Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 zx7r ninja(turtle)

here she is.... 2000 zx7r, 25000 miles. for the past two years an acquaintance of mine has owned this bike. in his hands it went through a lot! colors... riders... etc. from green to white to red and now green again (not the greatest paint) i remember seeing him on the bike all the time and i even pushed it off twice when the battery was dead, i can remember wishing he would sell it two years ago... she's got a pretty excting history too. first when the last owner ran it out of gas he left it on the side of the road to get the trailer, well when he came back it was gone!... stolen! 2 days after being stolen he threw away the parts he had for the bike (front farings, exhaust, lights-- he was driving it naked at the time) well that same day the police found the bike. it was stolen, sold to a guy, the guy sent it to a shop and 2 days after being stolen the police happened to see the bike in the shop that matched the description of the bike. so now the bike is naked. he then traded the bike for a tahoe (that ended up being repossessed) so the guy who had the tahoe gave him the bike back. the bike apparently has even been in a short police chase apparently. well he lost his license for the next year and had to get rid of this little trouble maker. and now she is mine for the hefty price of 480$ and a sector9 long board.....

(the pic is reversed because i was using the camera off my macbook if anyone picked up on the coolant tank being misplaced...)

ive had her in my garage for 2 days now, since then i have ripped all the emissions off and played with some wiring... no exhaust, no fuel pick up in bottom of tank, no headlight or blinkers, the fuel pump is now wired to a toggle switch on the rear fairing (i cant seem to find the original wires to power it....) and no horn and no front fairings.

ordered fuel pick up and selector for 60$ new.
just ordered KTM smc headlight and parts DOT approved 200$
vaccuum caps and hose 6$
universal coolant overflow tank for 9$ from parts store (temporary fuel tank) duck taped to air filter box... "if you cant DUCK it...."
grandpa has connections so my tank has been sent to one of his hot rodder friends to pull dent out and do some body work
hardware and fasteners 8$

after about two hours she runs!!! so i got to take her on a little test drive today, the 750 pulls pretty hard but the carbs will need some tuning, she sputters a little over 6k rpms. ill wait till winter and rebuild them and get the jet kit while im at it. ill try and keep this as up-to-date as possible and ill try to get a pic of my current tank.

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here are some pictures when i first brought her home, tank on...

my buddies came over r1 (he wrecked it 6 months ago and has yet to install the other headlight and do the wiring on the turn signals EVERY piece of plastic/ body fairing is new except for the tank and front tank cover) and the gsxr600 my friend just picked up 2 weeks ago his first bike he has ever ridden on, he didn't take it for a test drive when he bought it because.. well he didn't really know how, he is a fast learner though) im still louder!

and lastly today when i got to take her out and put her through the paces and my "custom" "race" fuel cell!

after my first ride..

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update!!

kawi shop ordered me fork seals, i only have one bad one but im just gonna do all four cause i really only want to do this once ya know??? 50$

advance auto to sold me the K&N filter 75$ (cheaper than dealer priced)

ordered front blinkers for KTM smc headlight same price as the ones online but i know they are bright enough and they will bolt right up to the headlight. $40

ordered one handlebar mounted mirror for 45$ off motosport.com (i used to buy my dirt bike parts from there) fast delivery.

i will be sure sure to do lots of updates and ill be sure to take lots of pictures while im working on it but that will be on the weekends because my bike is at home and im here in college.

·
fail-o-matic
3,913 Posts
i like white wheels... but your chain looks rusty as shit..... i mean.... damn...

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like white wheels... but your chain looks rusty as shit..... i mean.... damn...
ohh yeah it was so tight i could barely turn the wheel and it was popping and stuff the first time i rolled it as it broke away the rust. im gonna go gold but i want to get the kit with sprockets i just haven't decided how big i wana go. i think ill take the chain off and soak it in oil for a day or so then put it back on with chain oil for now.

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice bike ....glad to see another 2000 zx7r fighter any ideas one the front head light/guage's i just got all stock stuff semi modded right now
i like the big analog tach the rest i could care less about, the rx2 (i think its called) is kinda what i want as far as gauges go. and i ordered a brand new KTM SMC headlight.

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
White rims are the tits.
What plans you got for the bike?
at the moment i just want to ride! maybe redo the seats all black and get it legal.
ill enjoy the weather for now then come winter maybe boob the tail W/ back seat, drop the motor, paint the frame, etc. etc. im still deciding on the paint color. ive noticed the color of the metal on some kitchen appliances (don't laugh) but its the brown that looks kinda bronze but its brushed with a copper color under it. i think the frame would look good that color with black tank. IDK maybe all white then again

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I was just about to lol, I love it. That's a sick price on that bike too!

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep he couldn't get it runnin at his house so he knocked off $250! i got it home, put gas in the line via a funnel, blew on it to get the fuel to the pump (did this a few times to get the carb bowls filled and lines) after charging the battery choked it she fired right up (all i had at the time was 2stroke race bike gas, think of it as upper cylinder lubricant!)!!! i think the carbs need to be cleaned, im sure the bowls are covered in crud. then some tuning. the tank holds almost a gallon, it burns through it so fast!

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok no pics at the moment, all parts came in went to figure out headlight mount and i want to move stock gauges up above the forks, its mechanical feed speedo, cable is too short, any ideas??? ill work on it tomorrow and take pics when i get it to the shop tomorrow. think about it for me!

