Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

before i start to ramble on about the prob is there anyone on here who understands how leccy finds its way around a bike ? i have a starter circuit issue that giving me nightmares !!
i hate wiring faults, they are at best vague and at worst intermittent, sneaky invisible shite !!!

cheers guys

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
Electric flows in one direction in a DC system. Does that help?

What problem(s) are you having?

Later, Doug

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Doug - its all voodo to me !!!!!

im trying to find a pic of a wiring diagram that i can post to make it easier to explain the problem.............or not !!!

essentially it wont turn over on the starter, iv checked everything and have found i have power (when start button is pressed) to the fuse box, but no power coming out to the starter relay,

but, whilst checking with a test light i found that if i held the t/light against the yellow/green wire on the fuse box it'll turn over and start, but if i remove the t/light the bike stops :confused:

sounds like an earth prob to me ??

also, whilst the engine is running (with yellow/green wire 'earthed' with the t/light) the kill and ignition switches both still work as intended so does that rule out issues with them ?

i have bypassed the side stand and clutch switches and tried a new starter relay, have another fuse box on the way incase its that, im just stuck now !!!

oh pics, i know we all like pics.....

·
2,781 Posts
hmmm? Ain't got my manual with me but sounds suspiciously like the removed switches wires ain't earthed properly

If it was just a fault with the starter relays earth it shouldn't stop running once that earth is removed. But the ECU usually relies on an earth signal from the side stand/clutch & or neutral before it'll work. Only thing that sounds odd is it takes 5 seconds to cut out when it should die immediately so possibly just a bad earth rather than a missing one

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm? Ain't got my manual with me but sounds suspiciously like the removed switches wires ain't earthed properly

If it was just a fault with the starter relays earth it shouldn't stop running once that earth is removed. But the ECU usually relies on an earth signal from the side stand/clutch & or neutral before it'll work. Only thing that sounds odd is it takes 5 seconds to cut out when it should die immediately so possibly just a bad earth rather than a missing one

cheers bud,
the problem started with a 'buzzing' noise coming from the fuse box/ starter relay area whilst trying to start it a few weeks ago, it buzzed/clicked for a second or 2 and then would turn and start as normal,
i fitted a new starter relay thinking thats all it was - made no difference, i checked/cleaned all connections i could find - i even re-routed the switchgear wiring as it was routed through the bars, just incase it was shorting out inside somewhere, no difference !!

iv just found out theres another relay inside the fuse box - fingers crossed its just that....... nothing like wishfull thinking is there :D

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
It's a bit hard to follow just looking at it quickly while at work but here's a diagram for you to take a look at. It's for the Australian model but the basic starter circuit would be the same, I think.

Later, Doug

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Super Moderator
3,203 Posts
It does appear that there is a "starter circuit relay" within the fuse box. That may have went bad?

Later, Doug

Reactions: ROBBO

·
2,781 Posts
in that case i shall earth it and see how we get on - nice one bud

no neutral light, its never had one which was why i had left the s/stand switch connected, will re-connect that now :)
yep... That should be it then.... That yellow green takes an earth feed to the IC either from the neutral light circuit (when clutch out) or from the main loom (when clutch in) so although earthing will sort the problem by basically telling the IC your in neutral it's most likely that the side stand switch wasn't bypassed correctly so your ECU thinks the stand is still down every time you cut that earth feed:D

If your side stand switch still on that's faulty and to bypass just connect the black an yellow to the black an white

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks again bud, will have another look tomorrow, hopefully thats all it is as i HATE leccy stuff..... sneaky slippery stuff.......cant be seen.......cant be trusted......grumble grumble :)

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Plus Bob, you gotta admit it, the P series ZX7rs 96 and up were extremely finicky as far as the electrical issues go.

Melted and seized cooling fan will fault the ecu of the bike into stalling out
100ohm resistor inside the ignition keyswitch housing
"floating" ground that requires multiple switches be exact or no starty bikey
the Kawi antitheft 6Volt grey wire is a bitch too, if I let my bike sit for a week or so it would have just enough voltage still in it for a few revolutions on start up or no more 6v....headaches.

Miss it still though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.