Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

CafeRacerDans OldSkool Fighter 7/12

11K views 87 replies 13 participants last post by  370steve 
#1 ·
Well its that time of year again! sold the CBR last week so I could bring the bike out my bedroom...right here goes

The plan:
1988 Gsxr 750 frame
Bandit 1200 motor
Bandit carbs with foam filters
stubby tail
as short of a wheelbase as possible
as light as possible (budget dependant)
As simple as possible

Ok so the pictures...

See less See more
#2 ·
CafeRacerDans OldSkool Fighter 7/12 Discussion

All advice/help and compliments welcome...any criticisms will be rewarded with :fu::fu::fu:

#4 ·
Re: CafeRacerDans OldSkool Fighter 7/12 Discussion

was hard enough getting it down the stairs as a rolling chassis so I aint bringing it down when its 100kg heavier!

#6 ·
ok update time...
Not got much done on the bike sadly as very busy working atm...Did try to cut the rest of the stock subframe off today but my angle grinder bit the dust and died half way through final grinding session...damnit!

Im thinking ahead to my subframe too...my original intention was to use square tubing with adaptors in the end so I can bolt them to the frame with rose joints...now I can find the adapters for round tubing (see example below) but none for 7/8ths/20mm ID square tube...any suggestions? alternatives or different methods of mounting the subframe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182320527543?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

#7 ·

caferacerdan; said:
Im thinking ahead to my subframe too...my original intention was to use square tubing with adaptors in the end so I can bolt them to the frame with rose joints...now I can find the adapters for round tubing (see example below) but none for 7/8ths/20mm ID square tube...any suggestions? alternatives or different methods of mounting the subframe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1823205275...:MEBIDX:IT
Use round tube?

#10 ·

Use round tube?
An M10 nut is 19mm across the corners, weld them in the end of the square tube? or get flanged nuts, put them in the end of the tube and weld the flange to the tube, with the hex part inside.
get bigger one, and machine end square
welding round tube is more difficult (suppose it would mean I would get more practice in!) but just think square tube will look better with the square frame of the gsxr

#11 ·

An M10 nut is 19mm across the corners, weld them in the end of the square tube? or get flanged nuts, put them in the end of the tube and weld the flange to the tube, with the hex part inside.
didnt know whether that would be structurally strong enough or not! new to building bolt on subframes!

#14 ·

As a Ducati lover, round-tube is where my heart is. Square tube subframe = shitty 90s CBR600F.

#16 ·

Shitty or not but f2-f3 has round tube subframes
^ hes right ya'know!

might just buy all the parts for both square and round and see what i prefer on the mockup!

#17 ·
Bit more work done today, got the last of the rear wheel spacers and frame appears straight so...
Cut off rest of the original subby

needed to make a contraption to keep all my new subframe tabs inline vertically and horizontally so came up with this...

#20 ·

Well gonna just buy loads of of tubing and see what takes my fancy...still not bought my welder yet...procrastinating as they are expensive as fuck!

found these gems to use if i chose square in the end.

#21 ·
well not been doing much as been busy working!

cleaned up and sprayed engine mounts today and also bought a full set of stainless steel engine mounting bolts (not cheap) but will help keep rust at bay!

motor to go in in next 48 hours hopefully...

heard from my fibreglass guy that my tail is coming along nicely! also a swingarm swap might be happening as I think iv bought something thats gonna need ALOT of planning to make it work but it should help 'finish' off the bike!

#22 ·
motor and carbs are in :) clearance with a 750j frame and a 12 motor for fuel tap is minimal

#23 ·
havent done any work on this but have been busy finding parts.

Sourced an SRAD front wheel for a steal of a price so this can be used with the 2005 gsxr750 forks in the TL1000 yokes with spacers made so I can run the radial brakes on larger 320mm discs. Also sourced a k6 1000 radial MC to finish it all off.

#27 ·

didn't realise it was a build off thread ...... prob because Dan needs to do more work more often :LolLolLolLol:
shush iv been busy working! yup got the entire front end just not the discs!

will crack on ASAP! getting the tail and another surprise in Jan, gathering everything for the front end swap so I can throw that on permanently! got to clean up exhaust then the rest im waiting on the tail etc before I get the lugs welded on etc

#28 ·
should be getting some photos and measurements of the new tail this weekend so I can get the lugs welded to the frame ready to build the subframe as soon as i pick the tail up...I move house in 3 weeks and new one has no garage (good job its only 2 miles down the road from my parents place which does) so will probably book a few days off in the next couple of weeks and try and get lugs welded on and pick up my parts ready to do shit loads of work to catch up!

#29 ·
time for a proper update with PICS!!!

First of all I have now gathered all of the major parts to do the front end swap, just need to order fork seals and special bearings...

new front forks and brakes using spacers on calliper mounts to run bigger 320mm discs (2005 gsxr 750)

new wheel and disc spacers (Srad 750/600)

Yokes (TLR bottom, TLS top)

Then cut off the lockstop of TLR yoke and gave it a good buff and also cut the old bearings off with a dremel

Plan is to drill a hole centre front and make a bolt on lockstop

AND finally...the first look at my tail...still being made by my fibreglass guy

#30 ·

caferacerdan said:
First of all I have now gathered all of the major parts to do the front end swap
Very interested to see how you incorporate the axe.

#33 ·

do like Eds old one althoguh wasnt a fan of all white!

still unsure about angle of tail, whether to go more race style like guy martins and use clip ons with it...

or go kicked up and fit some fatbars and turn it into another wheelie bike since short wheelbase and torquey motor etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.