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i rolled out of bed (floor) at about three this afternoon, i have carpet burn on my forehead… fml. so i got to work! for once i feel like i have actually achieved something. i received all the parts, the ktm stuff came SOOO fast, 3 days and i ordered on a sunday! the tank pick up tube/ selector took almost 2 weeks, i even paid to have expedited shipping, on top of that i was never sent a tracking number or anything. cheapcycleparts.com i don't think ill be going back to them.

so i fixed much of the wiring! two wires that were cut came were for the horn. another two were to the cooling fan. so horn and fan work! kind of… i took all the gauges off so i don't know my temp now, but i rode around all night and the fan never kicked on (about 78*) out here too. ive been told these things run hot which i can understand, but it never came on (then again my buddies' GSXR didn't either and its brand new…) i puled the wires off the temp switch on the rad and connected them with a wire i had and the fan came on so i know its good. i guess ill ride it tomorrow and hook up the gauges when i finish riding and see where its at.

the tank pickcock was a pain!!! they sent it to me with a gasket but apparently you have to have nylon washers for the bolts or it will leak… it leaked. soo i cut up one of my grandfathers timing cover gaskets he had laying around and used its bolt holes, no more leaking! tank is on!

after i pulled the gauges off i installed the 2 inch mirror on one handlebar and got to work on the wiring of the headlight. i trimmed back some of the harness (since the original headlight used two bulbs with two filaments and im now only using one) the ktm headlight i ordered came with a wiring harness, it is very well designed. i cut the harness up and put weather proof connectors on it that can be unplugged. i then mounted the ktm mirrors to the back side of the mask (once again very well designed) and hooked up my blinkers with the same type of connectors. now that everything is wired the headlight is zip-tied/wire tied on the forks and it came out quite well the headlight even has a knob on it that i can adjust the light with to aim it up or down.

when testing the headlight i noticed that i only have the option for low beams, i opted for highs so i switched the lights around to the bulb its self. using a volt meter i have determined that the problem is not in my wiring but somewhere in the bike, im not getting voltage to the larger wire, only constant voltage to the smaller one that powers the low beam. there is no relay for the high beams, just the dimmer switch that i hope is not the problem. so on the H4 bulb do i have a single constant power with 2 grounds on the bulb? that would explain the lack of high beams, i was only getting power from one wire, but it was the smaller of the two, the other small was the ground (i checked with multimeter) i think my wiring is good though. what do u think?

next i went to test the blinkers, the rear have always works and after wiring the front i hit the turn signal and once again only the rear flashes. i have no power to the front turn signals. ive checked all my fuses and they're all good, what could the problem be… ill hunt it down tomorrow when i dig into the headlight problem

the fuel pump is still wired to the switch (such a pain in the ASS!) i haven't figured out how im going to wire it into the ignition, i wish i could just find the original wires!

i have no gauges as i mentioned so i have no idea how fast im going but the speed cable i zip-tied to my fork until i figure out what im going to do with it. its attached to the front axle and im pretty sure the tire has to come off and i wouldn't be surprised if i have to put some kind of spacer in its place when i remove it. i need to find a cheap solution for a gauge, ive got a tom-tom that id rather not use and i also have a smartphone that has a speedo on it that is gps powered but id rather not use that unless i have to. i really need to figure something out i want the rx2 gauge when i have the funds. any ideas as far as cheap speedo???

i also need to figure out the muffler situation this thing is loud!!

today i got to ride her for a few hours though, she's running a bit rich, i can smell the gas and she spits and sputters on hard acceleration until about 6 grand every now and then i could hear and feel it back fire through the carbs when i was riding without the tank. the carbs just need to be gone through and rebuilt then tuned. my neighbor races legend cars (#2 in alabama!) an it is powered by a kawi 1200 engine!!! so ill let him tinker on it a little im sure he would be a lot better at tuning it than me.

and lastly -i think- tonight i filled the tank up and after about an hour or so i got on it pretty hard through first and gas went right in my crotch… paint came off the base coat green and is now on my pants… i think ill order a new gas cap, the one thats on it has a hard time opening, closing, and locking/ unlocking, and now apparently it leaks! got any recommendations as far as after market caps go?? hit up my discussion thread thanks!

and now what you all have been waiting for, pics!!! they aren't the best in the world, cell phone cam, i promise ill get more tomorrow out in the daylight though with my camera.

personaly i think it looks less like a ninja turtle and more like something from transformers, the light give the bike a good rake down in the front without the rear sitting up so high.

a front view

and right after i finished we went riding ive got an awesome video of me doing a blow by with the gsxr, the gsxr screams by and its loud, the music in the car is pretty loud… then i blow by (not even that hard) and all you hear is every cylinder screaming, then, silence:LolLolLolLol:

i kind of dig the white rims but i want to do something with the orange, and i like black too. also my grandfathers '59 F100 is getting painted this week by a friend of his, and its goin this really nice charcoal color, he told me if i hit the tank with a da and take it to him he will do the prep on it and bond the tank and rear fairings then paint it with some of the left over paint from the truck…. for free! hmmm choices choices

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Coming together real nice. Love the white wheels. Locking gas caps are a pain.

·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Coming together real nice. Love the white wheels. Locking gas caps are a pain.
yeah the only locking ones ive sean and liked are on the new bikes… because they're new. maybe when they're 10 years old they will will have the same problem lol. any recommendations on a speedo?? i bought a schwinn bicycle one today but its not gonna work i don't have the room to mount it. ive got a backflip smart phone with GPS and a tom-tom… i want the rx2 guage

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I like that headlight, bike's coming along :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts