Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ninja Fighter
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my cell phone and I've had a few beers I am not sure where to post this so if the mods would move me to the correct place for this question I would appreciate it. I was coming home from an area about 10 miles maybe 15 from home I could not shift from 5th down into 4th I struggled and I fought to get the bike down into 4th gear and I could hear the transmission tearing teeth like crazy by the time I got home I can barely make it through any of the gears and even in first gear you can hear the metal cracking and tearing around inside I found replacement gears or what seems to be the transmission I'm not very knowledgeable but how much work would it be and is there anything I need to know if I want to replace the transmission in this 95 zx600c

·
breaking stuff since 1978
1,530 Posts
hi.

it depends on what tools youhave and how far you are willing to go.

The motor will need to be split open to replace the trans.

Its not hard but requires a few out of the ordinary tools and a owners manual to follow.
but not hard and most of teh tools can be made or improvised.

my concern is that the trans is in the same oil as the crank.

if it was the trans falling apart the metal shavings/particles will be in the oil. that oil will of been pumped around the motor, along with the shavings and if its gotten in the the bearings in that 15 miles your bearings or crank could be damaged.

it depends on what you are wanting to do.

if you are not able to split the cases it may be easier to get a 2nd motor

·
Ninja Fighter
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been gone for a while. I removed my oil pan. There was an end to a shift fork in there and at least 2 c/snap rings in there demolished... I am willing to pull the motor apart if it is possible to fix by me. I don't have the money as of now to buy a new motor but can afford the trans with shift forks/drum soon. I have never been this far into a motor... Should I wait and get a motor because of the crank sharing oil? I am willing to try with some help/advise... Thanks guys

·
Ninja Fighter
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have pictures to post when I can get back to my phone. There are what seems to be pieces of gears in the oil pan as well. Cleaned them up and they look to have machined lines going across the tips of what I think were part of the gears... Not sure if the gears are smooth at the ends or not...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts