a well built bike. Jacking the fuck out of a rear end can get you killed or hurt real bad. My old Bandit was jacked up in the rear and dropped in the front, stable as shit until it wasn't, then all hell broke loose, my disfigured shoulder and scars all over the place can attest to that. Ain't the first or only bike I had do that on modified geometry, better to stick to realistic numbers than by going by seat of the pants style tuning when it comes to suspension.

I can name a few names but I won't (Nobody comes to mind but digging a little can turn something up, I've seen it, wouldn't call attention to it if I hadn't), but there is a point where so much work has been done to everything, yet the geometry of the bike looks downright dangerous in favor of a look. Just isn't my thing risking my life for a style. The old water Zeds look fine lowered or not. It's all about the numbers adding up to a stable and well rounded platform. The ZX6A's were notoriously wobbly when pushed too hard, relaxing the geometry helped my brothers build immensely.

:twocents:

G

·
Longer dogbones will lower the rear, on a stock bike roughly 6mm longer in the bones = 25mm at the tailpiece, if you look on the side of the suzuki dogbones you will see a number something like 35F, stock suzuki ones with a different number 33F for example will be a different length (typically in the 165 to 185mm hole centre range)

If you cant find any to suit you can make some from 5mm steel plate

·
Tiemishuu
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I had the talent to do that kind of work and know the bike would be safe then I would do that.Right now I am trying to get it on the road again and have it as safe as possible for me and others on the road.
In the future I do plan on doing a complete subframe for a tail swap.

Looking good man, what shock are you running at the moment? There is a handful of compatible shocks out there for suzuki's, a few swap charts with lengths and spring rates about here on the forum. Once we know what linkage you are working with and what shock fits it we can help alot better.
:twocents:
Well I had the stock shock and linkages.
Today I went out and put my 85 gpz750 shock/linkages and now the bike is sitting where it use to on stock suspension so now I should have it roughly where it needs to be.
I now just need to find a new shock to replace the gpz shock :)

Longer dogbones will lower the rear, on a stock bike roughly 6mm longer in the bones = 25mm at the tailpiece, if you look on the side of the suzuki dogbones you will see a number something like 35F, stock suzuki ones with a different number 33F for example will be a different length (typically in the 165 to 185mm hole centre range)

If you cant find any to suit you can make some from 5mm steel plate
the gpz 750 bones should work out but thanks for the tip that will definitely come in handy if I need to make some

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well I had the stock shock and linkages.
Today I went out and put my 85 gpz750 shock/linkages and now the bike is sitting where it use to on stock suspension so now I should have it roughly where it needs to be.
I now just need to find a new shock to replace the gpz shock :)
Measure the bolt eye to eye length on the shock there's a giant shock length chart lying around on here somewhere...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts