Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
mekanik
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
new topic...carbs!

OK, so i finally got around to disassembling the carbs this morning, and first off, the slides were completely seized, i spray some wd40 into there to let them sit, and decide to go ahead and remove the float bowl, and lo, there are stalactites forming in there.

it's really terrible looking in there.

i'm a cost-effective guy, the bike is far from original, i've already bought "rebuild" kits for each one, but i'm pretty sure, i'm going to need a little more than what's in the kit, and i don't mind returning the new kits i bought.

so what say you, rebuild or get another set?

anyone tried other carbs, like a stock banshee pair?

also still looking for input on the front rotor spacer...

·
mekanik
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Swamp Witch
6,239 Posts
Careful with those carbs from Asia. I had one I bought for my CB100 that literally broke apart in my hands because the casting was so bad. It was also a "Keihin". I put that in quotes because it was obviously a fake. I ended up buying a vintage carb and rebuilt it.

·
mekanik
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
that's what i've read/heard, you either get a solid accurate clone, or a POS failure. i rolled the dice...

·
mekanik
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
new progress update posted over on the build thread...i really need to work harder at taking more pics, or have a friend do it.

soooo, the next big thing is going to be the rotor spacer, need to get that sorted. after talking to an engineer buddy, having long bolts pass all the way thru the spacer will be about the same as bolting the spacer to the hub and bolting the rotor to the spacer, except cheaper and less complicated! i like simple solutions.

speaking of spacers, i need to make one for the upper triple still, as well as space the rear wheel and caliper hanger back there, and have the rotor narrowed, diameter shrunk, and cross drilled.

need to make the stingers and silencers, and plan out and build silencer supports.

need to order the CDI as well as work out either narrowing the sprockets to 520 width or ordering all-new...

still so much to do!!

·
holagan
540 Posts
I just picked up a 1970 rd350. So I will be following along with you. This will be my first 2 stroke bike so its going to get interesting real quick.

·
mekanik
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
made some progress on the pipes today, re-covered the seat the other day, slapped the new OKO pwk carbs on...haha, it will be running SOON!!!

·
complete asshole
898 Posts
if you need a hand p.m. me, i am about twenty minutes from katy on the northside

·
mekanik
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
HOLY ZOMBIE THREAD!!

I pulled this bike out the corner a month ago and have been tinkering away.

I ended up ditching the R1 forks for some older SRAD forks, ditched the clip ons in favor of a cheapo superbike bend steel bar, ditched the tank for an older rd200 tank, started making a seat (in the pic is just taped together underneath).....million more things to do to be rideable, but it's progressing.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts