Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

GSX 750 bobber/hybrid build

44K views 287 replies 24 participants last post by  GSX750_SF 
#1 ·
Figured I would start my build here in the actual "build thread"...here is a little bit of history about my project.

Make: Suzuki
Model: Katana GSX 750
Year: 1994
Miles: 10,640
Price: $350.00

The bike sat up for a few years inside a warehouse here in North Mississippi. It was going to be a donor bike for another project from the PO, but he changed his mind, & decided to scrap the project when he figured out that building a 'Fighter is collectively MORE expensive/extensive than he thought. So his ignorance is my gain...:D

The bike runs GREAT! The PO actually rode it down to my house, which was awesome, except that he's a moron, and didn't take time to inspect the tires BEFORE riding it...they are cracked/dry-rotted to hell and back...(do I sense a burn out coming...? YES) even though the tires are practically brand new, they were on the bike for the entire storage period...he's lucky he didn't end u doing a full-body road waxing on his way down...

My plans for the Kat is to chop the sub-frame, chop the fairings, possibly an SSSA, change the shock to an R6 shock, Renthal bars, new paint, and cosmetic changes for the bike...

Enough talk. You aren't viewing this thread to see me flap my gums...here come the PICS!!!! Offer up any/all comments ideas, & support...thanks CF. Looking forward to the community joining in on my build! :metal:

See less See more
#4 ·
Completely naked, stripped, and abused...:CK187:

At this point and time the frame, wheels, etc get degreased for some fresh color...

#5 ·
Ordered another tank off of fleaBay...the old one was just too much to deal with...got the new tank for $65.00 shipped :D

Also ordered a "new" ass-cushion
Headlight
Mirrors
Wiring Harness
Fuel Petcock
Throttle
Coils/wires

It was like early Xmas when I received my packages...you all know what I mean...

#6 ·
After receiving all of my goodies, I pulled the frame, engine, & wheels back out, & laid some paint on them...

Chopped the sub-frame to my liking...

#8 ·
Been a few days since I updated the thread...IF anyone is watching, shoot over your suggestions...please keep in mind that this is my first build, & I have sensitive feeling (LMFAO) so please...be gentle. HAHAHA :fu:

Different idea...

Chopped up Fairings (rough cut)

#10 ·
Thanks! I will be posting more updates Saturday...I am doing this in the back of where I work, so I only get to tinker about 30 minutes a day...Saturdays are my build days...

#12 ·
I dig the idea as well...but alllllll that open space beneath the saddle, and the way it doesn't quit mold to the tank properly....eh, not sure...but it IS unique...I get points for that, right? Lol. Unless you have any ideas, I'll probably scrap it...I like your seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

#14 ·
Here are pics of the saddle sitting on the stock seat pan with/without the cushion underneath it...IDK how I am going to use what I have, & make it look decent...suggestion, PLEASE???!!!

NOTE pic#4...THAT is the issue I am running into...should I just lay a piece of sheetmetal underneath the seat pan, so when I cut the seat pan to match the saddle, there is a painted piece of metal underneath so you can't see the 'guts'/wiring of the bike, then box the battery/wiring harness underneath, & set up an aluminum 'box' that will be the housing for my undertail...? Or am I over-thinking this WAAAAAAY too much, & just need to step back, & listen to opinions from the pro's? ;)

#15 ·
I also got the headlight in yesterday...I zip-tied it on in a mock-up location...now I need to re-route my front brake lines.

#17 ·
Thanks bro. Hopefully I will be able to do a cardboard mock-up of the undertail today...work has been HELL.

#19 ·
You may be a bit ahead of me...I still need to mock-up the 'boxing' of the battery, wiring, etc...

I am thinking about using my old windshield fairing as a rear fender...they were HUGE on the 94...just wondering if the road-wear will crack the lexan...??? I want to re-use as much as possible, & the concave is almost perfect for the swingarm curve. I'm thinking about trimming it down on the sides, & turning it into a smoke/clear-hugger....

#20 ·
hmmmm that might work, untill you hit a sizeable rock, but depending on how thick your lexan is, i have lexan windows on my S13, and they get scratched but usually are pretty durable, what about cutting up a stock fender from a 08 GSXF? thats the one im using and it looks killer. plus hella cheap on Fleabay

#28 ·
I'm going with red highlights throughout the bike. i.e. calipers, gear/engine covers, carbs, clutch/brake handles, red wheel stripes, etc...

#35 ·
Hahaha...yes, bracing is coming. Its an easy fix...I'm just going to run a brace from the tail of the sub back to the main section. Prob 20 minutes worth of work.

#36 ·
On another note, I tested that tubing Suzuki used...on a section the same length as my seat, it took 356 lbs of pressure to bend it.

#38 ·
J

Yea...that was pretty much it. I was brainstorming seats...I sat there and thought, "what is comfortable, that I could sit in for hours at a time, but also conforms to my ass...?" That is what popped to mind. Lol.

And yes, I found Statics build on here about a week after I started mine...its pretty nuts that we are going the same route with our build. Down to the same hugger template. I swear, I'm putting a Twinkie sticker on mine...even if its just for a pic. Lol

#39 ·
well its definitely a hit and gonna look badass once its done!! I was helping a buddy with a chopper project and thought about something off the wall but couldn't bring myself to cut up anything. More so because I didnt want to be out of a one of a kind piece and be back at square one >.< Yeah you guys are on a very strange wavelength, kinda awesome slightly odd but hey I'm goin with the ladder and your both gonna have a pair of good lookin bikes that much is clear keep at it and DW!!

#40 ·
So I am planning on changing the entire 'look' of the seat...(courtesy of StaticLowLife and his imagination) And I am currently looking at mounting the seat over the back wheel, where it will be literally "hanging in space" time to make this puppy a real bobber...my question is this: Will this diagram work for welding onto the current frame? It is not EXACTLY correct, but the placement should work, right...? Thanks for the advice/input gents!

***EDIT*** The seat will mount directly to #1 line in the drawing...the battery box will be re-located directly under the seat horizontally & will house the fuses/battery/ECU/wiring in one, enclosed aluminum box.

#42 ·
Thanks brotha! I'm working a a minimal budget right now...but its coming together...!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.