Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little back story. I bought this 1998 zx6e about two months ago. Only 7000 miles and for $500. Pretty good deal if you ask me, but with one condition...The previous owner had probably the worst taste imaginable. I'm not entirely sure what the final outcome of this bike is going to be but the first thing I'm doing is a tail swap froma newer zx6r. I apologize for all of the shitty quality pics, my phone is absolutely horrible in low light conditions. But here's some of my progress so far, this is without a doubt the deepest I've gotten into a bike and I'm loving it.

This is the bike when I got it about a month ago, as you can see, HIDEOUS. The bad photography and blinding paintjob take away from the fact that zx6e's were unchanged cosmetically from like 1993-2004. I really like the looks of the zx6r tail of the 98-02 generation, so the plan is to implant it onto the E.

Why yes, that is a god damn snakeskin seat, thanks for noticing.

The previous owner was even kind enough to include the "exhaust system" he had on the bike which consists of two RBP (Rolling Big Power) diesel truck exhaust tips.

Decided the painted gas cap was a little agressive...I wish you guys could see the paint job in person, you can literally feel the paintbrush splotches lmao

And the tail disassembly, never really realized how much stuff actually makes up the tail

And with the undertail and battery tray out, ready to get chopped!

Here's the new zx6r subframe just stting on top of the old. Getting everything to line up perfect is definitely going to be a bitch, but a buddy of mine welds aluminum for a living so hopefully this beast of a project doesn't get too scary.

I live at school so I only go home every couple of weeks to work on The Gator (as my friends have affectionately named her), so the next update should be when I chop the tail. Thanks for checking this out and please feel free to give me any tips or tricks you masters have picked up along the way!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys I have an update! But with every update comes more questions lol, but that's how you learn right?:D

Chopped off a majority of the old subframe

Here she is with the new zx6r seat mocked up, I'm DROOLING.

Now the plan is to weld the new zx6r subframe onto the original frame, via those little leftover nubs, and cutting off the mounting holes from the new subframe. BUT, I'm running into a little bit of a fitment issue. So the top of the new subframe and the old subframe match up perfectly (at the straight point by the cross beam where the front of the seat clips in) which is where it will be welded. The bottom however, is where the issue is. The old subframe bottom is consistently 1.5 inches wider than the new subframe and the actual bike frame. So what I'm thinking of as a solution,:drinks: is a slight bend to either the old subframe (inwards) or the new subframe (outwards).

Here's what I'm thinking

or.....

So idk if bending the subframe is a good idea, nor am I quite sure how I would do it. Would bending the tubing a small amount, say like a 1/2 inch each, structurally compromise the subframe? Keeping in mind its only the bottom. How would I go about bending it if that is the best solution? I don't have access to any bending equipment but I'm sure I could rig something up if that's what you guys think I should do.

So let me have it!!! Tips, tricks, opinions, bring em on:drinks:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pred, that was actually my initial plan, but the new subframe is narrower than the frame of the bike as well. So even if I cut off the remaining bottom subframe, the new one would still sit just inside the frame, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1.) F'dup, both the frame of the bike and the subframe are aluminium.

2.) Everyone, another potential idea is that since the new subframe will be butted up against the remaining old subframe, perhaps I could just weld them together horizontally along the top and bottom, think like if two of your fingers were welded together lol. Would that be structurally sound for the tail of a motorcycle?

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
That's actually a very sturdy connection, as long as the overlap is long enough. 3x the tube size is good. Ideally do NOT weld across the tube(s), only along length, to avoid a cross-wise heat zone that could fatigue and crack.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the rest of the plastics off, here she from the front, no plastics, hideous E tail chopped completely off

Ready to go to my buddy's house to get welded

And here she is with the new subframe welded on and the tail put in place, already a million times better than before

Up next is some body work on the tail fairing (20 bucks on ebay, FAR from perfect) and figure out all the wiring to the tail...rectifier, battery, taillight and turn signals. I also have to figure out something to do with the coolant overflow resevoir. The old tail had it up inside the fat tail fairing but I'm not sure it will fit inside the the new r tail. Anyone know off hand where yhe 98-02 zx6r's get the coolant overflow?

Anyways thanks for checking out my build so far:rock:

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Nice work so far. Could you show us some close up pics of the welds?

The stock coolant reservoir for the G and J model ZX-6Rs are bolted onto the left side of the frame. I've got leftover parts from my 02 tail, let me know if you need anything.

This is the best pic I could find when the reservoir was on:

And what it looks like:

Keep it up the good work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Pred that's actually really helpful. I went back to school today to finish up some finals but when I get home in a couple days I'll post up some pics of the welds. It all went pretty smoothly, we ended up bending the bottom subframe tubes to fit the stubs leftover of the original bike. We also had to cut and re-weld the triangle/truss/brace things and but it really wasn't as much of a hassle as I thought it'd be.

Any chance you have those passenger grab bars leftover? :D

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Thanks Pred that's actually really helpful. I went back to school today to finish up some finals but when I get home in a couple days I'll post up some pics of the welds. It all went pretty smoothly, we ended up bending the bottom subframe tubes to fit the stubs leftover of the original bike. We also had to cut and re-weld the triangle/truss/brace things and but it really wasn't as much of a hassle as I thought it'd be.

Any chance you have those passenger grab bars leftover? :D
Yup I've got them, the passenger pegs, and the tail light.
I've still got the coolant reservoir as well.

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
real nice work so far. to bad the tail couldnt have been placed/burned in 3"-4" higher to account for the rider weight to sit level

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
real nice work so far. to bad the tail couldnt have been placed/burned in 3"-4" higher to account for the rider weight to sit level
I do wish we made it a tad bit higher in the back, we basically just followed the angle of the old subframe to make sure everything came out straight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are some pics of the welds up a little closer, as promised

And since we had to basically stretch the bottom part of the subframe, we split the braces at the top weld, and then welded in a filler piece to keep the top and bottom parts of the subframe connected. Very strong too!

Next up is to try to get everything back together for real this time. Paint the fairings (orange plastidip for now), wire up the taillight, and make sure everything works. One issue I have run into is the old zx6e battery tray was much more spacious than the relatively skinny zx6r tail. Because of this I'll have to get a shorter battery and I'm trying to find a place for all the electrical components. Basically a jumbled mess of wires under the seat as of right now:nuts:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The horrible dark green and black took forever to get covered by the orange dip, but 8 cans later and she's really starting to shape up:rock::rock::rock:

I think I'll probably black out the swingarm too, but I'm sick of rattle cans right now

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got everything all assembled! Shoutout to Predator6r for hooking me up with the mint grab handles that basically hold the entire tail together. I got the new LED tail light wired up and slapped on a pair of "baffled" turndowns and now she's ready to ride until I decide to change something else lol. Thanks to everyone who helped and gave me pointers, you guys rock

1 - 20 of 25 Posts