Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first ever build on a bike, and the most in depth i have ever gone on any machine. This may not interest a lot of you seasoned pros, and im kind of more doing this as a memory box for me then anything else.

The bike itself was abandoned in our garage and after 3 years of telling the guy to remove it, i applied and received the V5 (Registered Keeper not owner grey area, I am aware). This is why the title of this is ZZR600 25er, because it cost me £25. lol

The build officially started on the 8th of Apr 2016, with the removal of all the farings and the careful application of a screWdriver into the ignition for the time being until i wire in a hidden switch of some description. But today is the day (13th APR) i feel like the real love for this build has started. I have drained the fuel and removed a lot of stuff, but as it has sat still in the garage for 3 years, I wasnt even sure if it would crank. With a new battery attatched the first 10+ presses of the starter gave me nothing, it was just clicking. However, out of knowhere, it started to try actually crank. It is completely dry of fuel, so the next step is full service and top up the tank.

But the build has started and i have some very "unique" ideas that are possible, but subject to change through the build.

Time frame is planned for the 28th MAR 2017 for the infamous Ace Cafe Southend Shakedown.

I will try and post regular images and updates if anyone is interested, but i have attatched some images for now just so you can see the before and after of the bike to date.

I look forward to your "constructive" criticism throught the build.

Thank you for reading so far.....

Attachments

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
these are tha best bilds . You have a grate attitude and I hope this goes good for ya matey.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these are tha best bilds . You have a grate attitude and I hope this goes good for ya matey.
Thank you robsroadeater, I'm really looking forward to trying to get some of these ideas in progress. The Sparks plugs and oil filter have been ordered. Currently stuck in the deep dark parts of Scotland so building has already stopped after day 1 haha. I will hopefully have her running after next week.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have same model in my garage
Last year I bought it from a very first owner who did only ride it summer weekends. It shows 20k on odometer..Thats why I can't ever imagine to chop it to a fighter 😂

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
because i got mine so cheap as it was abandoned in the club garage and i was the only one to bother my ass to sort it, i have no problems chopping it as i will lose about £40 so far. lol

it shows 40k on the clock and i have no history on it so i wouldnt exactly get top asking price for it, nor was it in the greatest of shapes to start with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update on the 25er.

After stripping all the electrics from the rear end and locating them into the battery storage box, i have a clearer view of what is possible for the type of seating arrangement etc. There was also i big milestone that not only did i get it started, i got it to the point it would sit at just above 1000 rpm without the choke on. I gave it a quick ride round the garage but couldnt go far as the brake callipers are cable tied to the forks. lol.

now i know it runs the next job is to source some Nissin brakes from a fireblade as the last thing the guy was doing on the bike was the brake seals and when he left it, he lost all the retaining nuts and bolts etc so i figured it was probably better to upgrade then spend the same money on repairing sub standard callipers.

I have some top secret hidden switches. The plan is to have one wired up to the ignition live, and one wired up to all the other ignition wires so you will have to switch them on in the correct way (if you can find them) before you can fire the bike up. this means i dont have to mess about with the RFID keyless entry, or trying to replace the ignition barrel. It does mean that I wont have steering lock and if someone does know about the switches, it will be very easy to steal. lol.

hopefully i will find 2 seconds to get these 2 jobs fitted so i can start moving onto cosmetics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I managed to secure some time in the garage for a few hours. I have managed to get some jobs that have been playing on my mind completed.

1) wiring up 2 switches to take place of the ignition due to not having the keys to the Zzr as it was abandoned. This will be hidden, and both have to be turned on before you can fire it up.

2) removing the big frame that houses the headlight and speedo ready to attach the new circle light. Adjust the fitting if the battery so I could refit the seat.

3) relocating the Reg/Rec and coolant bottle to free up the tail.

4) degrease the engine bay.

I have the headlight on order, some smaller indicators to fit and I will need to make a start on the battery box the next time I get a chance. This was going to be a long term project, but it's getting closer than I thought to being rideable so due to finances I may sell my mk2 FZ1 to clear some debts and have the Zzr as my main bike for a while. This is still a budget build so I'm not going to go crazy on it, but I do now have the bug.

The big job is going to be the brakes all round due to parts missing for the rear calliper, and the front calipers missing the mounting bolts and needing a rebuild. Once that is done I am toying with spraying the engine in high temp black and the frame matt black.

Any advice as always is greatly received and sorry it's taken so long for an update if anyone is following this, families are so selfish sometimes haha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I changed my mind about just tidying it and stripping the panels. ive now gone the whole hog and am 2 bolts from the engine coming out. I wanted to actually do this properly, so with the engine out it means the whole frame and block can be degreased, cleaned fully and i plan on spraying the block black and polish up the casings.

The other job i plan on doing is splitting the wiring loom in half so i can run two smaller wiring looms down the bike to the relevant places making it a lot more discreet and hopefully more organised.

Its been a long two evenings but i am 2 allen key bolts away from the engine falling out (See Pics).

Oh and my multiple pictures issue was because i was on the ipad and it was having some security issue, its all good on the work PC instead. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The engine is finally free and is being cleaned ready for painting. there is a fair bit of gunk to remove from a 24 year old bike......

Moving closer to the garage has allowed me to still spend time with the family and then wander over when child and missus have gone to bed. which does mean i am doing 9pm - 2am shifts and still getting up for work at half 6 and walking the dog. damn the love of building these bikes

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The engine has now been fully cleaned and degreased and has had a hit of High Temp Black paint. The casings need to be polished up but i am very happy with the results so far.

I also made a start on the frame, it will be mirror polished hopefully if i dont get sick of it. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The carbs were left on but I didn't get paint near them, just the underneath of them. There was tape over the holes and securing the 'O' rings. All the springs and throttle cable are still clear of paint. And the head was taped of as I want that to be polished along with some of the frame.

·
Fearless Keyboard Warrior
115 Posts
Seeing those pics of your engine out of the bike are hilarious to me. Water cooled engines are so small! I've only owned air cooled bikes, so it looks so weird seeing these tiny little 600cc engines. LOL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts